Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you upgrade tires first or saddle?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-02-21, 10:56 AM
djdelarosa25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Say you have an entry-level road bike with 25 mm tires. The roads you ride on are pretty harsh and the saddle is meh but you could do better. If you're strapped for cash, do you upgrade to wider tires first before they wear out or go buy a better saddle for you and wear out your current pair first?
Old 05-02-21, 11:09 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
Say you have an entry-level road bike with 25 mm tires. The roads you ride on are pretty harsh and the saddle is meh but you could do better. If you're strapped for cash, do you upgrade to wider tires first before they wear out or go buy a better saddle for you and wear out your current pair first?
a saddle’s not really a major suspension component, like tires, but saddle comfort makes or breaks a bike. If your saddle’s comfortable, then tires, if not, then a better-fitting saddle is a high-priority “must”.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-02-21, 11:13 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Comfortable saddle selection is a multi year process, and that crap OEM saddle just might happen to fit your anatomy perfectly.

Tires.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-02-21, 11:49 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 742 Posts
I always simply wear tires out, then replace. Saddles are more important to me. I do prefer specific tires, but I hate throwing away a perfectly good tire. If the tire is really riding rough, check your pressure. If you are pumping them up to the max psi shown on the sidewall, you are probably over inflating.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-02-21, 12:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It will take a couple of rides to figure out if the saddle needs to be changed...The first thing I would do is to go on a few rides and try out few different adjustments before replacing anything.
Old 05-02-21, 01:06 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
djdelarosa25 , could you explain a bit more about what is wrong with your bike’s ride? What is is about your saddle that is making you uncomfortable?

Same with the tires. What brand are they and at what pressures are you running them at? Would you be willing to try latex tubes?
Old 05-02-21, 01:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
It would come down to the purpose of the bicycle. Is it primarily for fitness or for commuting? If for fitness, tires as you probably want to maximize the exercise by "standing" a lot & always wanting keep the MPH average increasing. If for commuting, seat. You'll travel more cautiously & spend most of your testosterone yelling at the headwinds, therefore, you'll appreciate a comfortable seat to rest your cheeks on.
Old 05-02-21, 02:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Haven’t you already done this thread about your tires? I distinctly recall it. This is not such a big decision – do you really need strangers to help you with it?
Old 05-02-21, 02:45 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Tyres.
Old 05-02-21, 03:02 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Comfort trumps everything and you're much more likely to get a dramatic improvement with saddle over tires. And depending on your clearances, you might be limited to 28mm which will be a very incremental improvement over 25mm.

Tire pressure adjustments cost nothing and I'd start there unless you're already at the lower limit.

This isn't a saddle thread, but I went twenty years trying difference saddles with varying results but never truly comfortable for 50+ mile rides. Then I found the one that worked for me: Serfas MX-3 Dorado. I have four of them. Some shops (and perhaps mail-order firms) will let you try five saddles at a time, returning anything that doesn't work well.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 05-02-21 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-02-21, 03:04 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Go with Tires first.

Finding the perfect saddle can take a L O N G Time.

Old 05-02-21, 03:37 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
If the padded shorts aren't cutting it then getting a better saddle is the priority.
If my butt's not feeling good the tires aren't going to make my ride better......
Old 05-02-21, 03:41 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Shorts with Thick Pads will give you Saddle Sores Big Time.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-02-21, 03:44 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
If he just got the bike his butt has not even had time to adjust to the saddle. Go for the tires.
Old 05-02-21, 04:36 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I'm thinking about my own experience and I've gone both ways. On my first bike (in 40 years) I pretty quickly replaced the saddle but rode the original tires until they wore out. On my current bike I replaced the tires after I'd had the bike about a month, but am still riding with the saddle it came with. My inclination (with little information) is to say replace the saddle first, but that's not what I did on my current bike, because I'm happy with the saddle it came with but wasn't happy with the tires.
Old 05-02-21, 09:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Haven’t you already done this thread about your tires? I distinctly recall it. This is not such a big decision – do you really need strangers to help you with it?
Here we are: you started this thread with your tire question, and then started this one. Now we've got a new twist with the saddle question, even though you haven't told us what's wrong with your current saddle.

