Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Double Dose of Lemon

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Double Dose of Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 08:05 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Double Dose of Lemon

Could not resist picking up this duo at $50 Canadian. Schwinns are fairly rare north of the border.

Old 08-11-22, 08:08 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Very clean pair of time capsules you scored

DD
Old 08-12-22, 01:58 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Great looking bikes GARRY!

You can determine the YEAR from the 2nd Letter at serial number on the headtube at front near the fork and below the SCHWINN ( ) headbadge.
2ND LETTER tells you the YEAR:
G=1971
H=1972
J=1973
K=1974
(........Schwinn SKIPPED the Letters "eye" and "oh" because they look too much like "one" and "zero"......)
You could carry out the YEAR chart list both earlier and later, but that tells you how SCHWINN did it from around 1966 on......the SERIAL NUMBER was near the rear drop out until some time during 1970 model year)

THE 1st LETTER = MONTH
.......Again SCHWINN skipped "eye" and "oh".........but as you know that there are only 12 months in the year so that they only get as far as "em".
.................A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, E=May, F=Jun, G=July, H=August, J=Sept, K=Oct, L=Nov, M=Dec

*** You may already know all of that but for the benefit of others who see your outstanding YELLOW (Kool Lemon) SCHWINNS, and perhaps generate and interest or curiosity in these neat, great riding ancient Schwinns.***

'73 men's Speedster page:
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...0/1973_17.html

here are the 1971 through 1980 Schwinn Catalogs that the waterford site host that you can flip through hundreds of pages
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...inn_1971_1980/

here are the 1961 through 1970 Schwinn Catalogs that the waterford site hosts that you can flip through
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...inn_1961_1970/

Should you or anyone with a Rear FENDER of a SCHWINN "lightweight" from the end of the fifties..Sixties through the early Seventies ..MISSING the ROUND reflector
..............there is a Chinese universal motorcycle reflector, ....41mm reflector (KM-106-2-RD) that is the nearest exact replacement IF YOU ARE MISSING YOURS.
.........Now it is an exact fit, OTHER THAN THE INTEGRAL STUD OF THE Chinese 41mm REFLECTOR is approx 4mm too long.
.....Ideally, you want to cut it to perfect length, ....YOU WILL NEED TO TEMPORARILY BOLT THE REFLECTOR ON TO A PIECE OF SCRAP WOOD OR METAL SCRAP IN ORDER TO MOUNT THE REFLECTOR IN A VISE SO THAT YOU CAN SAW OFF THAT VERY SMALL AMOUNT FROM THE REFLECTOR'S INTEGRAL THREADED STUD...................you could just use it as it comes, without cutting length off, but it will protrude farther, and clearance between the tire will be reduced....it will look better and appear like it came from the factory, IF YOU DO CUT OFF the excess unneeded portion. You must use a piece of scrap wood or metal scrap BECAUSE You Don't Want To Scar Up & Destroy the Reflector by squeezing it in the vice......simply bolt the reflector to a scrap, and then the scrap gets squeezed securely in the vice's jaws....the reflector is bolted to the wood/metal scrap that is sticking out.
...........SEARCH Ebay, ALL CATEGORIES for: 41mm reflector
As you can see there are many of these, available from many Chinese vendors, (these are just some that popped up in a Ebay search moments ago)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333766374933
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333767398736
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273129102831
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303751112213
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193725778768
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203156446075
....those are just a few different Chinese vendors, AS YOU CAN SEE that these are the exact same KM-106-2-RD , 41mm red REFLECTOR...

..............YOU DO NEED TO HAVE THE Schwinn bezel (that chrome stamped steel "pad thingy that provides a flat base" for the reflector on the curved fender)

You see that the yellow SPEEDSTER and the yellow BREEZE above feature the 46T "mag" Schwinn Chainwheel.
They certainly look "cooler" than the 46T "clover"-four round hole Schwinn Chainwheel, but functionally no different, though I have never weighed them to see if there is any weight difference.
If you're curious, go look through the pages of the different year catalogs in those waterford schwinn catalog links, to see what models / years got.
For example, I think that the 1969 COLLEGIATES and 1970 COLLEGIATES, all got the "mag" chainwheel but 1968 and earlier had "clover"-four hole style, and the 1971 COLLEGIATES on up, had the "clover"-four hole style.........well, okay right before the Chicago end, the "mag" was used again on a badged Collegiate version variant of the former 3 speed Breeze, I think.

*** You Certainly Have a pair of standout sharp Schwinns in perhaps the most visible color. Like Roger Daltry sang, you'll be " seen for miles and miles"....
Thats a good thing! Cue up the old Donovan classic......but if its still sunny and nice outside, get out and ride first.
Old 08-12-22, 05:28 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Looks like you're gonna have to switch to drinking only lemonade from now on. 🤔😁😉
Old 08-12-22, 05:53 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Sunny Cycles up!
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 08-12-22, 06:14 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Nice find! I wonder how they ended up in Campbell River?
Old 08-12-22, 09:55 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
They came from Oregon so i imagine some Americans had a summer place here and kept them in a dry garage.
Old 08-12-22, 10:13 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Nice find @garryg ! The chrome looks great and the condition is very good. These old Schwinn bikes usually clean up well. Enjoy your new rides.

By the way, good point about there not being too many Schwinn's in Canada. I'm surprised that Schwinn didn't make a better effort at selling there or perhaps they knew something that I don't.
Old 08-13-22, 03:23 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have picked up a Schwinn only one time and at a yard sale. As I recall, I hurt my back doing so, not expecting to find out how heavy the darn thing was. The kid across the street stole the bike out of my back yard. I talked to him about it, suggesting that he should not steal, and then told him to keep the bike, if he wanted to. I guess he told his dad about the situation and his dad thanked me for being understanding with the boy. And, his dad gave me an old Bottecchia "Model Special" that he had owned since buying it new in the early seventies.

But my back still hurts.