Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best chain lubricant?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best chain lubricant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 09:17 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
....and the 'thread drift' keeps increasing........
Old 01-15-17, 09:35 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikon Fan
Harsh crowd here today...yikes! Sorry for asking.
Just par for the course.

It helps, however, to first do a search of the forums before diving headlong into a question. I have learned this the hard way.
Old 01-15-17, 09:44 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by drlogik
Oh, good grief he is a troll! He's a Canon guy, doesn't he know we are all Nixon fans?

To the topic I use Squirt and love it!
Hey, Nixon brought us better relations with China.

Without Nixon there would not be all those Chinese CF bikes, there would not be Chinarellos and there would not be Chinese carbon wheels. Oh Lordy Lord!

So you may all wish considering Nixon as the Father of the modern CF bike industry.
Old 01-15-17, 09:45 AM
Nikon Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
and shortly after
What part of the country do you live, desert ?? Coast ?? Maybe some of the forums members that live in your climate can offer suggestions to remedy that situation. I would diffidently go with a dry lube, but lube is cheap, so experiment. Don't bring up "chain cleaning methods", you'll crash the site. Just use the search function. I learned that from the photography and audio forums I belong.

Way back when my daughter was in high school, she want to help me with weddings. Getting older , I could use some "free" help , so I brought her along.

When she finished HS, I retired my wedding business. Now that she has assisted several weddings, she is on her own, with me assisting, carrying the heavy stuff .

In 20001, I bought a Oly E-1 , sold all my film cameras and equipment. But I hung onto the medium and large format, for old time sake. She loves the medium format, for B&W, but would never, never photograph a wedding with that stuff. Wonders how I did it, but that's all we had, I tell her. She wants to try the 4x5, but I'm not buying her and enlarger and tanks for that format. My bikes are more important, I tell her. Man, I could buy a Campy groupo with electronic shifting for the cost of a large format enlarger , used.
Thanks for the warning; I was actually thinking of asking about the best method for cleaning chains! 😊 For the sake of sanity I"ll do a search and promise not to ask any more questions. ☺

I live in SW Florida. Weird climate down here. It can be dry one day, soupy humid the next. Only constant here is the sand everywhere. You don't notice it until you return home from riding. When the wind picks up you can see the sand better (at least until you get some in your eyes). Also requires me to use protective filters on my lenses (that's an even more contentious debate I learned to stay away from).

There are only three bike shops in my city. Both are pretty far rides from my house, so any work I need done on my bikes requires me to put them in my car and drop them off there. Of the 3 shops I only trust one of them, but they are always busy. That leaves me to try and do whatever I can on my own regarding bike maintenance.

On a totally unrelated side note, I was hoping to trigger some nostalgic effect in my kids when I shot some images of them with Kodachrome and sent it for developing some years ago before Dwayne's Photo stopped developing it; told my kids they would be in a small way part of history. My kids couldn't care less. Even offered to get them absolutely any camera outfit they choose from any brand, even Leica, still no interest. So I now focus my energy on bike riding. By the way, they dislike bike riding ss well... 😑
Old 01-15-17, 09:57 AM
Nikon Fan

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Without Nixon there would not be all those Chinese CF bikes, there would not be Chinarellos and there would not be Chinese carbon wheels. Oh Lordy Lord!

So you may all wish considering Nixon as the Father of the modern CF bike industry.
Interesting! All this time I thought Nixon was just some watch company in California. 😊
Old 01-15-17, 10:16 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for the warning; I was actually thinking of asking about the best method for cleaning chains! 😊 For the sake of sanity I"ll do a search and promise not to ask any more questions. ☺

I live in SW Florida. Weird climate down here. It can be dry one day, soupy humid the next. Only constant here is the sand everywhere. You don't notice it until you return home from riding. When the wind picks up you can see the sand better (at least until you get some in your eyes). Also requires me to use protective filters on my lenses (that's an even more contentious debate I learned to stay away from).

There are only three bike shops in my city. Both are pretty far rides from my house, so any work I need done on my bikes requires me to put them in my car and drop them off there. Of the 3 shops I only trust one of them, but they are always busy. That leaves me to try and do whatever I can on my own regarding bike maintenance.

