Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which tool for this Kuwahara Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 07:37 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

I might have answered my own question here, but which wrench do I need for this kind of bottom bracket cup on the NDS? A pin spanner doesn't look like it will securely fit the bill. Whatever it is, I don't own one. I have the wrench for oval DS cup.

Old 08-16-22, 08:55 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
You need a "lockring spanner". The Park HCW-5 is typical.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-16-22, 10:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
For the LH cup (and not the lock ring) the Park HCW-11 is the sort of current tool. Park use to make the SPA-4 (forget the right number, yellow handle with squared off ends). But since this cup interface isn't common these days the "best" tools are long ago out of production. Andy
Old 08-16-22, 10:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
You need 6 tools:

1. Something to pull the dust cover off.
2. A 14 mm socket or Park CCW-5 crank bolt wrench
3. A Park CCP-22 crank puller
4. A HCW-5 lock ring tool
5. A HCW-11 adjustable cup wrench
6. A HCW-4 fixed cup wrench.

I would also suggest using this method for bottom bracket removal. Removing the fixed cup side is counter-intuitive but it is easier since removing the fixed cup is usually the hardest step that is made harder without the spindle in place.

I would also suggest that you replace the bottom bracket with a cartridge bearing unit. Less maintenance and longer unit life.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-17-22, 02:57 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Hello to responders, thank you for the input. I should have clarified that the tool query was for the keyed NDS cup and not the lockring. I would usually swap this old BB out for a cartridge but I want to run a thinner grease down there for winter riding. I do the same for the pedals and hubs. Makes a big difference in energy expenditure, especially the hubs. I'll pop in to a local coop and do the repack work there seeing as how they`ve the tool.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 08-17-22, 06:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hello to responders, thank you for the input. I should have clarified that the tool query was for the keyed NDS cup and not the lockring. I would usually swap this old BB out for a cartridge but I want to run a thinner grease down there for winter riding. I do the same for the pedals and hubs. Makes a big difference in energy expenditure, especially the hubs. I'll pop in to a local coop and do the repack work there seeing as how they`ve the tool.
The HCW-11 should work on that cup. A HCW-18 might work as well. That’s where I would start if the bike came into my co-op. You might need to do a little modification to either the tool or the cup but it should be minor.

Park used to make a tool called the SPA-4 which is a slotted spanner with a yellow handle. They don’t make them anymore and they are rare. In a pinch, you might be able to make one of their pin spanners work. This spanner might work but it is horrible expensive.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!