Pulling a Burly Trailer up GMR

Old 05-12-10, 07:41 AM
idoru2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulling a Burley Trailer and kid up GMR

So.... My wife just started a new job which is a total blessing.

Unfortunately, she works both Saturdays and Sundays which leaves me to take care of our toddler when I used to have time to ride. I haven't gone on a long rides or any real climbs for over 3 weeks and I'm really starting to get cabin fever. I've been taking my daughter out in the Burley and extending the length of rides I take her on. Now, i'm considering taking her out to GMR for some real climbing.

A question to any of the local GMR riders, have you ever seen anyone pull a Burley of GMR? I have a triple, so I think I have the gearing to do it. And the Burley has enough room that I can pretty much bring everything I need to keep my kid fed and happy (she's turning 2 this month). I might give it a try this Saturday. Am I crazy?

Last edited by idoru2005; 05-12-10 at 07:45 AM. Reason: changed Burly to Burley
Old 05-12-10, 08:07 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by idoru2005
Am I crazy?
Yes, Crazy but in a Good Way,

I've seen cyclists pulling trailers up GMR a couple of times but I have no idea if they were Burley or some other brand. Well, one was a B.O.B. but no idea on the other one.

GMR/GRR is a place of great variety. I've seen roller bladers, a bunch of lugers, soap-box derby racers, car clubs (Corvette, Mitsubishi Lancer, Miata, Lotus Elise, etc.) and of course motorcycles from Harley to Crotch Rocket and almost everything in between.

Plus the whole range of human powered cyclists from top line pro bikes to Townies (plus fixed gear and folders), so sure, whatever!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-12-10, 08:29 AM
DutchBoy2
Oldie but a Newbie

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount Series 9, Fuji D-6, KHS Flite Team, Medici Pro Strada, Trek Y-22, Santana Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
idoru2005,

If it were me, I'd be very reluctant to do a ride up GMR pulling a trailer on the weekend. That is when the roads are most crowded with the above mentioned motorcycles and car clubs. There are many turns with limited visibility, which could cause a fast moving vehicle to go right into your precious cargo. A mid week ride would be much safer, but that may not fit into your schedule.

If you went up GMR, the return trip could also be on the risky side. There are some wide streets with lighter traffic that would still allow you to do some climbing in Claremont, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga and other nearby communities.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rick
Old 05-12-10, 09:00 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
I agree with Dutchboy. I would be worried about the traffic on the way up, and I can't imagine the trip back down being any fun. I have a baby on the way, and I've already accepted the fact that my rides will be shorter, and quite often in the living room or on the bike path. I have to grow up some time.
Old 05-12-10, 09:07 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the traffic and descent are my main worries. There are some steepish climbs in my neighborhood that I've been doing, but they are all less that 1 mile long.

What about driving up to GRR and riding that part? Is there a safe place to park and leave my car up there while I ride? Is it even legal to do that?
Old 05-12-10, 09:44 AM
LCI_Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchBoy2
If it were me, I'd be very reluctant to do a ride up GMR pulling a trailer on the weekend. That is when the roads are most crowded with the above mentioned motorcycles and car clubs. There are many turns with limited visibility, which could cause a fast moving vehicle to go right into your precious cargo. A mid week ride would be much safer, but that may not fit into your schedule.
I guess I've never understood that logic. If the risk is at an acceptable level when riding alone, why does it become unacceptable when pulling a passenger in a trailer? (Note that I'm not talking about kids riding their own bikes, which would be a different story, as it would bring their handling skills into the equation.) Or let me phrase it the opposite way: if I considered it too dangerous to pull a kid in a trailer on a given route, then why the heck would I be riding it alone?

On a practical note, I didn't do many rides such as GMR with a trailer due to logistical reasons, one of them being how my time my kid could tolerate in the trailer. Many of our rides were indeed on bike paths, not for safety reasons but for things to see, no road noise, break stops, etc. Most of the road rides we did in the trailer were 15-20 mile loops from the house. I found on such rides that I got better treatment from motorists (such as MORE passing clearance) with the trailer than without.
Old 05-12-10, 10:01 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I never see any traffic issues when riding GMR since I usually start out pretty early and I'm off the mountain by noon (weekends). I've seen motorcyclists, street luge folks, and racer-boy types in their Suburu STI's. Everyone seems to be pretty respectful of other road users.

LCI_Brian, I see your point. If a road is too dangerous with my kid, then it's also too dangerous for me as well. I don't see GMR as being very dangerous.

Anyway, I've done hour-long rides with my kid in the trailer. And I think the mountain scenery, especially on GRR would be enough to keep her interested. GRR is so secluded, if needed, I could let her out to run around for a bit without having to worry too much.

As for parking on GMR/GRR, do I need an Forest Adventure Pass to park legally?
Old 05-12-10, 10:04 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Hope your brakes don't overheat on the way back down.....
Old 05-12-10, 10:15 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
Hope your brakes don't overheat on the way back down.....
Yeah, me too. That's why I'm considering driving up the major part of the climb and just riding at the top. This way I can avoid the long descent with the trailer.
Old 05-12-10, 10:25 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, a call to the Glendora Police Department cleared that up. It IS ok to park up there as long as there aren't any no-parking signs posted. And no Forest Adventure Pass is required either. Soooo... are there any No Parking signs up there? I never bother to look for them.
Old 05-12-10, 11:31 AM
obie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talk to hikers who park on the turnouts off GRR and you might want to empty your car of valuables before you park there or someone may do that part for you.
Old 05-12-10, 11:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are very few no parking signs up there, and I've seen plenty of parked cars while climbing it. Just make sure you're off the driving lane and double check for any signs and you're good.