On a totally unrelated side note, I was hoping to trigger some nostalgic effect in my kids when I shot some images of them with Kodachrome and sent it for developing some years ago before Dwayne's Photo stopped developing it; told my kids they would be in a small way part of history. My kids couldn't care less. Even offered to get them absolutely any camera outfit they choose from any brand, even Leica, still no interest. So I now focus my energy on bike riding. By the way, they dislike bike riding ss well... 😑
Yep, if it can't done with a damn smart phone, they can't or not interested. Both my kid's got into cycling at a young age, saw me on my bikes and gone for hours, but when they got the drivers licence, that all ended. My daughter and her husband, still go for recreational rides on the local bike path. That's only because I live near one and they can store their bikes in my shed. And I do all the maintenance.
Old 01-15-17, 04:46 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The best stuff is surely transmission fluid for a Nissan GT-R. Made with ultimate low friction materials, unicorn blood, with harpy tears added as corrosion preventative.
Old 01-15-17, 05:00 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I prefer baby seal fat.
Old 01-15-17, 05:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

...weirdly, this makes perfect sense to me.
Old 01-15-17, 05:03 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
It's more important to remove and clean the chain than what you lube it with. I clean mine in an ultrasonic cleaner every 800 miles and lube it with chain saw bar oil diluted with unscented mineral spirits.
The original lube is the best. you can find it here. gleitmo 582 SPRAY - FUCHS LUBRITECH GmbH
Old 01-15-17, 05:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...analyze your problem. If sand is your primary issue, I think yoiu'll discover that by wiping your chain with a waste rag and mineral spirits, you can get it reasonably clean and dry on the exterior. If you simply leave it that way, with whatever magical stuff the chain manufacturer pressure injected inside the pin/roller interface ( which is where most of the wear takes place under pressure) will probably work pretty well. If you have a chain you've regularly been squirting crap on it has doubtless washed sand and grit down in there already, you might want to replace with new and start from scratch...a not terribly difficult job to learn to do yourself.

If you begin to notice exterior rust from your humid salt air environment, you might then want to consider some sort of dry exterior protection in the future. But arguably if sand and fine windblown particulates are your problem and you don't ride in the rain (like most sane people), it does more harm than good to wash that crap down into your link interiors where all the wear takes place.

...if your bicycle is to be of any long term practical use to you, this is an excellent plan.
Old 01-15-17, 05:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I prefer baby seal fat.
...damn Canadians. Hey ho 69er.
Old 01-15-17, 06:47 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...damn Canadians. Hey ho 69er.
Hey, aboot time I took offence, eh. We use moose fat or whale blubber up here for all our lubrication needs, eh.
Old 01-15-17, 08:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

...weirdly, this makes perfect sense to me.

Now I am scared.
Old 01-15-17, 08:40 PM
Nikon Fan

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
...analyze your problem. If sand is your primary issue, I think yoiu'll discover that by wiping your chain with a waste rag and mineral spirits, you can get it reasonably clean and dry on the exterior. If you simply leave it that way, with whatever magical stuff the chain manufacturer pressure injected inside the pin/roller interface ( which is where most of the wear takes place under pressure) will probably work pretty well. If you have a chain you've regularly been squirting crap on it has doubtless washed sand and grit down in there already, you might want to replace with new and start from scratch...a not terribly difficult job to learn to do yourself.

If you begin to notice exterior rust from your humid salt air environment, you might then want to consider some sort of dry exterior protection in the future. But arguably if sand and fine windblown particulates are your problem and you don't ride in the rain (like most sane people), it does more harm than good to wash that crap down into your link interiors where all the wear takes place.

...if your bicycle is to be of any long term practical use to you, this is an excellent plan.

Thanks! I haven't done any chain cleaning or lubrication on my Trek yet; I got by the past few months by just shaking the excess sand off after every ride. This past week I started to notice a very slight grinding noise, so I began thinking of having to lubricate the chain.

