Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More saddle time to get faster - myth

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 10:59 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every time I read a thread about people who want to get faster a lot of the responses seem to be "You need more saddle time...more miles"...I've asked the question myself and most of the answers were "More saddle time"

This makes no sense to me...how can you get faster if you're just out to ride longer...you're not focused on intervals or speed work...you're focused on a longer distance...

Shouldn't your goal be more quality than quantity....The BF members that race are an exception and validate my point since they mainly always talk about how many hours they ride and not how many miles.

I want to know what the rest of BF members think?
Old 06-21-07, 11:03 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Depends where you're starting from. If you're out of shape, I think you need to develop a basic fitness and endurance level before you should focus on speed work. If you're already in shape, then yes, intervals and such will be more efficient and improving your speed.
Old 06-21-07, 11:07 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Depends where you're starting from. If you're out of shape, I think you need to develop a basic fitness and endurance level before you should focus on speed work. If you're already in shape, then yes, intervals and such will be more efficient and improving your speed.
Maybe this is what I don't understand (and this is relative). What is in shape and what is out of shape? I think everyone else considers in shape and out of shape differently.
Old 06-21-07, 11:11 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Intervals.
Old 06-21-07, 11:14 AM
phoenity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by group105
Maybe this is what I don't understand (and this is relative). What is in shape and what is out of shape? I think everyone else considers in shape and out of shape differently.
Probably the distance you can ride. Does 40 miles at a moderate pace wear you out?

As I understand it, you want good base mileage on the bike with good form and getting the fit straightened out before you start working on speed.
Old 06-21-07, 11:15 AM
Gromit

Bikes: Blue Competition Cycles RC4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time in the saddle is a very important part to your training (but not the only part). To use a term from running, I'll call this "long slow distance (LSD)"

LSD is beneficial for multiple reasons:

It takes your your muscles, ligaments and tendonspast their normal exercise duration, and force them to build and strengthen. You add new muscle fibers and mitochondria - the energy powerhouses of the muscles. Additionally, you burn more fat.

Here's an article using the training techniques of running legend Arthur Lydiard and applying them to cycling to increase wattage:

https://www.training4cyclists.com/lon...ance-training/
Old 06-21-07, 11:17 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MONGO!
Intervals.
Correct, but you must (in my opinion) first have a good base. Which means, saddle time!
Old 06-21-07, 11:19 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoenity
Probably the distance you can ride. Does 40 miles at a moderate pace wear you out?

As I understand it, you want good base mileage on the bike with good form and getting the fit straightened out before you start working on speed.

I think it would be helpful to make a chart where it's all broken down based on the riders ability.

Use 10-20-50 miles (to cover all the ranges of beginner riders).

Then say: If you can ride 20 mph @ 15mph avg then you need to do intervals of XXX duration with XXX breaks.

If you can ride 20 miles @ 16.5 you need to do XXX intervals of XXX duration.

(all assuming relatively flat roads).
Old 06-21-07, 11:20 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How bout this:

If you want to get faster, get a coach. Or a training plan.
Old 06-21-07, 11:22 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Correct, but you must (in my opinion) first have a good base. Which means, saddle time!
What is a good base? I just started riding 7 weeks ago and I've done 440 total miles.
Old 06-21-07, 11:23 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again...what is a good base? I just started riding 7 weeks ago and I've done 440 total miles.
During the winter, my base was about 2.5 times what you've done.
Old 06-21-07, 11:23 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Again...what is a good base? I just started riding 7 weeks ago and I've done 440 total miles.
To me a good base is about 1,500 - 2,000 miles. I did my base January - March. I had about 1,900 miles in. What your body requires and what others require is not necessarily the same though.
Old 06-21-07, 11:24 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me a good base is about 1,500 - 2,000 miles. I did my base January - March.
So everyone's base is different.

I'm looking for ways of determining what my base should be.
Old 06-21-07, 11:26 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shouldn't your goal be more quality than quantity....The BF members that race are an exception and validate my point since they mainly always talk about how many hours they ride and not how many miles.
Yes, the goal should be more quality than quantity, but for some, quantity (distance) may equate with quality, depending upon goals (i.e. pure endurance events...though I think there has been some recent research that shows short-but-intense training has a benefit for endurance).

In general I agree that time in the saddle is a better measure of training than distance, but even that doesn't tell the story. It needs to be combined with intensity to judge the "quality". There is the old standby, Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE), but that's extremely fallible. While not perfect, time-in-HR-zones is a pretty good indicator. Even better would be time-in-Power-zones, though that may be out of reach for many. There is also software like Cyclingpeaks that can analyze stuff in additional and interesting ways...way off the deep end for most recreational cyclists, but some people are number junkies
Old 06-21-07, 11:27 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Most beginners will find that their speed will increase fairly quickly by just riding more (a couple of hours every other day or so). When your speed starts to plateau, then you should start doing more high intensity work like intervals. This will probably be somewhere around 15mph (average over 1 hour).
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

So everyone's base is different.

