Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Planning a new bike

Old 08-21-21, 12:41 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Planning a new bike

I've decided to get a fancy new bike, my first. I've ridden a few different bikes in the past several years, which has given me some ideas about the pros & cons of different geometries/materials/bike setups. Now, after much deliberation, I have a sense of what I want.
  • Steel or titanium, mid-reach rim brake, at least 28mm+fenders, 32mm+fenders ideal (I'd consider disc but prefer rim)
  • All-rounder--something that's good on fast short rides and slower long rides alike (or at least can be outfitted for the latter)
  • Not BQ style, low-trail, 650b--I tried one of those for a week, thought I'd love it, I didn't
  • High trail, 700c, stiffer frame than my current Reynolds 531 Austro Daimler, but with great ride quality
  • Classic-ish style, but modern parts
  • Unique/fancy/custom builder (rationally I can't justify this, but life is short)
  • Not too too expensive
In the short term, I'd be using this bike mainly for shorter rides--harder-effort 30 or 40 mile rides, and the occasional 100k or century. We have some big life changes going on--a brand new addition to the family--so I won't be doing long brevets for a while. But I have an eye on PBP 2023 and envision this as something for that, too, if I'm able to do it.

Any recommendations? So far I've found the Hampsten Strada Bianca and the Indy Fab Club Racer. The Seven Red Sky caught my eye, too, but it's really pricy. (Granted I've never ridden titanium, maybe it's worth it?) Hard to find detailed reviews on any of them, however.

Last edited by samkl; 08-21-21 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 04:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
iTrod seems happy with his bike. He just switched to 650b
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...ndonneuse.html
Old 08-22-21, 12:46 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I adore my Seven. They are expensive but I would absolutely get one again. (I would add that with any custom, your local fitter is an important part of the equations.)

Mine is steel from when they still did both, but it’s basically the redsky configuration. If I was doing it again I might get an Evergreen-style because when I got it I said I wasn’t going to do gravel much and then I started.

Last edited by antimonysarah; 08-22-21 at 12:51 PM.
Likes For antimonysarah:
Old 08-22-21, 08:49 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
FWIW, I would recommend getting something that can fit, say, 700c x 38mm tires. One does not need to get something from the BQ school for this to be worthwhile; see, e.g., all current Trek Domane bikes. I can’t imagine any downside to having the clearance. (Ok, rim brakes. Maybe consider something like Paul Minimoto, which are designed for road levers, are very effective, and certainly have enough clearance for 38mm tires.)
Likes For scubaman:
Old 08-23-21, 04:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
The options for a good frame that has rim brakes and clearance for 32mm (or more) and fenders is getting harder to find. And with the whole world going to through axles at lightning speed, they are getting quite rare.

A couple months ago one of my neighbors that is a bike mechanic was admiring one of my bikes. It has steel frame, quick release, canti brakes. 32mm tires and fenders, dyno powered lighting. I commented it was one of the last ones from that manufacturer before they went to disc and through axle for everything, he said he wished he had bought a few more frames back then.

And a couple weeks ago I was in a local bike coop, one of their staff was admiring that same bike, I suspect for the same reasons.

With the busted supply chains right now, you might be out of luck getting exactly what you want. So, if you see a good frame that you like in a size that fits, new or used, grab it quickly. The other components can be added later when supply chains get better again.
Old 08-23-21, 09:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
  • Not BQ style, low-trail, 650b--I tried one of those for a week, thought I'd love it, I didn't
Which part didn't you like, the low trail or the 650B (assuming it was the wide-tire aspect of that)? Or was it both?

As I was crossing the finish line in 2015, it occurred to me that 32mm tires would have been plenty for PBP. The roads were pretty good.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-23-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-23-21, 10:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

When I got back from PBP in 2019, I was thinking maybe I would want to go with 28mm tires if I do it again. There was one stretch between St Nick and Carhaix where Jan Heine was much happier than I was on my 32mm tires, but otherwise 28mm would have been fine.

You can always put smaller tires on, but bigger can be a problem.
Old 08-23-21, 11:51 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Funny, I had a similar bike building idea many years ago when I was building my long distance bike.
I did not want a 650b or low trail geo bikes, but I wanted a race or enduro geometry fast bike, relatively light and be able to fit tires up to 32mm and rack mounts. I ended up getting a carbon Jamis Endura, that is no longer made.
Another option is to look at Motobecane Century bikes.
According to the spec you can fit up to 40 mm tires:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...oadbike-xx.htm
Old 08-23-21, 01:53 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
If I were going custom I think I'd go with a Kirk frame, there's a few different models in the gallery that I caught my eye. The frames start at 4100$ so for me that falls into the expensive category. I have a real soft spot for stainless bikes.
Old 08-23-21, 04:31 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I love everything about my seven. There's a reason 4 out of 5 of our club officers ride one, but that probably gets you into the too too expensive range. What about the Roadeo? I know how much you like Rivendells . Or maybe a Waterford? They're right up the road and can make you whatever you want.
Old 08-24-21, 01:49 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Originally Posted by kingston
What about the Roadeo? I know how much you like Rivendells
Ha, I lol'd. But really, 4 out of 5 GLUCs ride Sevens? Maybe I should keep saving up...
Old 08-24-21, 02:02 PM
samkl 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Which part didn't you like, the low trail or the 650B (assuming it was the wide-tire aspect of that)? Or was it both?
I was surprised by how slow and mushy it was. I took it on 4 or 5 rides of 35-40 miles, and I was always 2-4 mph slower than on my Austro Daimler. I could get used to the steering, but the bike would shimmy above 18mph. It was really hard to get the bike above 20mph on the flats. The 42mm tires didn't feel much more comfortable than 32s. I liked the front bag though.