I plan on cleaning the chain before applying any lube on it for now (lube I ordered should arrive in a couple of days). Of course, the nagging question I have in the back of my head at this time is that if there is sand on my chain there might be sand in other critical areas of my bike as well. Of course that's a topic for a whole other post... 😐
Old 01-16-17, 05:52 AM
vze23c3q

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All the answers you seek can be found at https://moltenspeedwax.com/ Buy a second chain and rotate them through the cleaning cycle. A little Clean Ride can extend the service time (~600 miles for me). Having a clean chain you can handle without getting covered in black grime is priceless to me. And for you, the sand may be a compelling reason to use wax.
Old 01-16-17, 06:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I promise not to open that can of worms! 😂

Too cool, I have a Mamiya 645j, 645E and an RB67 with a metered pentaprism! Beastly cameras, but absolutely awesome! Haven't used them in a few years, but love them nonetheless!
Honestly, unless it's foveon-based, anything else just doesn't compare to film
Old 01-16-17, 07:20 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Available at hardware stores, and gets to the tough places like the back of your freewheel and under-bottom bracket cable guide:

Last edited by 1989Pre; 05-05-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 07:48 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by vze23c3q
All the answers you seek can be found at https://moltenspeedwax.com/ Buy a second chain and rotate them through the cleaning cycle. A little Clean Ride can extend the service time (~600 miles for me). Having a clean chain you can handle without getting covered in black grime is priceless to me. And for you, the sand may be a compelling reason to use wax.
On a few of my bikes I use the molten speed wax cleaning technique and the UltraFast Chain Lube recipe, which is 1lb of household paraffin wax, 5g of pure PTFE (Teflon) powder, and 1g of pure molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). Once you have the system set up it's not really much more work than other lubes, and your transmission is always clean.
Old 01-16-17, 07:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Kinda like asking what is the best bathroom tissue.

When I was 10 y/o we just used Oil. It worked
(Insert bathroom joke of your choice here.)
Old 01-16-17, 07:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
(Insert bathroom joke of your choice here.)

Old 01-16-17, 07:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I mostly use ProGold ProLink but would suggest that what's most important is to use something consistently.

I just recently started scanning our cache of slides from the 70's - 90's. This one from the Hilly Hundred tour in 1980 demonstrates that in 1980 in the Midwest it was common for cyclists to wear Bell Biker helmets or no helmets. Oh, wait, I forget this was a chain lube thread and not a helmet thread..............................................

I can't remember for sure but I think that I was on that ride.
Old 01-16-17, 08:30 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
The best chain lube is....

Criteria for the best chain lube: suitable for your riding style/situation, available, and perhaps most importantly- follow the manufacturers directions for application.

If sand is a problem then clean/wash your chain as often as you feel is necessary. Using a rag to periodically wipe off grit and road debris is a good start. I'm OC about my drive train, it must be clean and silent, so I wash all my chains as needed, especially on my cyclocross and mountain bike. Soak with Simple Green (or similar product), let sit a while if possible, rinse off with a strong stream of water (avoiding hubs and bb, if you have a master link on your chain you can remove it, but I don't usually bother), let chain dry (I blow it off with a compressor), when chain is dry, re-lube with preferred brand of lube following brand specific directions.

As you might have noticed, chain lubes, and chain maintenance methods are basically opinions (based on some experience hopefully), and you know what they say about opinions.

FWIW, I have tried or experimented with many/most available brands over the last thirty + years, my only strong opinion is that I do not like the wax based lubes, but they obviously are liked by many cyclist because they are still around.

Welcome to the forums, I spent my formative years growing up in central Florida where a small group of young people invented off-road cycling (we didn't have mountains) in the mid sixties.

I don't know squat about cameras, firearms yes, FYI- conversations about firearms are verboten on the forums.
Old 01-16-17, 04:38 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I can't remember for sure but I think that I was on that ride.
You were the guy wearing the Bell Biker, right?

I've missed very few Hilly Hundreds since '76, and those were all when we lived in Atlanta from '79-'86. Scanning all our old slides should help me remember which were the missed Hillys. Is that important? Dunno..............

Back on point: Yes, clean and lube your chains regularly.
Old 01-16-17, 04:53 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The purpose of oil is to separate moving parts; if they don’t touch, they don’t wear.
The rougher the parts, the thicker the oil needs to be to make sure those parts do not touch, weld and wear.

Bicycle chain wearing surfaces are rough; they need thick oil.
FbinNY said it most succinctly a while back when he replied to the “what is the best chain lube” with and I quote: “Thick oil.” This was true last year and it will be true next year.

The problem is getting thick oil where it needs to be, keeping it there and keeping the working portion clean.

All the rest is detail ;o)

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.