I'm looking for ways of determining what my base should be.
If you just started riding 7 weeks ago then this whole year is going to be base. Just ride for a while and enjoy it. Training should come later. At this point you are going to get stronger and faster no matter what you do. Don't risk burn out so early.
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are in good shape, but not bike shape (this was me a few months ago, and to some extent still is) - like a runner or swimmer it simply takes time for you to build your muscles up. Internvals and pure saddle time do that I think. The more I ride the faster I get.

Now, if you are a seasoned rider and put in a decent amount of miles, I am not sure 'more miles' will always result in being faster.

I can relate it to running, which may or may not apply. Very fast mid distance runners (1k-10k) run distances far longer than the event calls for. this is how they build a base. they do sprints and other workouts as well of course, but they get their miles in. To the other end marathoners often do not run more than about 20 or 22 miles at a time, even know their event is 26.2.
Old 06-21-07, 11:28 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
What is a good base? I just started riding 7 weeks ago and I've done 440 total miles.
I don't race and I do more than that just moving from point a to point b. And yes, I am becoming faster all the time. Last night was a good example - I ended too far away without a light and had to hammer it all the way home. No chance for a rest. I went a lot faster than normal. The endurance was there and the conditioning - all I needed was the proper motivation (like being in the pitch dark in the jungle...)
Old 06-21-07, 11:28 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indygreg
If you are in good shape, but not bike shape (this was me a few months ago, and to some extent still is) - like a runner or swimmer it simply takes time for you to build your muscles up. Internvals and pure saddle time do that I think. The more I ride the faster I get.

Now, if you are a seasoned rider and put in a decent amount of miles, I am not sure 'more miles' will always result in being faster.

I can relate it to running, which may or may not apply. Very fast mid distance runners (1k-10k) run distances far longer than the event calls for. this is how they build a base. they do sprints and other workouts as well of course, but they get their miles in. To the other end marathoners often do not run more than about 20 or 22 miles at a time, even know their event is 26.2.

Can you give me some numbers (avg mph per XX mile ride) so I can figure out where I am?
Old 06-21-07, 11:32 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Thanks. I want to get some specific real numbers to really figure out where I am.

Can anyone point me into the right direction where I can figure out this based on avg speed and length of ride?
Nobody is going to be able to give you "real" numbers. Everyone's rides are different. Different terrain, different wind, etc, etc. Best thing to do is find a loop. Once every couple of weeks do that loop and time it. Then you will see how you are improving.

Also, pick up "The Cyclists Training Bible" by Joe Friel. It will tell you everything you need to know (debatable of course).
Old 06-21-07, 11:32 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody needs more T.I.T.S. and A.S.S.
Time In The Saddle and Anerobic Short Sprints

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 06-21-07, 11:33 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody is going to be able to give you "real" numbers. Everyone's rides are different. Different terrain, different wind, etc, etc. Best thing to do is find a loop. Once every couple of weeks do that loop and time it. Then you will see how you are improving.

Also, pick up "The Cyclists Training Bible" by Joe Friel. It will tell you everything you need to know (debatable of course).

The loop idea is great. I record all my runs and I ride this 18 mile loop which I'm using for measuring the progress.
Old 06-21-07, 11:35 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^ you are not going to find any (meaningful) specific real numbers.

Back up for a second and think about your goals (I am going on the assumption that you want to do something, go somewhere, etc., which is driving why you are asking "where you are"). What do you want to achieve with your training? Identify that kind of stuff, and figure out a repeatable test of where you are on that goal. Do an initial test now, to see where you are relative to the goal, train, then come back in a couple of weeks, a month, a year, whatever, and see how you've moved.

Edit: keeping some kind of diary or training log will help. You can do this with a simple spreadsheet; there are also websites like bikejournal.com, and numerous other systems. It doesn't need to be too complicated, especially just starting out.
Old 06-21-07, 11:35 AM
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am too new to cycling to really answer your question, but I can offer this. Per one HR training book (John Parker, Jr) that I like, when you are running or riding a 'base building' type day (staying under 70% MHR using his formula) there is no real benefit to anything over 2 hours except pure calories burnt. He explains it with some science, i will not try to touch it.
Old 06-21-07, 11:39 AM
group105
Master of the Obvious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
^^ you are not going to find any (meaningful) specific real numbers.

Back up for a second and think about your goals (I am going on the assumption that you want to do something, go somewhere, etc., which is driving why you are asking "where you are"). What do you want to achieve with your training? Identify that kind of stuff, and figure out a repeatable test of where you are on that goal. Do an initial test now, to see where you are relative to the goal, train, then come back in a couple of weeks, a month, a year, whatever, and see how you've moved.

Edit: keeping some kind of diary or training log will help. You can do this with a simple spreadsheet; there are also websites like bikejournal.com, and numerous other systems. It doesn't need to be too complicated, especially just starting out.
My goal is to be able to keep up with my local group ride (and they say they always want to attract new members...probably to torture them ). I've done the 52 mile GR last week in 3 hrs and 16 minutes with a 15.8mph avg (this was my 2nd 50 mile + ride)...just tired of being dropped (some of the group members forget it's a GR and not the Tuesday Thursday night *fast* rides they also have here).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.