Point is, I get why this kind of bike is such an obscure niche. I do love reading BQ though.
Old 08-24-21, 02:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

I was surprised by how slow and mushy it was. I took it on 4 or 5 rides of 35-40 miles, and I was always 2-4 mph slower than on my Austro Daimler. I could get used to the steering, but the bike would shimmy above 18mph. It was really hard to get the bike above 20mph on the flats. The 42mm tires didn't feel much more comfortable than 32s. I liked the front bag though.

Point is, I get why this kind of bike is such an obscure niche. I do love reading BQ though.
Gotcha. I hope it didn't sound like I was challenging you on your preferences, just wanted to draw out a little more detail that might help in the discussion.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-24-21, 02:16 PM
samkl 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Gotcha. I hope it didn't sound like I was challenging you on your preferences, just wanted to draw out a little more detail that might help in the discussion.
Ha, I didn't mean to sound so negative. I get why people with a different riding style might like them, and they're beautiful, and maybe the frame was underbuilt for my weight... but not for me!
Old 08-24-21, 02:41 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Ha, I lol'd. But really, 4 out of 5 GLUCs ride Sevens? Maybe I should keep saving up...
It's true. Astonishingly, Seven was the most common brand of bike on the Iron Porcupine last year. They could build you one for wide tires and medium reach rim brakes if that's what you wanted. A Waltly could be a viable less expensive alternative.
Old 08-24-21, 04:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Ha, I didn't mean to sound so negative. I get why people with a different riding style might like them, and they're beautiful, and maybe the frame was underbuilt for my weight... but not for me!
It didn't sound negative, just honest. I think medium-to-high trail and wheels in the ballpark of 700x28 are probably better suited for most people, anyway.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-24-21, 05:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I was surprised by how slow and mushy it was.
What bike was it? I know some people that ride low-end soma 650b bikes with 40+mm tires and do it quite rapidly.

And I know some slower people that do pretty well on them too.

Not trying to talk into buying something you don't want, of course. My rando bikes are 700x32mm with different amounts of trail. The one I rode on PBP is very low trail and I had no problems with shimmy even when going too fast on the way back to Carhaix. The next one is going to have more trail, but not that much more.
Old 08-24-21, 05:31 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Low trail requires a soft hand. A nervous or tight hand>>> not good. It isn't like I can't do it but I know my limits and when wet and cold, I don't want to fight my bike. .....I'd rather be behind a sled in adverse conditions. I'll take maneuvering slow speed wonkiness sawing the bars back and forth at 3 mph in exchange. An honest tradeoff but understandably, nobody wants to struggle at 3 mph with their tongue out sucking air
Old 08-24-21, 05:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't remember ever riding my low trail bike without at least something in the front bag. I don't recommend it. I'm not sure I could make it to the first traffic light.
It doesn't take much weight though, spare tire is enough.

High trail and a rando front bag is scary like an overweight truck. I also had trouble with forced shimmy if I ever shivered from being cold. I rode a bike like that for quite a while and kept wondering why I didn't make a lower trail fork.
Old 08-24-21, 05:54 PM
samkl 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
What bike was it? I know some people that ride low-end soma 650b bikes with 40+mm tires and do it quite rapidly.

And I know some slower people that do pretty well on them too.

Not trying to talk into buying something you don't want, of course. My rando bikes are 700x32mm with different amounts of trail. The one I rode on PBP is very low trail and I had no problems with shimmy even when going too fast on the way back to Carhaix. The next one is going to have more trail, but not that much more.
This was a custom frame by a well-regarded builder, and made for someone probably 20lbs lighter and a few inches shorter than me. So I’m sure that contributed to the ride (and the shimmy). I’m also kind of a masher so my style probably isn’t suited to the fat tires + ultra flexy frame formula.

I’m glad it works for you and others, because it contributes to the variety of beautiful and wacky bikes out there in the world!
Old 08-24-21, 05:56 PM
samkl 

I don't remember ever riding my low trail bike without at least something in the front bag. I don't recommend it. I'm not sure I could make it to the first traffic light.
It doesn't take much weight though, spare tire is enough.

High trail and a rando front bag is scary like an overweight truck. I also had trouble with forced shimmy if I ever shivered from being cold. I rode a bike like that for quite a while and kept wondering why I didn't make a lower trail fork.
I had a bag on the front with tools etc, and it did handle pretty well with it—better than my AD with a handlebar bag. But everything has a trade off, so I guess it comes down to what things bother you more…
Old 08-24-21, 11:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

That describes my rando riding up to and including PBP 2015. Trail figure of about 66mm with perhaps too much weight in the bag, and the shimmy could be violent when I took my hands off the bars (or if I got cold!) So instead of a really stable bike that took care of itself, I had to keep a hand on the bars at all times, and that got tiring. I didn't have anything to lose by going to low-trail, really.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-25-21, 07:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

If that bike had ever shimmied without my input, I would have retired it immediately. Or at least made a new fork.
Old 08-25-21, 09:31 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Maybe take a look at Rodriguez Cycles. For custom bikes, their prices seem pretty reasonable, and the company has been around for a long time. Possibly the Ranier, although they're speccing that with Tektro long-reach caliper brakes (I had a bike with these…just say no), but I think you'd really want cantis for a bike like that. Or discs.

Last edited by adamrice; 08-26-21 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 07:09 PM
sloar

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
You basically described my Surly Cross Check. My favorite for long distance rides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.