Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

NBC Gold Cycling Pass is going to Peacock Premium

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

NBC Gold Cycling Pass is going to Peacock Premium

Old 06-22-21, 10:26 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I had started a trial Peacock subscription on my iPhone, but canceled it since there seemed to be no way to stream from the phone to the TV. Then last night, the Peacock app suddenly became available right on my Samsung smart TV. I checked out it's sports offerings and was please to find Tour d France coverage starting with Stage 1 on June 26. Meaybe I'll get to watch this year's Tour after all.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 06-22-21, 11:35 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
NBC would sue Discovery Channel into oblivion--and would win. Discovery owns Eurosport. That is right--all this could be avoided if Discovery just aired Eurosport on this continent to start with--they choose not to.
NBC has held the US rights for the ASO races since before Discovery acquired Eurosport / GCN.
When the current deal comes up for renewal, maybe Discovery will bid for the US rights.
Old 06-22-21, 01:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
This article from back in January https://www.velonews.com/news/road/r...er-after-2021/

suggests that NBC owns exclusive US broadcasting rights through 2023. So I'll be interested to see what happens in 2022. Certainly either NBC will lock up it's hold on more years of broadcast rights by then or some other entity will get them.

Wonder who controls who gets the broadcast rights of the TdF, the ASO?

As far as I've found out for the 2021 TdF, most will be on NBCSN with one or two days on NBC.

If it's not there, it's not a big deal. I have alternate ways to watch it. And apparently others have that figured out too.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-22-21 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 07:32 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
NBC has held the US rights for the ASO races since before Discovery acquired Eurosport / GCN.
When the current deal comes up for renewal, maybe Discovery will bid for the US rights.
The point I was making is Discovery doesn't even bother running a sports channel in the USA. Just crappy pseudo science and reality TV. If they did, I'd think ASO would rather not get in bed with NBC for how much they make their product unwatchable and unmarketable.

Originally Posted by Iride01
This article from back in January https://www.velonews.com/news/road/r...er-after-2021/

suggests that NBC owns exclusive US broadcasting rights through 2023. So I'll be interested to see what happens in 2022. Certainly either NBC will lock up it's hold on more years of broadcast rights by then or some other entity will get them.

Wonder who controls who gets the broadcast rights of the TdF, the ASO?

As far as I've found out for the 2021 TdF, most will be on NBCSN with one or two days on NBC.

If it's not there, it's not a big deal. I have alternate ways to watch it. And apparently others have that figured out too.
ASO organized the TdF, the Paris-Nice, the Volta, the Vuelta and a few others. ASO basically is those races.
Old 06-23-21, 02:32 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
GCN is carrying the tour in other countries. I am use they will try for it next time it is up for bid’s. I think the ASO went with NBC for more exposure. Than say a streaming platform. But streaming is the thing now and the TDF has been moved to Peacock so might be better on a cycling specific platform.
Old 06-24-21, 11:47 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I signed up for Peacock this morning. After doing so, I received an e-mail with the subject: Welcome to the flock. I immediately thought "I bet that's not right", so I looked it up: "The San Diego Zoo states that a group of peafowl is called an ostentation or a pride." Sometimes also called a "Party". My confidence that Peacock can provide excellent streaming of the TdF is low.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Likes For dstrong:
Old 06-24-21, 11:51 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
I signed up for Peacock this morning. After doing so, I received an e-mail with the subject: Welcome to the flock. I immediately thought "I bet that's not right", so I looked it up: "The San Diego Zoo states that a group of peafowl is called an ostentation or a pride." Sometimes also called a "Party". My confidence that Peacock can provide excellent streaming of the TdF is low.

Awesome!!!
Old 06-24-21, 04:38 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
I can just imagine Bob Roll murdering the pronunciation of 'flock' like he does Tooor day frans
Old 06-25-21, 07:17 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 64 Posts
I watched both tours on Peacock last year with no trouble. They did replay also after race was over. I watched the non commercial version . Some times they skipped the first one third of race on very long days.
ed
Old 06-25-21, 09:04 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I can just imagine Bob Roll murdering the pronunciation of 'flock' like he does Tooor day frans
I miss that version of Bobke. Unfiltered and unrefined. I remember him referring to the Dutch along side the roads as "Schmegmies". He had a unapologetic disdain for the French, which I'm sure he still does, but doesn't express it as freely as he once did. I wish the old Bobke would appear in the broadcast every now and then.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 06-25-21, 02:02 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Does anyone know if Peacock will provide replays of stages after they are run? I don't fancy being up at 3:00 AM local time to watch the live broadcast.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 06-25-21, 04:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by bmcer
Does anyone know if Peacock will provide replays of stages after they are run? I don't fancy being up at 3:00 AM local time to watch the live broadcast.
I think that's the main purpose of Peacock, to let you stream NBC content when you want to view it.

As for the TdF and the Vuelta, I just plan to DVR the NBCSN broadcast and watch that at my leisure. Even though Peacock say cancel anytime, I just don't want the hassle. And my wife prefers the NBCSN feed anyhow instead of the other feeds NBC Gold use to do with other commentators.

Though I will miss the mapping and profile that Gold had showing where the groups and individual cyclists are on the route for the current playback position the video is at. But I think Peacock keeps that functionality too if you watch on a PC or Mac with a browser to view the stream. It had issues at times, but when it worked correctly it was nice to have.
Old 06-26-21, 05:41 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
We happen to have Comcast as our ISP, and we had Roku boxes. So I could sign up for and get Peacock without having to pay anything extra. I happen to have Peacock on this morning (I was watching the finish of the women's race before the start of the mens race at 6:00AM).

