Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dick's Sporting Goods - DB with 105/Ultegra $899

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dick's Sporting Goods - DB with 105/Ultegra $899

Old 08-23-10, 12:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I saw two on the shelf, but both looked to be smaller frames. They were at the Dick's in Santa Clarita. It's the only Dick's I've been in so I can't say if it's in other stores or not. I'm not even sure where they have any other stores.
There's one a block away from my grocery store, and I'm going grocery shopping in about a half hour. I'll have to take a peek.
Old 08-23-10, 01:13 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I'm guessing he was being facetious by making a parody with all the Bikes Direct threads.
That's correct, I should have used the sarcasm smiley. I appreciate the OP's effort to inform his peers. My MSRP comment related to the linked Dick's page where the list price is asterisked. The small print says that the list price is for comparison only and the bike has not necessarily ever been sold at that price, or something to that effect.
Old 08-23-10, 02:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Well, my local store has a M and a L in stock. They also have Sora and Tiagra versions. The down tube is HUGE on that frame. The bars have the flat top style. Overall, a pretty nice deal. However, a similarly equipped Specialized Allez Elite is only $200 more at Wheel World right now.

Originally Posted by cranky old road
That's correct, I should have used the sarcasm smiley.
I pissed off a mod once even when I had the smiley in place. An apology explaining that it was a sarcastic joke and that any time I post the :-D means such only got a condescending response and a rant about my attitude. She also made a point of adding the :-D any time she responded to me. The mod was the forum owner's wife, and I explained to him why his forum would fail... and it did.
Old 08-23-10, 02:51 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
I'm guessing he was being facetious by making a parody with all the Bikes Direct threads. The MSRP bit has to be sarcastic when it's only $200 more than selling price on the DBR while Bikes Direct sets MSRP at about double (and has you compare with bikes that have better parts).

I would actually consider that bike. I wonder how the late Podium frames are after people loved them so much a while back. Is it physically in the stores locally?
They have the DBR Podium 1 or 3 ( I forget which model of the entry level) here at Dick's in Las Vegas and were on sale for $499. It has the Sora/Tiagra mix of components. I am considering it for my son.
Old 08-23-10, 06:07 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I'm not ready to buy, and I have way too many bikes to test-ride before buying. I have way too much obsessing to do before I can buy anything!
IMHO, you should hold off on this one. I don't think that's so great a price. It's not bad, but it's not blockbuster, 'they'll be out of stock tomorrow' type price. It's the end of the year and lots of shops will be having sales. I'll bet you can find a better deal in that price range within the next month. As has been said, old 105 will be on sale big time to make room for the new design..........except for BD who will continue to market all the old 105 they can buy for cheap.
Old 08-23-10, 06:31 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
IMHO, you should hold off on this one. I don't think that's so great a price. It's not bad, but it's not blockbuster, 'they'll be out of stock tomorrow' type price. It's the end of the year and lots of shops will be having sales. I'll bet you can find a better deal in that price range within the next month. As has been said, old 105 will be on sale big time to make room for the new design..........except for BD who will continue to market all the old 105 they can buy for cheap.
Thanks Rocco. I'm not in the market right now. Honestly, I haven't saved enough and I won't finance more than I can afford. I really want to buy the right bike the first time. I know people say to buy a beginner bike and upgrade, ride it, then upgrade. I want a nice bike, but nothing extreme. Willing to keep riding my old Rock Hopper until I can afford what I want. Obviously, by the fact that I bought my RH new, I tend to keep my stuff for a while. Thinking I'll end up with a Specialized Roubaix, Synapse, Defy, Felt Z etc. at the 105 level. When the day comes, I'll buy it. Until now, I learn and drool a lot. I just saw a price on Ultegra/105 that was lower than I thought it would be and posted for two reasons. If it was a smoking deal, people would say so and someone may be able to take advantage of it. And two, if it wasn't a great deal, people would say so and edumacate me. See, all comes back to me learning!
Old 08-23-10, 08:26 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a Bikes Direct Kenent with Ultegra 6700 groupo for $1100.00 I think that was a better deal than this one.
Old 08-23-10, 09:32 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Looks ok, but the biggest size is a 55. I'm guessing the greater part of cyclists on here ride a 56. A 55 would work I guess, but that's a weird place to stop.
Actually, they're all ginormous frames. Pasted verbatim from the linked page:
Sizes: 44" (SM), 50" (MD), 55" (LG)
Old 08-23-10, 11:20 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have some cheap diamond back flat bar road bikes (beer bikes) and there is a sticker on the frame that says it was made by kinesis in Taiwan. Looking at the kinesis website makes me think that they make frames for other brands. Oh an our beer bikes have HUGE down tubes as well. For the price I'd say DB might be a good value.
Old 08-24-10, 10:26 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Kinesis is a good company, and they have been making tubes, forks, and frames for a long time.