As for the danger part, the difference is that I will probably survive a brush by or minor collision by myself, but it would be fatal with a child... because my wife would kill me! Seriously, though, the concern is descending for the most part. I'm starting to wonder how the handling is on those babies.
Old 05-12-10, 01:05 PM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that sucks having to worry about having someone break into the car. If I do this, I'll make sure there are no valuables in the car to begin with.

As for handling with the Burley, it feels rather stable. I pull it with my road bike. It takes a bit to get used to the handling, especially taking wide turns and making sure there's enough clearance on both sides. I started riding with my daughter at about 10 months (as soon as she could hold her head up with the helmet). We used a Bobike front seat to begin with.
Old 05-12-10, 01:34 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do drive up and park, don't park on East Fork - you do need a wilderness pass there.

I haven't been able to get up there recently until after noon - and I've noticed that traffic is really light on GMR during those times - even on weekends.

Have you ever ridden GMR by yourself? If not, you should do that before bringing a trailer up.
Old 05-12-10, 01:39 PM
Sea Green Sky

Bikes: PedalForce CG1 (the race/century bike), PedalForce RS (the trainer), Eighth Inch SS (the fixie), Flyte SRS-3 (the beater), Caloi Strada Pro (the commuter), Oddball Alu MTB (the tank), Trek 850 (the MTB SS)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree with DutchBoy2 and urbanknight, why on earth would you want to expose your kids to a known dangerous situation? There's NO WAY I'd take my kids up there on a bike.

I rode 39->E Fork->GMR last weekend and while most riders are reasonably careful there are always those squids that think it's fun to buzz you at 50mph three or four times (I'm looking at you guy in the black and white leathers).

Why not take the trailer down the SGRT instead? The upper section been recently repaved and is as smooth as a babies behind.
Old 05-12-10, 01:47 PM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your words of concern. At this point, I wouldn't consider GMR, but I see GRR as a much safer road than GRR.

BTW, yes I have ridden GMR on numerous occasions (alone). And I've never been buzzed, honked, or hassled.
Old 05-12-10, 08:38 PM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been a long time since I pulled my kids in a trailer--they're both in college now--but we all still have some great memories of those days. My two cents worth: Kids are only good for a limited amount of miles. After that, they just get bored and miserable, and then they make you miserable. You don't want to turn them against the idea of bicycles at an early age.

Also, as far as the risk goes, it's one thing to take the risk for yourself, it's totally another thing to expose your kids to that same risk. You're an adult, and you know what you're getting into. They're just trusting little creatures, and have no idea what you're getting them into. It's just not the same thing.

I have a better suggestion: Pack your bike, your trailer, and your little one and head on down to the L.A. Beach Bike Path. There aren't any hills down there, but there are a lot of headwinds, and your trailer will catch them all. There are lots of cool places to stop, not to mention the beach itself. Take a heavier bike, e.g. a MTB, and you'll work even harder.

One final suggestion: Get one of those trail-a-bikes when your daughter gets to be about four or five years old. They are just phenomenal, and the kids really love them. We had one with two seats that we towed behind our tandem, making it into a quad. It was really something!
Old 05-12-10, 09:32 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've seen a lady pulling kid and trailer up Claremont mtb bike trail, steeper than gmr!
Old 05-12-10, 10:25 PM
DutchBoy2
Oldie but a Newbie

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount Series 9, Fuji D-6, KHS Flite Team, Medici Pro Strada, Trek Y-22, Santana Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LCI_Brian
I guess I've never understood that logic. If the risk is at an acceptable level when riding alone, why does it become unacceptable when pulling a passenger in a trailer? (Note that I'm not talking about kids riding their own bikes, which would be a different story, as it would bring their handling skills into the equation.) Or let me phrase it the opposite way: if I considered it too dangerous to pull a kid in a trailer on a given route, then why the heck would I be riding it alone?
In my mind there are two completely different levels of risk between riding up GMR on a single bike and riding up pulling a trailer. I know for a fact that I can ride at a much faster pace, accelerate more quickly, maneuver more quickly and take up less room on the road when riding without pulling a trailer. Those differences allow me to quickly speed up to get out of areas with limited visibility when I hear approaching vehicles, move to the side of the road more quickly if I don't hear a vehicle until the last minute and get closer to the shoulder of the road when necessary.

Therefore, I'm willing to accept the level of risk associated with riding a single bicycle up GMR, but unwilling to expose myself or others to what I consider to be a much higher level of risk by pulling a wider, slower moving and less nimble trailer up the road. To me that seems logical.
Old 05-13-10, 12:37 AM
rallison

Bikes: Scattante R-560 w/ Velocity Deep V rims

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about getting a wilderness pass, parking above East Fork on 39 and then riding up 39? That way traffic is of no concern since it is blocked off to cars. And, you can get up to 5k-6k of climbing.
Old 05-13-10, 10:24 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rallison, thanks so much for that recommendation!

Don't worry folks, I've pretty much decided against taking the kid up GMR. But the 39 route sounds enticing. I also like the idea of riding beach paths, but again, my point is to get away from crowded areas and expose my kid to the awesomeness of mountains. It's good to have variety.

As for this Saturday, I've got a babysitter lined up and I'm planning my first long solo ride in a month. Maybe I'll scope out 39 as rallison suggested.
Old 05-13-10, 10:37 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rallison
What about getting a wilderness pass, parking above East Fork on 39 and then riding up 39? That way traffic is of no concern since it is blocked off to cars. And, you can get up to 5k-6k of climbing.
And then my biggest concern becomes being out in the middle of nowhere with my kid. I'd feel less spooked riding out there with my partner or a small group.
Old 05-13-10, 12:48 PM
JustMe
Gr8 day 4 hill repeats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No need to worry about being in the middle of nowhere. I think deer season opens pretty soon; there will be plenty of people up on 39.