Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi 1976 Rekord 746… why this weird model number???

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-17-22, 05:06 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts

Hi,
Currently looking at this Bianchi Rekord 746. In the photos it seems in excellent condition and with all the original equipment, it is said to have been used very little and to be from '75 or '76.

I checked the many discussions here in the forum and catalogs confirming the model, but a doubt remains. If the head tube serial number 6A0xxxx seems to be consistent with a 1976 product, the model number on the head tube sticker is not 00.4.23 as it should be as per the catalogs or all the examples found, but it rather is 00.4.32, which I can't find anywhere else. Also, rear dropouts are Gipiemme instead of Bianchi.

Any idea anyone? T-Mar and Bianchigirll maybe?

Many thanks.

Old 08-17-22, 06:11 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
It’s about one mach slower than a 747.
Old 08-17-22, 10:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...not sure what you're asking, but the "Rekord" designation was used by Bianchi in various years, designating various bikes, with various configurations. If you do a Google search using "Bianchi Rekord" as your terms. you'll see some of them. Not the top of the line bike, but pretty good. Usually competitively priced.
Old 08-18-22, 03:21 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...not sure what you're asking, but the "Rekord" designation was used by Bianchi in various years, designating various bikes, with various configurations. If you do a Google search using "Bianchi Rekord" as your terms. you'll see some of them. Not the top of the line bike, but pretty good. Usually competitively priced.
Thank you 3alarmer! To be sure, I extensively searched the web before coming here. I can position the Rekord models in the seventies vs the high end ones. This Rekord 746 seems to have all the right specs described in the ‘78 catalog. With one exception, the model number. Everywhere I look, it should be 00.4.23, the catalog confirms, all other examples on the net confirm. Nevertheless, the one pictured here has 00.4.32, this is what puzzled me and what I’m asking is if someone has ever seen it and what does it mean. Ok, I know, catalogs are not real life, and Bianchi model numbers’ logic isn’t clear (attempts here and here, I even found a German catalog with completely different numbers, where the Rekord 746 is 00.62.00). But nowhere I can find the 32, is it a typo for 23? A designation for a variant or sub-model? Maybe due to that Gipiemme dropout quite unusual?
As per the value, yes they should be available at competitive prices, but there’s a lot of speculation on lower end models too, a shame.
Old 08-18-22, 07:19 PM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 37 Posts
Looks like a nice old Bianchi. Bet she rides really well regardless of model.
Old 08-18-22, 08:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by JackJohn
Thank you 3alarmer! To be sure, I extensively searched the web before coming here. I can position the Rekord models in the seventies vs the high end ones. This Rekord 746 seems to have all the right specs described in the ‘78 catalog. With one exception, the model number. Everywhere I look, it should be 00.4.23, the catalog confirms, all other examples on the net confirm. Nevertheless, the one pictured here has 00.4.32, this is what puzzled me and what I’m asking is if someone has ever seen it and what does it mean. Ok, I know, catalogs are not real life, and Bianchi model numbers’ logic isn’t clear (attempts here and here, I even found a German catalog with completely different numbers, where the Rekord 746 is 00.62.00). But nowhere I can find the 32, is it a typo for 23? A designation for a variant or sub-model? Maybe due to that Gipiemme dropout quite unusual?
As per the value, yes they should be available at competitive prices, but there’s a lot of speculation on lower end models too, a shame.

...I honestly have zero idea of what that tag on the head tube references. Sorry. I do know that the various Rekord models available in the US were different from the Euro lineup. But you already know this. The only reason i know at all is because I once spent a couple of hours on the internet trying to figure out one I bought here. Then I gave up.

Old 08-18-22, 08:33 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Fwiw, I had several Bianchis in the 80s and 90s, Columbus CroMor and SBX frames, and none of them had that label on the head tube.
Old 08-19-22, 03:57 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Fwiw, I had several Bianchis in the 80s and 90s, Columbus CroMor and SBX frames, and none of them had that label on the head tube.
yeah, apparently it was a 70s thing…
Old 08-19-22, 04:02 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I honestly have zero idea of what that tag on the head tube references. Sorry. I do know that the various Rekord models available in the US were different from the Euro lineup. But you already know this. The only reason i know at all is because I once spent a couple of hours on the internet trying to figure out one I bought here. Then I gave up.
No pb. Indeed research is quite time consuming and requires patience, but I guess I enjoy it. Then at a certain point you can’t go further and ask C&V ;-)

Bianchi experts please?