Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Choice of rims for randonneuring bike...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Which rim
Campag proton
0%
Campag zonda
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 09:10 PM
4rensho@gmail.c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am building up a randonneuring bike and currently in the process of building the wheels but have run into a fork in the road concerning rim depth and suppleness. The wheels I am building feature an SP SV-9 dynamo hub in the front and a Dura-Ace 9000 hub in the rear at 20 and 24 holes respectfully. I have the choice of two different rims that are currently built up to different hubs that I dont use. 1 is campagnolo proton wheelset with a box section rim with eyelets and 2 is campagnolo zonda rims with a semi shallow aero profile and no eyelets. My question is which would be better for my build? This will be a bike that I will be using for 300+km brevets and Both seem equally alluring. On the one hand the proton rim would be more playable and forgiving after a long ride and the eyelets are a plus as far as strength go, but they are not at all aerodynamic. The zonda rims are aerodynamic but I worry after 10+hrs in the saddle the ride will be haring and I will regret using a deep section rim. As well durability plays a part. Are eyeleted rims all that stronger or is it a placebo effect? Would the aero gains be with the uncomfort? Two weeks ago I completed a 300km brevet on sun m13 36h rims in 11hrs 9min and have a goal of sub 30hrs for the 600k. Which do I go for? The aerodynamic or the box section "reliable"? Please help.

Last edited by 4rensho@gmail.c; 03-22-22 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Spelling, syntax
Old 03-23-22, 05:43 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Is anything really aero at Rando speeds?
Old 03-23-22, 06:17 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Is anything really aero at Rando speeds?
At 11 mph, half your power is to overcome the wind.

OP wants to do a sub 30 hour 600K, that means he needs to ride the flats at over 20 mph. Aero is critical at that speed.

So, yes, he needs to consider aerodynamics carefully. I've done 600k in under 23 hours and 400k in under 14 hours and aerodynamics played a role in both.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-23-22, 06:58 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Can "compliant" rims really make a difference, compared to supple tires at the correct pressures? What fraction of a mm would the rim move on a bump?

I don't do these long rides. Do you choose stiffer puncture resistant tires or flexible supple ones? Speed vs flat fixing?
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 03-23-22, 07:11 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Rim choice is largely irrelevant for comfort, it is tire construction, size, and pressure

A wider rim plumps up the tire and that helps but wheels are pretty much noncompliant radially.

Personally, I would never use anything but carbon rims anymore. They are much stronger than alum and especially with 16, 18 or 20H fronts.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-24-22, 02:20 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I would pick a 45-50mm deep carbon rim with no nipple holes for ease and reliability with a tubeless setup, with a relatively supple road race tire with some puncture protection (eg GP5000S or similar) and lower the tire pressure until it isn't jarring to ride.

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 03-24-22 at 04:15 AM.
Likes For Branko D: