Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Cycling Awareness Growing in Orange County

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 12:36 PM
idoru2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...iver-stop.html

When reading the article, make sure to view the photos they've posted.

As many of you know, the greatest danger to us as cyclists are the drivers who don't seem to understand the white line that denotes the Bike Lane.

What needs to be done to make drivers aware that this line is NOT to be crossed? It seems to me that the if a driver crosses that line, that driver probably does it ALL THE TIME. I think that most drivers are good and attentive. But I also feel that some drivers just don't have a clue and these are the ones that habitually cross into the bike lane. I wish Law Enforcement would step up and enforce the law concerning motorists crossing into the bike lane.

In the past I've felt that replacing the white line with a raised curb is a good idea, but I also recognize it wouldn't work in many cases. I feel that it would create a marginally safer environment for cyclists, but on the other hand, the curb might be seen as safely hazard towards cyclists who might also hit them. And it would impede group rides. Seems to me that a trade-off needs to be made for our safety.

What would you trade away to have a safer road for you to ride on?
Old 12-15-09, 02:11 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad thing about bike lanes is they are also the shoulder in a lot (most?) areas.

I don't like the curb idea, if a vehicle is in the lane with a mechanical problem, then we'd have to be able to get over the curb to get around the disabled vehicle.

I don't think there is a way to make it safer on the streets than it already is or isn't. The best way is to make it harder to get a drivers license, starting by only giving the test in english (all the signs are in english, so you should be able to read english to have a license) and then raise the passing grade and focus more on laws of the road as apposed to DMV forms (my last (only) written test was 50%+ DMV form questions).

But then, that makes to much sense doesn't it?
Old 12-15-09, 03:56 PM
LCI_Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the OP said about motorists crossing bike lane stripes makes sense between intersections, such as long stretches like Santiago Canyon Road. But at intersections, I WANT motorists to cross the line if they're making a right turn. I'd like to see them check for cyclists, merge into the bike lane as required per law, then make the right turn. (That's why the bike lane stripe changes from solid to dashed before intersections.) That's better than having them stay in the travel lane up to the intersection, and then doing a hook turn across the cyclist's path. The raised curb concept isn't the best idea for that reason. Also, it would be an obstacle for cyclists, and it would collect debris pretty quickly.
Old 12-15-09, 05:00 PM
Eticket

Bikes: Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman40
The best way is to make it harder to get a drivers license, starting by only giving the test in english (all the signs are in english, so you should be able to read english to have a license) and then raise the passing grade and focus more on laws of the road as apposed to DMV forms (my last (only) written test was 50%+ DMV form questions).

I'll second that motion - The stop sign says "STOP" not "ALTO"
Old 12-15-09, 06:19 PM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eticket
I'll second that motion - The stop sign says "STOP" not "ALTO"
What does alto mean?

spanish to english - upper, high

french to english - viola

italian to english - welcome (i think....)
Old 12-15-09, 08:09 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

. The best way is to make it harder to get a drivers license, starting by only giving the test in english (all the signs are in english, so you should be able to read english to have a license) and then raise the passing grade and focus more on laws of the road as apposed to DMV forms (my last (only) written test was 50%+ DMV form questions).

Not really, cause then all you guys would get lost on the freeeways cause the signs are in Spanish," Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco"!
Old 12-15-09, 09:06 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
There is a bike lane along one winding road I frequently take to work. Over the years, I've watched many cars take one certain blind curve on this road while drifting into the bike lane. Often you can see a motorist completely occupy the bike lane while going around the curve, to the point where the passenger side of the car may be within two feet of the curb. Considering the speed at which people usually drive this road, this is an "accident" waiting to happen... someone is going to come around the corner, and hit a jogger or a cyclist, or a car, if a person was stopped on the other side.

Mabye something could be cemented to the road to dissuade motorists, but unless the city is motivated-- convinced that an expensive negligence suit could be looming, or worse, someone gets killed/injured there-- they won't do anything, and I'm not sure there is a good remedy anyway.

Many (most?) people feel they are an above-average driver, even though that can't be true for the majority (regardless of how you define average).

