Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I said that I would never … (Peugeot content)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-06-22, 11:51 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts

I said that I would never get anther bike with cottered cranks,
I said that I would never get another bike with 27” wheels,
Never say never, I just bought this Peugeot this morning.

And it basically fits me so I will probably be keeping it for awhile.

There is a 72 stamped onto the front rim, and also on the rear derailleur, so I’m 95% sure this s a 1972 model year.

It has Record du Monde, and looking at the bikeboompeugeot site I think this is a U08 model (maybe?)

What tires does anyone recommend for this bike?

I will also be shopping for brake pads to help slow down the steel rims.

pics to follow…

Last edited by treebound; 05-06-22 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 11:53 AM
treebound 

First batch of pics ( my phone browser doesn’t always play well with image uploads)

Old 05-06-22, 11:55 AM
treebound 

Second batch of pics

Likes For treebound:
Old 05-06-22, 11:58 AM
treebound 

It also came with a frame pump. The internal rubber is disintegrated so it is just for looks until I can find a replacement rubber stopper pressure thing.

Likes For treebound:
Old 05-06-22, 12:11 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Yep, looks like a U-08 to me which is a fine thing. Straight up though, ditch those steel wheels. Find some used alloy 27" or even hit up Velomine for some cheap, new ones. Even with brand new Kool Stop pads and aggressive brake tuning the steel rims will still be marginal in the dry and worthless wet. To me that's the one weakness with these. That said keep an eye on the plastic parts on the derailluers, they have cracked for a lot of folks. Mine were still good on my 1972 and never gave me a problem. Sold the bike about two years ago finally but it gave me many an enjoyable day in the saddle.

Enjoy the bike.

As you can see here, an alloy rim upgrade is not going to hurt the classic look of one of these but it may keep the hurt from you.

Old 05-06-22, 12:15 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Wow - that is so original it hurts! Your dating seems pretty accurate and I think you will enjoy cleaning that up and riding it.... I like the Panaracer Paselas myself but have also used the Continentals.
Old 05-06-22, 12:16 PM
treebound 

I either sold or donated the last of my 27” alloy wheels a year or three ago.
But, yep, I will be cautiously using these while I watch for alloy wheels.
Old 05-06-22, 12:43 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
That's in great shape -- nice find!
Old 05-06-22, 01:31 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
I either sold or donated the last of my 27” alloy wheels a year or three ago.
But, yep, I will be cautiously using these while I watch for alloy wheels.
I guess you really did swear off 27” bikes if you donated your old 27” wheels. Problem is that a lot of nice mid grade bikes pop up with 27s at give away prices. As long as Paselas are still around, life is good. That saddle is awesome too.
Old 05-06-22, 02:28 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Looks to be in good shape.

I second what everyone else says about swapping out the steel rims.

Also it looks like you have an AVA stem on this bike. Those are prone to failure and should be replaced.
Old 05-06-22, 02:49 PM
treebound 

Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
Looks to be in good shape.

I second what everyone else says about swapping out the steel rims.

Also it looks like you have an AVA stem on this bike. Those are prone to failure and should be replaced.
I will measure that and see what I still have for quill stems. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 05-06-22, 03:35 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
I will measure that and see what I still have for quill stems. Thanks for the heads-up.
From my understanding/internets 'research' (to decide whether to ditch the stem on my PX-10) the main failure point was at the top of the cut in the vertical tube for the expansion slug. The end of the cut was often hard squared-off, which became a stress riser point. If the cut was rounded (or was made to be so) the risk of failure is greatly diminished. At least that's the info I came up with, and as the end of the cut in mine is rounded I decided to keep it (but will check regularly for signs of cracking....).
Old 05-06-22, 04:03 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
The brakes have room to adjust to a smaller wheel, right? If you're replacing wheelsets and you don't like 27" rims, why not just swap to 700c?

Likes For Clang:
Old 05-06-22, 04:20 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
The brakes have room to adjust to a smaller wheel, right? If you're replacing wheelsets and you don't like 27" rims, why not just swap to 700c?
And going from 27" to 700c will give you a wee bit more clearance for wider tires (should you want them...).
Old 05-06-22, 04:59 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Great find!

For the cranks, simply oil-can the bb bearings as needed, no need to mess with the cotters unless you'll be putting many, many thousands of miles on this bike.
Bearings can be adjusted with left crankarm in place!
I would also simply oil-can the headset bearings myself for all but lengthy, hard use.
Aerosol lithium grease using a tapered applicator straw will put lasting lubrication into the existing bearing assemblies. Sounds rough-turning until the solvents evaporate.

Removal of cotters, using even a proper press, is best facilitated with a torch, getting the crankarm end hot enough to issue a bit of smoke when the torch is pulled away.

Must save the original cotters!!!

This bike's original front derailer shows no cracking! Resist the urge to tighten further the clamping bolts or cracking is likely in the succeeding months after said tightening.

Good luck fixing that pump. Please follow up here with any success that you have!

I'm in full agreement with markk900 with regard to tires!

The original brake pads may work well, mine still do!