btw better details can be found on the Diamond Back website, like geometry and the fact that they do make more sizes than Dick's offers.
https://www.diamondback.com/bikes/roa...d/podium-3-10/
Old 08-24-10, 10:57 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Kinesis is a good company, and they have been making tubes, forks, and frames for a long time.

btw better details can be found on the Diamond Back website, like geometry and the fact that they do make more sizes than Dick's offers.
https://www.diamondback.com/bikes/roa...d/podium-3-10/

Ok U K, Tell us what new frame you got!
Old 08-24-10, 11:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by jr59
Ok U K, Tell us what new frame you got!
I didn't. I'm waiting on a used frame from a member who unfortunately got sent on a last minute business trip for a week.
Old 09-07-10, 12:11 PM
vega2614

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just looking through the forums and noticed a thread about my new bike! I bought the Podium 3 at Dick's for the $899, down from $1399. 105 in the front, Ultegra in the back. So far, I'm really liking it. I have about 800 miles on it since early July. It's light, responsive, and I can really move on the roads/trails. I should mention that my previous bike was a 28 year old Schwinn Super Le Tour with downtube shifters, so almost anything would seem nice probably. I jumped on the Podium 3 after shopping around and realizing the groupset was amazing for the price. I looked at bike shops that were selling the 105/Ultegra combo for $500+ more. They were better brands from more knowledgeable people, but I like deals so I got the Podium 3.

It comes with some cheap Shimano clipless pedals, so I just bought some SPD shoes to go along with them. Note that the platform on one side of the pedal is supposed to be removed, as it's really only there for store floor testing purposes.

I've had a few issues up to this point though. Thankfully, I got the 2-year service plan for $60, which includes unlimited check-ups (like alignments and stuff), and 1 full tune-up. I've had to take the bike back to Dick's twice for the following reasons:

-Got a flat within the first 3 miles. Bad tire (tear across side wall), or maybe just ran over something. Dick's replaced tube and tire for free because of service plan (weren't supposed to but made an exception considering the mileage).

-Deraillers needed major alignment, even though the guy who sold it to attempted to tune it before I walked out the door. Only one Dick's in my area had a mech that was good enough to fix road bikes properly according to other Dick's stores that I visited, so I had to drive to a more distant Dick's to get it looked at (only about a half hour, not too bad). Now it shifts pretty well, but apparently the front 105 works for a double or triple crank so you have to be careful about shifting with a double, as to not shift to a non-existent gear.

-Creaking noises coming from seatpost, and stem/steerer junction. Greased seatpost and that went away (louder of the two noises). Haven't disassembled stem to grease yet because I have a ride coming up and don't want to screw anything up.

When I get a full tune up I'll have them look at the freehub. Very occasionally (maybe a dozen times over the 800 miles), when I first start pedaling, the hub seems to skip a ratchet or something. Not as violent as chain skip, but I don't like how I need to go easy for the first few revolutions before punching it. Anybody have any experience with an issue like this?
Old 09-07-10, 12:34 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by vega2614
Now it shifts pretty well, but apparently the front 105 works for a double or triple crank so you have to be careful about shifting with a double, as to not shift to a non-existent gear.
The middle position will allow you to run more gear combinations without rubbing the derailleur as bad. For example, when cross chaining small front / small rear or big front / big rear. With this said keep in mind that cross chaining is never the best thing to do but it does happen from time to time.
Old 09-07-10, 12:42 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
IMHO, you should hold off on this one. I don't think that's so great a price. It's not bad, but it's not a... 'they'll be out of stock tomorrow' type price.
I was at Dick's over the weekend getting volleyball stuff for my daughters and just had to take a stroll to the back. I remembered this post and had to laugh. They were all out of stock! I didn't plan on buying one anyway, but still, had to laugh a little (even though it's been a few weeks, not days)!