Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

lower back pain after 90min of riding, how to get rid of it/improve?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

lower back pain after 90min of riding, how to get rid of it/improve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 10:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Waiting for the doctors to comment how bones work without muscles.
How's this? There is so much we don't understand.
Old 08-18-22, 04:31 PM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
For the fact that you experience pain on hard climbs, is it a discomfort or is it pain? I don't believe it's abnormal to feel pain at some point. When climbing, your body is bent more than when you're riding on flat surface and for a longer period of time. You're struggling with your breath, you're in and out of the saddle often, you wiggle, etc. All of this can result in discomfort after such extensive effort.
let's say it was discomfort after 20-30 mins, but the climb had 60mins, so later it was more pain, and the fight to finish without stopping, still, only muscles (lower back, a bit on sides). when i went easier it dissapeared completely, or on flat.

1-2 months ago I did granfondo 230km 4000m elevation (3 big climbs), and it was fine, but they weren't steep and i didn't push hard (max 80-81%HRm)
Old 08-18-22, 05:50 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
I just glanced over a lot of the replies and see a lot of responses advising fit yet the OP stated he has had his bike professionally fitted. So the OP wants to work on back exercises. OK. Nothing wrong with getting stronger, but are we sure the fit is correct?

I did catch one suggestion to get your back flatter. I had a similar thread just a couple weeks ago and posted a pic taken during my last triathlon. Several members told me my reach was too far so I adjusted my bars to bring my reach much closer. That also resulted in more arch in my back. What I can say is that I have noticed significant reduction in the amount of back strain bringing that reach closer and riding with more arch in the back. I think it has to do with the way the lower back muscles are used now as opposed to when my back was straighter.

Just my personal observation.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-18-22, 06:01 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
My thread for reference: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ger-rides.html

Now here's a "before" pic

And here's an "after" pic:

Obviously, the "after" pic was staged as I was taking the pic myself with a selfie cam set up, so it lacks the organic-ness of the "before" pic. And it may be subtle, but I can definitely feel my reach is much closer (compare elbow to knee distances) and I have more arch in the back. I think what's happening here is that with the lower part of my back being a bit more vertical where the muscles originate, the work is more natural. In the "before" position, I was trying to get more tucked and flatter, but nobody walks or runs bent over at 90*. That makes for a very odd and strained muscle function.

Just food for thought.
Old 08-18-22, 10:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
My thread for reference: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ger-rides.html

Now here's a "before" pic

And here's an "after" pic:

Obviously, the "after" pic was staged as I was taking the pic myself with a selfie cam set up, so it lacks the organic-ness of the "before" pic. And it may be subtle, but I can definitely feel my reach is much closer (compare elbow to knee distances) and I have more arch in the back. I think what's happening here is that with the lower part of my back being a bit more vertical where the muscles originate, the work is more natural. In the "before" position, I was trying to get more tucked and flatter, but nobody walks or runs bent over at 90*. That makes for a very odd and strained muscle function.

Just food for thought.
Way worse. The short reach, hunched back thing is BS. The main thing to to be as low as possible while still being able to belly breathe. That means an essentially straight back, long reach. And for TT, a forward saddle position coupled with a high saddle to reduce knee/chest interference. It's not complicated. The increased turtle-ing of your head is good. You're trying to reduce the swept area, so really the measurement from the top of your head to the ground, as much as possible without inhibiting breathings. Have someone help you with a tape measure.
Old 08-18-22, 11:30 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Waiting for the doctors to comment how bones work without muscles.
Edited for clarity: How can bones work without muscles?
Perhaps this will help clarify my statement:

If you're standing, try bending forward and down as low as you can while keeping your knees straight and close together (lady in the picture below). Try to get as low as you can.

At some point, you hit a limit and you can't get low anymore, Even if you completely relax your whole body and relax all your muscles, you can't get further down. What's supporting your body weight in that position is your leg bones, spine, and also your calves, hamstrings, and core muscles keeping those bones from bending further under tension in a relaxed state.

Because the core muscles is in relaxed state in that posture, it's not doing any work. If it's not doing any work, it won't get sore and no lower back pain unless you're not used to that position. All it takes is training in that posture to get used to it.

Many, if not, most pro cyclists assume the same lower back arch to support upper body weigh to unload the arms with minimal core muscle effort, to avoid lower back pain. And if you're only making very little or even unnoticeable effort to support your upper body weight, then it also improves riding comfort.

Ofc, the bones alone cannot support your body posture or upperbody weight, the muscles are still employed but in the relaxed state, with little to no workload.

Last edited by koala logs; 08-19-22 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 05:42 AM
yabba235

Bikes: Vanhawk, belt drive, Alfine11 di2, sram apex hrd, madone handlebar and custom infinity-style saddle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Perhaps this will help clarify my statement:

If you're standing, try bending forward and down as low as you can while keeping your knees straight and close together (lady in the picture below). Try to get as low as you can.

At some point, you hit a limit and you can't get low anymore, Even if you completely relax your whole body and relax all your muscles, you can't get further down. What's supporting your body weight in that position is your leg bones, spine, and also your calves, hamstrings, and core muscles keeping those bones from bending further under tension in a relaxed state.

Because the core muscles is in relaxed state in that posture, it's not doing any work. If it's not doing any work, it won't get sore and no lower back pain unless you're not used to that position. All it takes is training in that posture to get used to it.

Many, if not, most pro cyclists assume the same lower back arch to support upper body weigh to unload the arms with minimal core muscle effort, to avoid lower back pain. And if you're only making very little or even unnoticeable effort to support your upper body weight, then it also improves riding comfort.

Ofc, the bones alone cannot support your body posture or upperbody weight, the muscles are still employed but in the relaxed state, with little to no workload.
Thank you very much for the clear explanation of the position on the bike - I have back problems myself and I know how it can interfere with the joy of cycling
Old 04-13-23, 06:21 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
If you’re riding 2-3 hrs daily, could it just be that you need a day or two off to rest? A good night’s sleep (or two) and a day of loafing about does wonders for my soreness.

Personally, I have a sore back after my second ‘real’ ride of the season yesterday. But I haven’t done more than a handful of miles since last October, so I’m pretty sure my back just needs to loosen up/readjust. My bike hasn’t caused me any major discomfort the last three years, and I’m more or less the same (+/- a few lbs… usually + each year…), so that’s what I’ll attribute it to. Sounds like you’re somewhere where you’ve been able to ride all winter tho, so maybe not the same concern for you.