Treat the saddle and wait a day or two for the oils to permeate fully before riding on it.
The black coating will appear on any non-black shorts to some degree.

Oiling up the shift lever's internals and getting the inner cables to run only against polymer-lined surfaces will drastically improve shifting ease and accuracy, and the levers will no longer feel flexible.
The correct choice of cable housing (including needed ferrules) can be a challenge on vintage bikes, but is effort well spent imo.

The stem should be inspected, but should be fine for less than aggressive riding based on my experience.
The quill and clamping diameters are French!
If a longer 10cm stem is desired, an Origin8 or similar Kalloy stem will at least have a compatible quill diameter already, but will be compatible with alloy bars having 25.4 or 26.0 diameters (depending on the particular stem's labeling).
A compatible wider bar would be nice, as will the increased grip diameter of an alloy bar (24mm vs. 22mm).

You'll need to tap the crankarms out to 9/16" in order to use modern pedals.

Old 05-06-22, 05:36 PM
treebound 

I found a set of 27” wheels that were still stashed in the garage rafters, complete with corded liners (which I will replace). I just hope I can get the freewheel off, or maybe just run it for awhile.

Ben’s in Milwaukee still had some spare new cotters in a couple of sizes/bevels/lengths in case I need to replace one or both of them.

I wondering if the pedals are already “normal” threading since the bike appears to be a 1972 model. I thought I read about pedal threading changing from the 1960’s to the 1970’s.' But the existing pedals feel and spin good so I’m in no hurry to find out right now.

Ps, I just looked closer and the corded wheels are not hook beaded, but surprise surprise I found another pair of wheels up there that are hook beaded. These other wheels have a 6-speed freewheel so maybe I can just swap it or run the friction shifters as a 6-speed initially.

Last edited by treebound; 05-06-22 at 05:40 PM.
Likes For treebound:
Old 05-06-22, 05:46 PM
markk900

I am in agreement with dddd on *almost* everything: couple of tips: I have had incredible luck (or maybe its just not a big problem) with SR quill stems fitting quite well into the standard Peugeot steerer tubes of this era - TBH as a young pup I didn't even know there were differences and my own AO-8 has had at least a half dozen different stems over the years and none of them were a problem; second point is that the seat post is easily replaced (again I have had good luck with several SR Laprade posts) *if* you take out the spacer from the frame. Can't tell from the photos but if your current seat post is not stepped where the seat clamp goes on be aware that even a tiny bit of looseness can result in the seat slowly sliding down the post and the end of the post eventually carving its way through the leather of the saddle (DAMHIK) and even potentially poking you where you probably don't want to be poked. Finally, I have not found the pedals on any of the cranks I have seen from this era of Peugeot to be anything other than 9/16 standard thread, again might be just anecdotal. You won't know until you try!

edit: just saw your update: I have used 6 speed on mine for decades.....

Last edited by markk900; 05-06-22 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 07:53 PM
treebound 

Thanks for the heads-up on the non-stepped seatpost.

I slipped a 700c front wheel and tire on the forks and it looks like it would work just fine.

I tried a 700c rear wheel and the axle has too large of a diameter to slide into the dropout slots.
I then tried the 27” wheels I have and those also have too large of an axle diameter.

So, what to do, grind the dropout slots open a little, or grind some flats into the axle ends (wouldn’t take much), or run steel on back and an alloy on front? ? ? I will have to get out the digital calipers this weekend and do some measuring.

Old 05-06-22, 08:09 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Nice looking original survivor. Enjoy it!

Old 05-06-22, 11:41 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
If you're going to file open the dropout slots for a 10mm axle, be sure to only remove metal from the lower edge of the slot, elsewise you may be messing with the alignment that positions the axle horizontally across the rear fork.
Check first that a known-dimensionally-accurate wheel sits vertically, as you might want to correct any tilt before doing all of your filing on the lower edges of the dropouts.
Axles on used wheels might be bent, so be sure that's not the case with your test-fitting wheel (that you use to verify alignment before filing).
Old 05-07-22, 12:19 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Second batch of pics

...I can't tell for sure from your picture here, but if you look closely at the front derailleur clamp where the bolt for the front clamp goes into the plastic body, I think I see the crack at the usual spot where these fail. It's not a big deal to replace it with something like a Suntour front mechanism, that has a stop for a cable housing built into it. They work well as replacements.
Old 05-07-22, 05:59 AM
markk900

Had a look at my frame and the dropouts measure just a hair over 10mm wide. So check your measurements on both the frame and the axles.
Old 05-07-22, 06:16 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
First batch of pics ( my phone browser doesn’t always play well with image uploads)

​​​​​​https://newspaperarchive.com/kenosha...-11-1982-p-39/

​​​​​​https://markcz.com/one-sweet-dream-kenosha/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-07-22, 07:02 AM
treebound 

Thanks for the bike shop article, neat.

The dropout slots measure about 9.4-9.9mm, so I will carefully remove just a touch from the lower face of the slots.

Front derailleur no cracks that I could see.

Old 05-07-22, 07:05 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Ah Schlitz, "The beer that made Milwaukee famous"

"When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.