Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Paint decay

Old 02-21-22, 11:09 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
Paint decay

During the first ever quarantine (mar-2020) a started a project and then i left in the dust since the parts missing were a lots.
The bike has been repainted with spray cans (metal primer , color and trasparent).
i remember that the paint was stiin in good shape even after some months.

Now after years i took a look into that old frame and surpicing i saw the paint in this conditions.
what cause paint to became like that?

(no water or even the sun has been touched directly the frame during the time it was in stand-by).
Old 02-21-22, 02:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Oh, d' Italia... That must be the problem.

My old Colnago Super did the same thing. It likely had a factory repaint years before I got it. And, the paint was probably pretty good for 30 years or so, then it just went bad... very bad.

I think the paint crazing must have happened during my time in Missouri, with two factors. The possibility of road salt exposure, and some extreme heat (or heat/cold cycles).

A few things you might look at. Incompatible paints for various layers. Was there any painting over paint?

Bad surface prep. Clean, dry rust free bare metal.

Too thick of paint layers.

I thought the instructions was to always wait until 90% dry, then recoat. But, if too thick, apparently it is recommended to let it completely dry, then scuff before the next coat.
Old 02-21-22, 03:12 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Incompatible paints for various layers. Was there any painting over paint?

Bad surface prep. Clean, dry rust free bare metal.

Too thick of paint layers.

I thought the instructions was to always wait until 90% dry, then recoat. But, if too thick, apparently it is recommended to let it completely dry, then scuff before the next coat.
Hello! The paint has been completely removed and the frame was prepared almost with perfection (no rust , no contaminants). Primer , the paint and the clear coat were the same brand (so i exclude the possibility of incompatible paint either)
Once i experienced the same problem when a frame a frame was contaminated , but that effect appears after a couple of hours after the praint. That's is so strange because we are talking about years and not hours.
Old 02-22-22, 08:08 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
One of my other hobbies is playing guitar. Many (most) guitars that have a nitrocellulose finish, or nitrocellulose in the paint, have a similar look as your paint, as they age. Any nitrocellulose in the paint you used?
Old 02-22-22, 08:23 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
The bike has been repainted with spray cans (metal primer , color and trasparent).
This is the problem with all spray cans.

Spray cans have always been quick cosmetic fixes and don't provide long term results, more evident with DIY on their cars.

One of the reasons is the spray can dispersant chemical that is mixed with the paint, and this makes the paint very thin.

If you love a bike enough to give it a repaint, send it out for sandblasting and shop paint. Lots of vids like this on Yt.
Old 02-22-22, 08:46 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by soyabean
This is the problem with all spray cans.

Spray cans have always been quick cosmetic fixes and don't provide long term results, more evident with DIY on their cars.

One of the reasons is the spray can dispersant chemical that is mixed with the paint, and this makes the paint very thin.

If you love a bike enough to give it a repaint, send it out for sandblasting and shop paint. Lots of vids like this on Yt.
i used spray cans on lots of little project but this is the first time the paint decaded like this....
ps. I already have a sandblaster and two paint guns but for that bike seems to be time wasted
Old 02-22-22, 08:47 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by freeranger
One of my other hobbies is playing guitar. Many (most) guitars that have a nitrocellulose finish, or nitrocellulose in the paint, have a similar look as your paint, as they age. Any nitrocellulose in the paint you used?
Negative , paint was acrylic
Old 02-22-22, 09:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Acrylic, Urethane or whatever, doesn't mean anything as there are so many formulations of them. Some good, some not so good.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-22-22, 10:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
It is very easy to get crackling on the second coat, or subsequent coatings from thereon if you do not wait for your paint to dry. If you wait too short of a time, what you’ll end up with is wet paint on top of wet paint. This means the paint below the surface is not subject to the same cooling qualities as the paint above, i.e. the external air, which means it won’t dry properly. However, the paint on top is drying perfectly fine, and will do shortly. Overtime, the wet paint beneath the surface will move as it sets, and will crackle the surface.
https://www.hellopractical.com/why-d...paint-crackle/

...I don't know what you were using, but it's not uncommon to run into something like this when mixing lacquer paints with enamel paints (even if they are made by the same company.) In your case, I would suspect that the color coat was an enamel, and the clear was a lacquer. But if you read the link, you'll see there are a great many ways that a paint job can crackle all over like that. Sometimes, it's done intentionally.
Old 02-22-22, 10:21 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Negative , paint was acrylic
...acrylic paints come in all sorts of formulations. Spray acrylic paints are a relatively recent innovation.
Old 02-22-22, 10:38 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
https://www.hellopractical.com/why-d...paint-crackle/

...I don't know what you were using, but it's not uncommon to run into something like this when mixing lacquer paints with enamel paints (even if they are made by the same company.) In your case, I would suspect that the color coat was an enamel, and the clear was a lacquer. But if you read the link, you'll see there are a great many ways that a paint job can crackle all over like that. Sometimes, it's done intentionally.
interesting , tnx
Old 02-22-22, 04:56 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
OP,
A number of things come to mind when looking at the paint on you frame.
Either the paints that you were using were not compatible with one another, even if they were from the same manufacturer. etc.
Another reason may have to do with the surface preparation itself any contaminants can cause this to happen BUT I suspect that the cotes before the clear was applied may have caused the crazing causing the topcoat to crack and craze that along with storage temps. etc.
I have used rattle cans in the past and they all do not have these issues...certainly not as strong as a baked on factory finish, but if a catalyst top coat is used they can and do provide good results....Been there done that.
Personally I like the "patina", it gives it a bit of character.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 02-22-22 at 05:07 PM.