Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Share your Reynolds Assaults

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Share your Reynolds Assaults

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 01:36 PM
vic32amg

Bikes: Cervelo S5 SRAM Red -

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok not assaults but figured I would review the attacks since many have mixed opinions on them I could give a fair review on the 08 version of the wheel. Yes previous models were slightly different and the 2008 model is improved. perhaps not noticable to most.

Here is my bike with them on ( labels removed )

First of all , great looking wheel. i was really surprised upon inspection to find how nice these wheels were. Considering that lately I have been pushing Mavic Ultimates (40mm) and DV46UL's. These wheels look very nice and the profile seems pretty clean (Attacks have a 32mm profile.)

this is the first set of carbon wheels I have owned that are considered low profile, and also a full carbon clincher (unlike the 404 clinchers I had) so I was not sure what to expect.
before even riding the wheels I could tell the hubs were packed rather tight. this is not uncommon for Reynolds product but thought I would mention. As for revisions I was told that the hub is made in taiwan ( what bike part is not ) and is the same that come with the Assaults. if one is not happy with the hubs, ceramics bearing can be had here at a relatively low price https://www.velocarbon.com/ceramicbearings.html.
the initial problems with the attacks was word of spoke breakage. that was when they were first introduced and since then they have changed the assembly location and now things have been very good since.
as for performance the wheels feel great. will certainly take some break in time, but I imagine (if i keep them that long) that they will be a very nice medium in weight and performance. I will say that the braking was ALOT better than my DV46/ZIPPS. very surprising. I use Swisstop Yellow ( toe in ) on the front and the reynolds carbon specific pad in the back. I supposed the reynolds pad would have worked just as good up front but I was to lazy to swapped the front one in. The wheel feel relatively stiff, perhaps not as stiff as my DV46's but pretty close. . Also I am WAY overweight for myself (181 lbs - my wife and I just had our first child and I have been eating poorly and not training enough )

but overall for the price I would say a great alternative to other clincher wheels in the same price bracket - Mavic R-Sys. , etc..

BTW- i have never seen a Reynolds rim break or crack and many of my riding friends use them for day to day training.

I am expecting some SDV66's soon so these will be blown out. let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by vic32amg; 06-09-08 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 11:34 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got some good pics of my bike with the new Assaults.

I guess Orbeas love Reynolds
Old 05-18-08, 05:44 AM
jamiewilson3

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do the negative G's work with them and what pad are you using? I have a set that I may put on.
Old 05-18-08, 11:23 AM
vic32amg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets start putting a list together of those that would like to be involved in a Reynolds group buy. This way I can account for how many sets will move and what kind of pricing I can get. right now if I do more than 8 I can assure us $999.99 with OEM packaging , brake pads, Skewers, tools and warranty card. I don't wanna do a thread yet unless a tremendous amount of interest builds. then perhaps its thread worthy.
Old 05-18-08, 12:49 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vic32amg
Lets start putting a list together of those that would like to be involved in a Reynolds group buy. This way I can account for how many sets will move and what kind of pricing I can get. right now if I do more than 8 I can assure us $999.99 with OEM packaging , brake pads, Skewers, tools and warranty card. I don't wanna do a thread yet unless a tremendous amount of interest builds. then perhaps its thread worthy.
Count me in if we can get campy
Old 05-18-08, 03:56 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamiewilson3
How do the negative G's work with them and what pad are you using? I have a set that I may put on.
The brakes are just as effective on the carbon rims in dry conditions as they were with my ALU hoops. Have yet to ride them in wet conditions, but I doubt that braking will be as solid. I'm using Kool-Stop Carbons (the reynolds pads that came with the wheels won't work because they are for Shimano brakes, and 0G takes campy)
Old 05-19-08, 01:41 PM
BackRoadsBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did Reynolds give you a list of what prices would be? I might be interested if prices came down a tad more.
Old 05-19-08, 01:50 PM
go4gr8
Mountain goat

Bikes: BMC Team Machine SLR01, (RIP) BMC Team Machine SLT01, CDale SuperV400, Cramerotti Genius Nivacrom, C'Dale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The brake pads come with the wheels?
Old 05-19-08, 02:25 PM
euro trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vic32amg
right now if I do more than 8 I can assure us $999.99 with OEM packaging , brake pads, Skewers, tools and warranty card.
will Reynolds let us file a warranty claim direct or would we have to go thru a dealer? my LBS would be dissappointed if I tried to file with them and buying them elsewhere...
Old 05-19-08, 03:03 PM
vic32amg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no . direct. But one must assume that it would be easier to go to LBS and have them look the wheel over to determine if it is a warranty issue. unless you buy from reynolds " Reynolds Assurance Program (RAP) is the most aggressive program of its kind, giving you, the customer, absolute protection in case of accident. Customers who purchase a 2008 Reynolds wheelset from an authorized dealer can purchase a three-year damage protection plan for any wheelset being used in its intended fashion. This program allows you to drive a little harder into that corner or descend a little faster on single track with the confidence of knowing your wheels are covered by the best protection plan available.
Old 05-19-08, 05:30 PM
cnynrpr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do any special care need to be taken when changing tubes? Aside from using non-metal tire levers? Are these extra reinforced in the tire contact area for those who are heavy handed during tube changes?

