Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So I ditched 85g butyl for 35g TPU inner tubes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So I ditched 85g butyl for 35g TPU inner tubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 10:49 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
So with that out of the way, on to the test results: I can't claim to perceive a difference even if you'd pay me in a lifetime supply of plastic to describe the new 'road feel' and 'acceleration boost'. My average speed was slightly up, but then again I think I had two fewer dog leashes than usual stretched across the river bike path on this careful test run.

Now I am curious - who here has gone TPU, what do you have to say about it, and can we get any anecdotes regarding long term reliability?
Stiff but compliant.
Aero-solid.
Agile yet stable.

That about does it.
Old 03-27-22, 09:47 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
In the event of a puncture, a Latex tube can sometimes be a real pain to install by the roadside. You have to be far more careful than when just whacking in a regular butyl tube. Just something to consider.

I run Latex tubes on my TT bike, but for the spare tube(s) I carry a Conti Race Light.
This. I run latex tubes full time on the road, but carry a butyl spare. In the rare occasion I get a puncture, I don't want to have to take the time to mount a latex carefully on the side of the road (then when I get home, I swap back to latex). FWIW, I've never had an issue mounting a latex at the house, just talc it and take a few extra minutes to make sure it's not pinched under the bead, pretty easy. Rolling resistance beats weight savings, every day, all day. But I can def see carrying a TPU tube for a spare, and I'm thinking about doing the same, just to save space in the saddle bag.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-27-22, 06:11 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
just to save space in the saddle bag.
Neither my saddle bag nor my tool bottle (the latter is what I generally use) have enough space to carry two performance butyl tubes along with the other bits. With TPU I can comfortably carry two and roadside installation is not an issue. I haven't had a flat on them yet, but just going off the initial installation at home. I think they are ideal for spares no matter what primary tube (or no-tube) is run.
Likes For yaw:
Old 08-17-22, 03:34 PM
BobG063

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So light you can pack two in place of one butyl

I can now carry two spare TPU tubes instead of one butyl which can get me home in a pinch. I also carry one TPU, one C02 and a tire lever as my race repair kit.
Old 04-01-24, 08:54 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think the ribbed latex ones give a more pleasurable ride experience.
I am late to the game…but I am still waiting for lambskin tubes.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 04-01-24, 12:39 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Two years later and I now have TPU on several bikes. Paired with nice 23-25mm open clinchers, it almost feels like nothing at all.
Old 04-01-24, 12:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
it almost feels like nothing at all.
Wait, are you sure you're using these right?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-01-24, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
They roll up very small, I think. I have a Michelin ultra light butyl, folded into a long oval that's the length of my small saddle bag, so it packs efficiently.

Saddle bag wear
I've seen two saddle bag spares that went flat soon after replacing a punctured tire. They had been in the saddle bag for many months or years, and the folded edge got enough wear to make it a weak point. The hole was like a snakebite slit, but all rough and abraded along the edge of the slit.

I wrap my spare in a piece of Tyvek from an old overnight envelope to protect it. (It's been in there a couple of years now.)
Well, there's your problem! You're not riding through enough broken bottles on the roadside!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-02-24, 05:51 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
my wife would argue latex does not make me faster.

Have not tried TPU tubes yet. Don’t care for aliexpress and my local shops want 30 bucks for one tube. Honestly would like to make my emonda and madone tubeless. Havnt decided yet.
Old 04-02-24, 08:43 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
The Park Tool self-adhesive patches have worked well on my Pirelli P-Zero TPU tubes. I didn't use any alcohol, but did rough up the tube with the little sandpaper square Park gives you.
My experience with TPU has been fine so far.
Old 04-02-24, 09:27 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Rene Herse Cycles claims that a lot of the slow leakage of the TPU tubes is due to plastic stems that deforms when the metal valve core gets screwed in leading to space and thus leakage. Of course, that's because they're coming out with a line of (slightly heavier) TPU tubes with metal stems.

