Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2022 Escape 3 Disc vs 2018 Cannondale Quick 4

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 12:32 PM
freddyfazbear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm new to bikes and looking to commute 14mi daily on relatively flat terrain. I'm looking at two used options, first is a like-new 2022 Giant Escape Disc 3 with microshift shifters instead of Shimano for $450. Second is a lightly used Cannondale Quick 4 2018 for $400. Additionally, I thought about buying a Priority Ace of Clubs for $570 and building it at home for the easy to maintain belt drive, though something tells me it's not a good idea... I'm lost so any insight at all would be very much appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-18-22, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
If someone held a gun to my head I would pick the Crackandfail because it has slightly better parts.

The Priority would be a good choice for a easy to maintain single speed and if you order through Beeline a local shop could potentially build it for you or if nothing else just have them ship it to you and then go to your local shop for building. I would probably go for the Brilliant L Train 8 speed with disc brakes if I was looking for cheap and reliable long term geared bike with a belt. Probably a Continuum Onyx if I was going to be using it often for commuting and if I really could swing it the 600 with the Pinion is really neat.

Make sure whatever bike you get fits well and has decent parts. Tourney is never something I would want on a commuter bike or any bike I am riding more than once and blue moon. For commuting I want the most reliable parts I can get. Saving a tiny bit of money at the front to get a less reliable bike doesn't make sense. The belt drives do make sense and with an Alfine or better yet an Enviolo hub for low to no maintenance is a good option. Plus with things like dynamo hubs for power when you pedal for lights can be a bit costly but in the end I don't need to charge lights or replace lights and I have lights during the day for extra safety.
Old 08-18-22, 08:47 PM
theapodan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It sounds like you are interested in a flat bar hybrid bike. I've got a Jamis coda that I'd have no qualms commuting on 14 miles 5 days a week although on flat terrain you'll make better speed with a road bike with drop bars and that's what I use now to commute. A Jamis aurora touring bike. Carries groceries well, too.
Old 08-18-22, 08:56 PM
freddyfazbear

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't mind single speed, down for a workout and my budget is pretty tight so can't do other priorities. Would the priority be worth the extra cost over the cannondale for low maintenance? Don't know a lot about priority or how their parts compare to mainstream brands like cannondale. thanks for the reply
Old 08-18-22, 08:58 PM
freddyfazbear

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah I am more geared towards flat bars and don't really mind the speed loss. I'll check out the jamis though.
Old 08-19-22, 12:24 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
I'd go for whichever fits best.

The Giant is 4 years newer and you get disc brakes instead of rim, and the 7 speed will be easier to maintain than the 9 speed.
The Cannondale does have a carbon fork vs the Giants steel though.

So if it's for all weather use and/or hilly, I'd go for the Giant. If you want smoothness over everything then the Cannondale.

Personally, I'd take the Giant.
Old 08-19-22, 10:30 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
agree with above recommendation - go with the bike you feel fits better

but without getting a good look at them - I rate the Cannondale above the Giant due to the carbon fork ... the Giant has a steel fork ('high tensile' - not CrMo ?) ... Cannondale 9 spd vs Giant 7 spd ... and Cannondale has the more current/contemporary cockpit etc - 31.8 stem/bar vs the Giant 25.4 (according to specs ?)

( the Cannondale might weigh 2 or 3 lbs less ? )

the Giant has disc brakes and that can be a plus - especially in inclement weather - but low end disc brakes are often not a plus compared to caliper or V brakes (or even cantis ?)

Last edited by t2p; 08-19-22 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-19-22, 11:26 AM
freddyfazbear

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I’m going to go try out the cannondale tonight, see how it feels, and if I think I can do better I’ll try the giant out another day. Much appreciated!
Likes For freddyfazbear:
Old 08-19-22, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by freddyfazbear
I don't mind single speed, down for a workout and my budget is pretty tight so can't do other priorities. Would the priority be worth the extra cost over the cannondale for low maintenance? Don't know a lot about priority or how their parts compare to mainstream brands like cannondale. thanks for the reply
Yes a belt driven single speed is super low maintenance. If you don't mind it go for it. With a belt drive you don't have to do any maintenance on the belt and with no gears there is no derailleurs or shifting to deal with. The loose ball bearings on the Clubs is not the most ideal but not bad. Plus with the belt I really don't need to replace it as often as a chain so I will probably get 1 belt for 8-20 chains which is several hundred dollars right there and potentially more (not including the cost of lube and such. Plus I get the warranty of Gates on my side which is pretty good. They replaced a belt for me after 2600 miles after it broke in a crash which was nice and above and beyond.

If you are on a tight budget then spending more on the bike makes the most sense. Having to spend a lot of money post sale sucks and is not worth it and if I can spend more at the front end to spend a whole lot less on the back end I would rather do that.