Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prescription Sunglasses

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Prescription Sunglasses

Old 07-09-22, 02:29 PM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Prescription Sunglasses

I would like to order sunglasses online. I have been looking through the Zenni site. I like their frames and their low prices. There is one sticking point however. My eye doctor recommended a tint of 50 percent. They said that I would have to have 80 percent. That would not be suitable for me. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 07-09-22, 02:49 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I would like to order sunglasses online. I have been looking through the Zenni site. I like their frames and their low prices. There is one sticking point however. My eye doctor recommended a tint of 50 percent. They said that I would have to have 80 percent. That would not be suitable for me. I would appreciate any suggestions.
You might go back to the doctor and ask if 80% is OK for you. The 50% recommendation might have been just a ballpark number rather than a hard number.
Old 07-09-22, 02:53 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
You might go back to the doctor and ask if 80% is OK for you. The 50% recommendation might have been just a ballpark number rather than a hard number.
I appreciate your input but I am afraid that wont be the case. At some point, I will need cataract surgery. Presently it is not the time.
Old 07-09-22, 03:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to shop in-person.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-09-22, 06:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,438 Times in 1,738 Posts
I get my prescription eyewear for cycling from sporteyes.com. They have a great selection.

My go-to brand is Rudy Project, with interchangeable lenses and a prescription insert.

Personal suggestion: don't skimp on cycling eyewear.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-10-22, 10:42 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Check with Tifosi, they have some reasonably priced options.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-10-22, 12:07 PM
daniell

Eyebuy Direct will make my glasses with a 50 percent tint. Their prices are good, they have a good selection and give good support.
Old 07-10-22, 12:17 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I just got a pair of Rx Gatorz in the mail three weeks ago. Wow!! I've had Smiths, which are REALLY good, as well as Carrera and a few others but these Gatorz have surpassed my expectations by a wide margin. So much so that I got a pair of non-Rx as well. I got the Wraptors which are wrap-around sunglasses. Not sure if you've tried those before but they do take some getting used to. I got them primarily for riding my bike and my little British sports car when the top is down. For that purpose they work remarkably well. They have a bunch of different lenses with multiple lens light percentages to choose from.

Gatorz are popular in the military for their eye protection capabilities (they sell mil-spec lenses too). They are made from aircraft aluminum frames with the lenses mounted without screws into the frames. Built like a tank but very light weight also. They also have a lifetime guarantee. You should check them out at:
https://www.gatorz.com/

These are the ones I got but they sell them in all kinds of frame and lens colors:

Last edited by drlogik; 07-10-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 02:21 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I like Zenni for their low prices, since I travel for work a lot, and I like having a couple pair with me, that I don't have to worry if something happens to them. I've had a couple pairs of sunglasses made, as well, for beach/water activities. The standard "dark smoke" gray tint is really dark, but they've got half a dozen tint colors in solid or gradient fades to pick from. Their bronze tint is a pretty versatile shade, especially in mixed light conditions

If you have simple prescription requirements, and don't go crazy with upgrades, you can get a pair made for about the same as pair of decent "off-the-shelf" nonprescription glasses.

If you need something really specific, though you might be better served looking up-market, or at a full-service optical shop.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 07-11-22, 09:37 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
I appreciate your input but I am afraid that wont be the case. At some point, I will need cataract surgery. Presently it is not the time.
I just had one eye done this spring, but didn't have an issue with sunglasses or brightness. Why are you so sure that there is a critical difference between 50% and 80%?
Old 07-11-22, 10:28 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I just had one eye done this spring, but didn't have an issue with sunglasses or brightness. Why are you so sure that there is a critical difference between 50% and 80%?
The doctor said that in about a year I will need cataract surgery. Presently I don't see too well without bright light. I would think that after the surgery, it will change. My prescription may change after the surgery.
Old 07-11-22, 10:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
The doctor said that in about a year I will need cataract surgery. Presently I don't see too well without bright light. I would think that after the surgery, it will change. My prescription may change after the surgery.
A major advantage of brands that feature inserts, such as Rudy Project, mentioned above, is that if your Rx changes down the road you only have to buy a new insert and not new lenses. I got RP's for that reason and my Rx recently changed a bit. Going to get new inserts soon.

BTW...Check out Sportsrx.com They carry tons of brands.
Old 08-17-22, 11:41 PM
aparhar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the pros and cons of inserts vs prescription in the lens itself? I seem to like the flexibility (and cost) of the former but do the inserts mess with the eyelashes?
Old 08-18-22, 03:01 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Not sure if it's an option but I use disposable contacts, that way I can wear any glasses I choose.
Old 08-18-22, 08:43 AM
aparhar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Not sure if it's an option but I use disposable contacts, that way I can wear any glasses I choose.
It's theoretically an option but I have never liked the feel of contacts and try to avoid them (I do keep some emergency pairs of daily disposables with me). If I go for prescription sunglasses (not inserts) I'd like to maybe get a frame that I could wear otherwise too, not just while biking. So effectively avoid very curved frames. What do people think about a frame such as Tifosi Swick (looks like I can't post a URL until I have written 10 posts)? Looks like a design that would work for casual wear too, but does it look like it will be adequate / appropriate for biking?
Old 08-18-22, 09:19 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Here is my take on it.

Cycling specific sunglasses probably provide the best mix of weight, vision (peripheral), and ventilation.

I cannot remember a time when I didn’t wear glasses until I had cataract surgery 4 years ago. Over those years I’ve done countless sports wearing glasses.

For a number of years I got photo gray and then got ultra thin transition lenses. They worked great, especially in changing light.

If you are not getting wrap around, I don’t see the benefit of going with cycling specific prescription glasses especially if you plan on wearing them as your primary pair. It’s tough enough keeping track of one pair of glasses, when you can’t see, much less swapping them out.

John
Old 08-18-22, 06:00 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I can use readers with the bifocal section at the bottom to be able to read the computer display or to use my iphone. I pay $15 for most and they come in varing tints and amount of tint. My darkest ones are Tifosi readers. These wrap around and provide excellent eye protection from bugs and dirt.

Amount of tint needed depends on the amount of ambient light. When it is foggy in the morning I use sunglasses with a yellow tint and others that have different amounts of gray tint for differing amounts of sunlight when riding. Polarized sunglasses should reduce light by 50% but I have had issues with some displays with polarized sunglasses resulting in banding.
Old 08-18-22, 08:43 PM
theapodan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I quite like my zenni polarized sunglasses. They are a nice even gray, which works well on bright and overcast days.
Old 08-20-22, 04:30 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Not everyone can tolerate contacts, or has a prescription appropriate for them.

I wore contacts daily for years, but environmental considerations on my current job makes them a liability under the best circumstances, so I went back to glasses.
I've had a few different pairs of Rx sunglasses made over the last couple years , so I don't feel like I'm missing something by not using non-Rx glasses