Last edited by ZippyThePinhead; 12-15-09 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 10:18 PM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Not really, cause then all you guys would get lost on the freeeways cause the signs are in Spanish," Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco"!
touché
Old 12-16-09, 07:30 AM
John R
so cal com

Bikes: Trek hybrid commuter, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Cad 6, Shwinn Homegrown MB, Specialized FSR MB Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me play Devils advocate here, What about Cyclist who ride outside the bike lane in huge groups?. Riders that block cars from passing for miles. Should they be cited? This thing can go both ways.
Old 12-16-09, 08:15 AM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ - sure, unless the bike lane is blocked then they shouldn't get one. There are a lot of things to consider, maybe base it on the speed of the road and the amount of traffic on that road?
Old 12-16-09, 08:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Pronunciation in Spanish is difficult for Gringos. The sign in Los Angeles: Los Feliz. How many times have we heard that Christmas song by Jose Feliciano "Feliz Navidad"?
Old 12-16-09, 09:14 AM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This part bugged me:

The dead
Sixty-nine cyclists have died in the past four years in Orange County, according to the coroner’s office.
2006: 24
20007: 18
2008: 13
2009: 14, to date. Here is a breakdown (Dates and times reflect time of death):
March 12, 4:25 p.m., male, 45, fall from bicycle.
March 23, 9:14 a.m., male, 69, bicyclist vs. auto.
April 19, 12:59 a.m., male, 57, bicyclist vs. auto.
April 25, 12:20 a.m., male, 62, bicyclist vs. pick-up truck.
April 30, 4:15 a.m., male, 55, bicyclist vs. auto.
May 5, 10:05 a.m., male, 61, bicyclist vs. pick-up truck.
July 8, 4 a.m., male, 32, bicyclist vs. autos.
July 23, 5:02 p.m. male, 43, bicyclist vs. auto.
Aug. 20, 6 p.m., male, 78, fall from moving bicycle onto pavement.
Oct. 21, 6:08 p.m., female, 80, bicyclist vs. pick-up truck.
Nov. 16, 10:37 a.m., male, 56, bicyclist vs. auto.
Nov. 16, 4:15 p.m., male, 23, bicyclist vs. SUV.
Dec. 3, 2:57 p.m., boy, 9, bicyclist vs. pick-up truck.
Dec. 10, 11:55 a.m., male, 49, bicyclist vs. auto.

I don't know what the statistics are for San Diego. Still, it gives me pause every time I ride. For a brief moment I wonder if today is the day? Then I shake my head and RIDE! The odds just seem pretty high that a major event could occur not favorable to the cyclist. Gives me the heebeejeebees just considering it........and yet, I'll ride today, just like yesterday, and probably tomorrow.......God willing.
Old 12-16-09, 12:13 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go David Whiting!
Old 12-16-09, 12:39 PM
Jaguar27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LCI_Brian
What the OP said about motorists crossing bike lane stripes makes sense between intersections, such as long stretches like Santiago Canyon Road. But at intersections, I WANT motorists to cross the line if they're making a right turn. I'd like to see them check for cyclists, merge into the bike lane as required per law, then make the right turn. (That's why the bike lane stripe changes from solid to dashed before intersections.) That's better than having them stay in the travel lane up to the intersection, and then doing a hook turn across the cyclist's path. The raised curb concept isn't the best idea for that reason. Also, it would be an obstacle for cyclists, and it would collect debris pretty quickly.
I agree, and if someone clipped that extra "Curb" they would probably fall into the Traffic lane....

I really don't know what the answer is, except that just because there is a white line doesn't mean you have to ride on or even close to it...
Old 12-16-09, 12:57 PM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LCI_Brian
My wife refuses to drive into the bike lane to make a right turn because she thinks it is illegal even though I say it isn't and it is safer for bikers as it just about commits you to making a turn...she does it when I am in the car now, but I don't think she does it all the time though.
Old 12-16-09, 01:01 PM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sojourn
Still, it gives me pause every time I ride. For a brief moment I wonder if today is the day? Then I shake my head and RIDE! The odds just seem pretty high that a major event could occur not favorable to the cyclist. Gives me the heebeejeebees just considering it........and yet, I'll ride today, just like yesterday, and probably tomorrow.......God willing.
I had that this morning, was just about ready to depart for the morning ride to the office....had a weird feeling that today was that day and decided to drive. On weekends, I'll change the route and get on the MUP as much as I dislike it.
Old 12-17-09, 09:31 AM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had that this morning, was just about ready to depart for the morning ride to the office....had a weird feeling that today was that day and decided to drive. On weekends, I'll change the route and get on the MUP as much as I dislike it.
I trust my instincts as well.