Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire pressure

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire pressure

Old 08-17-22, 12:25 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Sounds like a lot of backpedaling for something you twice said was worthless! <grin>

Now because I used the term "blast" you try to turn this back on me as sounding like I'm the problem in this conversation?
I clearly explained why I replied to the later comment not the original comment. Stop making up stories.

What? At most I am implying that you took it too personally and even that isn't saying you are the problem.
Old 08-17-22, 10:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The only reason you use the pressure you do is because you think you're faster? How long is the ride and what were the time differences? Rolling resistance is by far the least difference and the last reason you should ride lower pressure. Traction? Better at lower than you're using. Ride quality? Better at lower than you're using. Those points can not be argued.
Cor blimey but I love that "can not be argued." Tell you a little story. Decades ago, I rode light 23s at 140, both ends. Side wall pressure was 160. I could out-coast everyone. I had a very fast riding buddy, shorter than I, same weight, who slaughtered me climbing except I'd get him back on a long descent. He asked exactly how I did that. I told him about the tires and pressure. He put on those tires at those pressures and next ride, dropped me on a descent. It all depends on the road surface texture. I don't run 140 anymore. The tires we get now are not as supple and little bumps bother me more than they used to, so I run 80 front and 100 rear and still drop everyone I ride with on descents. My guess is that stiffer tires don't need/shouldn't have as much pressure.

Everyone seems to think that their riding conditions are universal. They're not. I cornered as fast as anyone and had lower times than I should have on 400k brevets, comfortable the whole way. Ah, back in the day.

You might want to look at smooth roller data. For sure lower pressures are faster on cobbles and rumble strips. We know that. In between, there's a gray area. We have to experiment with our tires on our pavement.
Old 08-17-22, 11:14 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Old 08-17-22, 01:51 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Obviously softer is "faster", according to the same bike industry trying to push us all to TL hookless at 72 psi max .. Hook line and sinker! haha! :-)

EDIT: According to an other currently active thread, weight also doesn't matter .. Sure it doesnt!

Next up a 10w dynamo to power the gadgetry, - electronic gear, super computer, radar system, safety lights and ABS brakes ...

Last edited by Racing Dan; 08-17-22 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-17-22, 05:51 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Obviously softer is "faster", according to the same bike industry trying to push us all to TL hookless at 72 psi max .. Hook line and sinker! haha! :-)

EDIT: According to an other currently active thread, weight also doesn't matter .. Sure it doesnt!

Next up a 10w dynamo to power the gadgetry, - electronic gear, super computer, radar system, safety lights and ABS brakes ...
Well, if it's backed by empirical evidence, I don't see why anyone would need to debate this... Conspiracy theorists may-be?

65PSI is the sweet spot for me. I tried 70, I tried 60. I don't believe there would be any benefits from increasing my pressure.
Old 08-17-22, 06:23 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
No its not, as seen in the link/data provided before. Except if if not realy road riding anymore. Ppl claim the data support their claim, but no. Take a look for yourself.
Old 08-18-22, 08:57 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
No its not, as seen in the link/data provided before. Except if if not realy road riding anymore. Ppl claim the data support their claim, but no. Take a look for yourself.
Your Silca link above is a test with tubes. In that test 90 psi was only 1W different than 100psi on 25c tires which is in the noise, so 90psi is about optimal. My link above shows some pros are advising 90psi on tubed 25c and 12psi less for tubeless over tubes. So that's 90-12=78psi being optimal for tubeless 25c. eduskator has 28c tubeless which my link suggests -5psi for 28 over 25 so 73psi. Thats pretty close to his 65psi.