My only question: have you actually ridden this bike enough for any of this to matter?
Old 05-03-21, 05:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd get the tires - it's not like you're throwing them away. Put them back on in the winter and save the good tires for the nicer weather.
Old 05-03-21, 07:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Whichever one is bothering you more.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-03-21, 07:22 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Comfort trumps everything and you're much more likely to get a dramatic improvement with the correct (but this is unknown) saddle over tires.

- Mark
FIFY
Tires are a relatively often-replaced consumable; someday you'll need new tires anyway, and you're not going to throw away the ones you have. The original tires can be backup spares. So, it's a bit easier to look at new tires as really not much of an upgrade. Kinda like I'd suggest also getting 3-4 tubes to put on the shelf also.

If you go the saddle route, as others have mentioned, if you just go and buy one randomly, based on whatever advice you've received, or whatever looks good, it's probably 50/50 chance it'll be better or worse than what you have. If you haven't ridden your current saddle for say at least 500 miles, and can also articulate what it is about it that's not working for you, then I wouldn't attempt a random purchase of a new one. However, if you can find a shop that does Try-before-Buying programs on saddles (eg. some shops have a Fizik program in place that lets you try their various shaped models), that would probably be best.
Old 05-03-21, 10:15 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
After riding the bicycle a few long whiles, you might find out that you wore out the tires in the process of trying to adapt to the seat. Which, it might reveal that you'll need both; Tires & seat. Time for that payday advance!
Old 05-03-21, 11:55 AM
phughes

Once again, make sure you are not over inflating your tires. Many people pump tires to the maximum pressure stated on the tire sidewall. Generally that is not the tire pressure you want, and it will result in a harsh ride. Check the correct tire pressure for your weight including the bike weight. Simply buying new tires will be a waste unless you get this part right.

https://www.cycleschinook.com/tire-pressure-calculator/
Old 05-03-21, 11:56 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Depends on how uncomfortable your saddle is. If it's VERY uncomfortable, tires wont matter. Have you done a myriad of adjustments with the saddle yet? I.e-seat hight, forward/aft, tilt.
Old 05-04-21, 04:22 AM
GaryinLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a bike off craigslist, and biked about 20 miles on it (which is a lot for me in my current fitnes level.)
I was extremely uncomfortable with literal pain in my butt due to the saddle . I vowed never to put myself through that again. If I continue to remember my lesson from this, i will never start a ride more than a few blocks using an old uncomfortable rock hard saddle again. I bought a new saddle off Amazon for $29 from China that i find to be comfortable. YMWV
Old 05-04-21, 12:13 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Some does it to reduce rolling resistance to a minimum which ironically doesn't always work as intended.

For any sort of bumpy surface, such practice would even slow you down as greater magnitude of shocks are transmitted to the frame and the rider. Our bodies is definitely not as efficient as tires in absorbing road shocks
I am aware of what some people do regarding tire pressure. I was speaking to the OP's issue of a harsh ride. Most likely his tires are over inflated. It simply one thing to check. Even putting wider tires on the bike won't help if the OP pumps the tires up to the max pressure shown on the sidewall, they will still get a harsh ride.

But hey, throw money at the problem.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-04-21, 08:18 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Agreed. But his roads are totally horrific!

I inflate my 35mm wide tires only 40 psi back and 35 psi front (below min inflation pressure!!) and the ride is still a bit harsh on those poor quality roads. The 35mm wide tires definitely made it tolerable....But there are times I wish I had even wider tires like 50mm!! If only for safety's sake as some road sections turn really technical due to erosion and many years of neglect.
Once again, completely irrelevant if he pumps the tires up to the max pressure. That is all I am saying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.