Old 04-03-24, 12:07 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've been thinking about buying a Tubolito as an emergency back-up spare (I run tubeless) simply because they are lighter and less bulky than butyl tubes. Relatively expensive though for something I will probably never use!
I have a Tubolito for emergency for my tubeless tires in case of sidewall or non-plug able offenses. Takes next to no room in saddle bag.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-03-24, 04:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have a Tubolito for emergency for my tubeless tires in case of sidewall or non-plug able offenses. Takes next to no room in saddle bag.
On the flip side, it seems that you're not supposed to use CO2 cartridges with TPU, so in an emergency you're back to old-school having to use and bring a pump. And since you're tubeless especially, the pump is going to be a really seldom-needed item.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-03-24, 05:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
On the flip side, it seems that you're not supposed to use CO2 cartridges with TPU, so in an emergency you're back to old-school having to use and bring a pump.
Tubulito says you can:
https://www.tubolito.com/faq/
Where people claim there is a problem it is either the quick burst on initial inflation or the quicker bleed down over time. The former can be avoided with some care if your inflator has a decent trigger valve and the latter isn't a huge deal.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-03-24, 09:41 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
I have been running RideNow 36g and even 19g TPU tubes for 2 years now with two flats and one that had a defective valve. At sub $12 now via Amazon per tube, I am not sure why you would pay up for a Tubolito at like $30 and I am not sure why you would run latex since these are heavier, larger, and cost as much as a Tubolito plus the rolling resistance data doesn't really matter at 15mph or greater and the ride quality can be adjusted via running lower pressures and or using larger tires. I can run two spare TPU tubes in a tiny .41L Silca saddle bag. The tubes save so much space I have room for an electronic portable pump, patch kits, two coin cell batteries, an SRAM AXS battery, and a multitool.
Old 04-03-24, 09:47 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
I would suggest getting a small portable hand pump but I personally use a portable mini electric pump that fits right into my saddle bag with two TPU spares and a bunch of other stuff

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 04-03-24, 05:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Jrasero
I would suggest getting a small portable hand pump but I personally use a portable mini electric pump that fits right into my saddle bag with two TPU spares and a bunch of other stuff

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
So get the tiny TPU tubes but throw a pump in your pocket?
Old 04-03-24, 05:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Where people claim there is a problem [with inflating TPU with CO₂] it is either the quick burst on initial inflation or the quicker bleed down over time. The former can be avoided with some care if your inflator has a decent trigger valve and the latter isn't a huge deal.
I don't know why there would be a problem inflating TPU with CO₂. If it inflates butyl and latex fine, why not TPU?

Single datum: I have inflated TPU with CO₂ on the roadside, and nothing asploded.

Old 04-03-24, 05:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don't know why there would be a problem inflating TPU with CO₂. If it inflates butyl and latex fine, why not TPU?

Single datum: I have inflated TPU with CO₂ on the roadside, and nothing asploded.
No idea, but saw this: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...3&postcount=65
Old 04-03-24, 05:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
"The high pressure and cold temperature (as the CO2 expands) can split the tubes."

Ah yes, a cold blast of CO₂ also can freeze butyl tubes, causing them to burst at the valve stem. Ask me how I know.

Old 04-03-24, 06:24 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
So maybe it is a good idea to tak it a little slow when filling with co2, but as mentioned above at least one brand blesses co2 with no caveate.
Old 04-04-24, 04:17 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
my wife would argue latex does not make me faster.
This is a tubeless situation my friend.
Old 04-04-24, 06:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think it's time to declare myself an old curmudgeon. I've tried lots of new stuff, but I plan to stick with carrying a pump and using butyl inner tubes for the rest of my life.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-04-24, 09:59 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
I’ve ridden on 700x28 Conti GP5000 tires with 36g RideNow TPU tubes for about 8 months now. No complaints. This setup replaced heavier tires and butyl tubes for a total weight savings of 230 grams. Maybe placebo but it feels like there is less force required at the pedal during acceleration.
Old 04-04-24, 10:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
I’ve ridden on 700x28 Conti GP5000 tires with 36g RideNow TPU tubes for about 8 months now. No complaints. This setup replaced heavier tires and butyl tubes for a total weight savings of 230 grams. Maybe placebo but it feels like there is less force required at the pedal during acceleration.
What you are probably feeling is less rolling resistance on your GP5000 tyres. What heavier tyres did they replace?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.