Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waterproof shoes/boots recommandations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 05:45 AM
rouliroulan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I bought a Tern GSD S10 LX cargo bike last november and I ride it everyday since. Best decision I've made in a while! I've spent last winter bike commuting in my Danner insulated boots with absolutely no problem (in Quebec City, Canada). For spring, summer and fall, I'm looking for boots or shoes that are well made and that I'll wear for many years. I'll have to face some rainpours, for sure.

Any advices or recommandations? Thanks a ton!
Old 04-11-22, 07:25 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
If you're commuting in a downpour, be prepare to have wet feet. There's really no way to get around that. Water will get into you boots/shoes one way or another, sooner or later. Your boot might be waterproof, but the water will go down your pant leg and get into your boots from the top. Waterproof pants with the cuff over the top of boots will keep this from happening, but if you're riding far or if it's hot, then you'll sweat, and getting wet from the inside out is just as uncomfortable as outside in.

For warm weather raining commutes, I am going with a pair of SPD sandals. Might just be the thing. They'll dry quickly for the ride home. I figure if you can't beat them, join them. For cooler downpours, well, I'm prepared to get wet shoes.:/
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 04-11-22, 07:35 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
You can't avoid it. Wear sandals or footwear that will drain and quick drying socks and carry spare socks. If it's cold, wear wool socks.

For a cheap solution, wear a plastic bag over your socks before slipping into your runners.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-11-22 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-11-22, 07:48 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Fizik Artica -
Fizik R5 Artica Road Shoes | Jenson USA

I normally wear a 44 cycling shoe, Ordered a 45 to compensate for thicker socks, then read that Fizik makes adjustments for 'winter' riding. When they arrived I was glad I sized up. Have used them 2 years in Seattle's wet winter. Durable outer. Very satisfied overall. Only minor niggle would be that the zipper is a bit hard to close just over the top of my foot; the pull cord to tighten the inner liner runs across that spot.

edit: I should point out these are not shoes for super cold conditions, but for a Canadian spring/fall wetness it might be ideal. $149 at Jenson. Check for better deals as we move away from cold&wet.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-11-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-12-22, 09:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
Do not recommend Velotoze over-shoe covers. Both feet were soaked in a downpour but my bike was un-fendered. Beside they are a royal PITA to put on. Don’t know how much of a difference fenders would make.

Old 04-12-22, 09:44 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I commutted in the rain and snow slush for a few winters and settled on breathable rain pants and jacket but for feet I didn’t bother with waterproof shoes or boots. I used waterproof breathable socks over wool socks then whatever shoe or sandle that felt comfortable. That way water splashing up and pouring down didn’t penetrate to my skin. The pants overlapped the top of the socks. Often rode in ice slush.
When I arrived at work I had dry shoes there and put my wet shoes in front of a fan to dry out.. I’d take the waterproof socks off to dry and my wool socks were dry for the dry shoes. Wet shoes and dry feet beats wet shoes and wet feet.
Old 04-13-22, 05:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Here ya go... maybe:

https://www.gripgrab.com/collections...-shoe-covers-2
Old 04-13-22, 08:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw - these have worked out well for me this winter replacing a heavier boot. now that it is warmer, I'm using light hikers
the heavy ones. insulated & waterproof, indestructible

the new lighter ones, insulated & waterproof, so far so good

Columbia Men's Firecamp Boot Hiking Shoe

light hikers (not waterproof or insulated)

Columbia Men's Lakeview II Low Shoe, Breathable, High-Traction Grip

I had these for a while but I think I wore them out at my 2nd job
Columbia Men's Firecamp Iii Waterproof Hiking Shoe

good luck w/ your quest!
Old 04-15-22, 10:39 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Here you go. Also comes in insulated and steel toe if needed. Also in ankle length. I have several pairs of each.

Fishing Boots & Deck Shoes for Men & Women | XTRATUF
Old 04-15-22, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would go with something that drains easily or go with some SealSkinz socks, that is what I carry with me and if it rains I throw them on and yeah shoes might get wet but my feet generally stay dry. Even my waterproof shoes can get wet easily in the rain for falling stuff so having the waterproof socks helps as they generally have grippy material at the top to prevent leakage.