How durable are these over the bigger potholes and dried clumps of asphalt on the road? I sometimes get distracted by lovely ladies walking the streets of southern california and sometimes miss these obstacles and run over them, case in point last week I got a flat in my rear tire because of such obstacle.

Can these take high pressure (120-145 psi) tires? Do they need rim tape?
Old 05-19-08, 05:34 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by go4gr8
The brake pads come with the wheels?
They do indeed, along with valve extenders, QR's, and a spoke key. Pads come to match the freehub body you order (Shimano pads for shimano freehub, campy pads for campy freehub).
Old 05-19-08, 06:57 PM
BackRoadsBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am really interested in these things now. Can anyone testify on the long-term durability of them?
Old 05-19-08, 07:02 PM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested in the "Group Buy"
Old 05-19-08, 08:15 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cnynrpr
Do any special care need to be taken when changing tubes? Aside from using non-metal tire levers? Are these extra reinforced in the tire contact area for those who are heavy handed during tube changes?

How durable are these over the bigger potholes and dried clumps of asphalt on the road? I sometimes get distracted by lovely ladies walking the streets of southern california and sometimes miss these obstacles and run over them, case in point last week I got a flat in my rear tire because of such obstacle.

Can these take high pressure (120-145 psi) tires? Do they need rim tape?
- According to Reynold's site, any plastic levers will do (no metal levers). Don't know about extra reinforcement. I'd think it's safe to say they're designed to take the force of a lever/tire going on.
- I've read on BF and other sites that lots of folks are using these as everyday wheels and they're pretty tough. YMMV.
- 150psi max
- yes, rim tape (thin works best)
Old 05-19-08, 09:03 PM
vic32amg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
come with rim tape. ( not pictured )

Last edited by vic32amg; 05-19-08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 09:28 PM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For those who have them; feel free to share them with me!
Old 05-19-08, 09:34 PM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So are we putting together a group buy or what?
Old 05-19-08, 09:57 PM
deadly downtube
mountain troll

Bikes: the hummer brand mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will these make me faster?
Old 05-19-08, 10:13 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BackRoadsBiker
I am really interested in these things now. Can anyone testify on the long-term durability of them?
I bought a pair of Reynolds Cirro wheels (the 2006 or 2005 version of the MV32C) used off of craigslist last year and used it as my everyday wheel for the season. The wheels are solid; my 15 mile commute to work involved some seriously horrible roads and I never experienced any issues other than one popped spoke. I think that the braking on my wheels were a little bit grabby, but it sounds like the braking surface has been improved since my rims were made.
Old 05-20-08, 12:41 AM
vic32amg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prendrefeu
So are we putting together a group buy or what?
$999.99
This is the list of those that are interested. Not committed. i am still waiting for another set of wheels from reynolds so I will call them tomorrow and see if we can get the price any lower. I don't expect them to be overly excited to have a new product at a lower than suggested MSRP so I would like to keep the over all volume low unless told otherwise by Reynolds. I will check for Campy and Shimano availability and shipping times. My Attacks took 4 business days. Shipping these days are a little bit different due to fuel cost going up but $30-35 dollars should cover it across the board. Also pick up at the shop will be an option. Once committed a security deposit will be needed and the remainder paid once the wheels are received. more details to come. Please if you are no longer interested let me know so I have a better idea of quantity. If you are interested in a different set of wheels please specify via PM and we can see if we can accommodate it. Thanks Vic

1.RHOsbrink- Campy
2.FunkyTang - Shimano
3.grahny - Campy
4.prendrefeu - campy / shimano?
5.s4one -
6.veggiemafia
7.Looneytuna
8.El Diablo Rojo
9.briscoelab
Old 05-23-08, 04:46 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ So what's the final word Vic?
Old 05-23-08, 05:25 PM
vic32amg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grahny
^ So what's the final word Vic?
I am working on this. But here is the problem and perhaps this is something we should all start getting ready for in every part of our lives.

This morning I recieved a memo in regards to a Pricing change in the cost of the wheels.

All reynolds wheels will be going up in price due to the increase in cost on the manufacturing end. The cost of materials, transportation of materials etc are now being increase significantly enough to where the manufacturer now had to increase the price of the products. This news is as of today from Reynolds however I am working on getting better pricing based on buying as a better tier. When I had originally started selling these wheels at a great price I was paying a much different amount than I will be now. this will be effective immediately so it would effect our order.

I don't mind doing a group buy but at some point the cost out weighs the benefit. I would be doing this group buy for almost nothing at the fore mentioned price unless i get something worked out. i'll keep you guys posted. This information is very new and i imagine will trickle out to most retailers. the price change was more significant on some wheels than others.

ill keep you guys updated.
Old 05-23-08, 07:55 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the update... I just saw they went up $125 at competitive cyclist. Keep us posted and thanks for trying to work something out.
Old 05-23-08, 10:07 PM
darkfinger
That's disgusting!

Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR, Frankenbike Mtn. bike that I built to my own spec., 1987 Peugot PB 16 fixed gear conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love those wheels!
If only I had the funds for new toys right now...ah well, maybe next time.
Enjoy the wheels though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.