Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for rigid 27.5 v brake fork

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-04-22, 02:59 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts

I must be looking for a rare thing as everything seems to be disc, suspension or cheapest 26” fork.
I’d like to replace the front fork on a State Klunker coaster brake bike with a a v brake fork, preferably curved blades but not necessary. Maybe custom is necessary. Anyway if folks know of a 420 mm axle to crown, 1 1 1/8” steerer, w v brake posts for 27.5/650B w room for 2.8” tire I’d appreciate it. Or a builder who can make one.
Old 05-04-22, 04:03 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
That's gonna be tough. I assume quick release?

Keep in mind that at 2.8" you're dealing with a "27.5-plus" tire, so a standard 27.5" fork may not work, even if you find one.

Waltworks can make whatever you want for $500.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-04-22 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 06:00 PM
LeeG

thx, yeah qr, the present fork can fit a 2.6 and I installed a caliper brake but the braking and leverage is poor.
Old 05-05-22, 01:55 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I think you need to go full custom if you want exactly what you want. Most framebuilders could sort this out. They might also offer to braze on canti bosses onto the stock fork and repaint--may or may not be cheaper. You could also buy something with appropriate dimensions but with bosses for 26" wheels and use Paul Motolite brakes--but they're so expensive the custom fork might actually be cheaper.

If you want a good solution at a sane price, just get a 26" fork with appropriate dimensions and a disc.
Old 05-05-22, 05:31 AM
LeeG

Originally Posted by cpach
I think you need to go full custom if you want exactly what you want. Most framebuilders could sort this out. They might also offer to braze on canti bosses onto the stock fork and repaint--may or may not be cheaper. You could also buy something with appropriate dimensions but with bosses for 26" wheels and use Paul Motolite brakes--but they're so expensive the custom fork might actually be cheaper.

If you want a good solution at a sane price, just get a 26" fork with appropriate dimensions and a disc.
I’m trying to stick with the original wheels and combos of parts I already have. It looks like a 29er Ogre fork and Quality Wheels mtn rim brake wheel could work with an inch extra fork length is a consideration. Haven’t explored disc wheel options but with a 27.5 rear wheel a 26” front seems odd. Either way it looks like a custom fork for 27.5 rim brake or cheap to decent in 26”/29”
Old 05-05-22, 07:39 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
You could use a 700C or 29er fork with 650B wheels, and go F discs and R Vs.
Old 05-05-22, 07:52 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
thx, yeah qr, the present fork can fit a 2.6 and I installed a caliper brake but the braking and leverage is poor.
I imagine your existing front brake lever is long pull unless you got a lever to go with the caliper, this would make for poor braking, and long reach calipers don't really brake all that well even with the proper short pull lever.

Remember if you go with a disc fork, you don't need to worry about wheel size so much. Just proper steerer, dropouts to go with axle, desired tire clearance and approximate ATC.