The coverage on Peacock is different from NBCSN. A couple of important differences - first there is a different set of commentators. No Phil/Bob. I didn't catch who we actually are getting.

Secondly *NO* commercials. None whatsoever. It used to be that I would program the DVR and start watching about an hour in just so I had a buffer to skip over as the commercials come up - no need for that.
Likes For ericy:
Old 06-26-21, 05:55 AM
ericy
Señor Member

We are getting Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan on Peacock.

https://twitter.com/simongerrans/sta...901592068?s=20

Not a lot of fancy graphics or virtual reality - mainly just the official feed from French TV, with rider interviews sprinkled in every once in a while.
Likes For ericy:
Old 06-26-21, 02:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by ericy

Not a lot of fancy graphics or virtual reality - mainly just the official feed from French TV, with rider interviews sprinkled in every once in a while.
Try streaming to a browser on your PC or Macbook. Go to where ever the Peacock site is and then find the TdF stage you wish to watch, live or replay.

If it's like the former NBC Gold Cycling pass, then the video will cover about 75% of your display and there'll be various types of other useful data and feeds at the right and bottom of the screen. It was neat when it work correctly. But for some reason they never added that functionality to the apps I used to watch on the TV.

Yes the commercial free feeds were not the same commentators as the commercial version. Sometimes I'd watch the NBC Gold feed on my Mac, and the NBCSN commercial feed on the TV at the same time. Some times one or the other will have more interesting commentary.
Old 06-26-21, 04:50 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Iride01
Try streaming to a browser on your PC or Macbook. Go to where ever the Peacock site is and then find the TdF stage you wish to watch, live or replay.

If it's like the former NBC Gold Cycling pass, then the video will cover about 75% of your display and there'll be various types of other useful data and feeds at the right and bottom of the screen. It was neat when it work correctly. But for some reason they never added that functionality to the apps I used to watch on the TV.

Yes the commercial free feeds were not the same commentators as the commercial version. Sometimes I'd watch the NBC Gold feed on my Mac, and the NBCSN commercial feed on the TV at the same time. Some times one or the other will have more interesting commentary.
No, none of that. Just the video feed. Most of the time the only graphics are the things in the upper left that show distance remaining and the gaps (if any).
Old 06-26-21, 06:30 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy

I bought a month of Peacock premium just for these two. Sorry GCN but these two have a great chemistry and Simon provides good insight. I did like Robbie McEwen as well when he worked with McCrossan. I feel like these two commentate more on "the moment" in any particular part of the race while the GCN guys get a little detached from it.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 06-26-21, 09:08 PM
EddyR

Like i mentioned above they have a replay to watch any time you want. I use Roku to set it up. Perfect on my tv.😍
Likes For EddyR:
Old 06-26-21, 11:51 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan are good, however, nothing replaces Phil Leggitt and Bob Roll in my opinion and NBCSN did a good job in explaining the race to more casual viewers.

I signed up for Peacock also, $5 plus I now get the WWE network. I wonder how much Olympic coverage it will have, hopefully good coverage of indoor cycling.
Old 06-26-21, 11:57 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
If I were Fox Sports (FS1 or FS2), I would bid for it, that sports network has struggled since day one. Without NBCSN though, I think the TDF isn't going to get as much for it. when the rights renew. so someone could scoop it for the cheap.
Old 06-27-21, 06:43 AM
EddyR

Phil and Bob are slill there if you want to put up with commercials. Just look in the sports and then cycling . Then pick which group of announcers you want to watch. I run both groups at same time on two devices
eddyR
Old 06-27-21, 06:08 PM
lytleric

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch replays of the NBCSN feed? With the NBC Cycling Pass, I used to be able to watch the replays when I could find the time. I've subscribed to Peacock, and I can view the replays, but was surprised to find out (as previously mentioned) it is not Phil and Bob (or Paul, Christian, and Chris). So if I want to watch with Phil and Bob as I've grown accustomed to and fond of, is my only option to watch it live? Seems like a bum deal if that's case. Why'd NBC have to ruin a good thing? I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-27-21, 07:51 PM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan are good, however, nothing replaces Phil Leggitt and Bob Roll in my opinion and NBCSN did a good job in explaining the race to more casual viewers.

I signed up for Peacock also, $5 plus I now get the WWE network. I wonder how much Olympic coverage it will have, hopefully good coverage of indoor cycling.
I loved Phil and Paul. They were the voice of my summer. Then I grew to really like Robbie and Mathew. These two guys on Peacock are good but not as amusing. But watching with no commercials is really nice. Every time I switch to NbcSn it’s a commercial. So I’ll get used to Simon and his mate because it’s a better experience when you actually just want to watch the race.
Old 06-28-21, 05:15 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
I've been watching on GCN c/o VPN but will inevitably get Peacock at some point just to hear Phil wander through the commentary.

It seems EddyR confirms what I expected: there is the Phil, Bob, & commercials NBC-ish glossy feed, and the bare bones Ant & Simon commercial free. Similar to recent pre-Peacock years. Does anyone else second that?

It also seems Peacock's navigation to the A/B feed choice is a bit elusive. Similar to PCS's choice between the routine 5 star game and the complex DSish thing.
Old 06-28-21, 07:28 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by lytleric
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch replays of the NBCSN feed? With the NBC Cycling Pass, I used to be able to watch the replays when I could find the time. I've subscribed to Peacock, and I can view the replays, but was surprised to find out (as previously mentioned) it is not Phil and Bob (or Paul, Christian, and Chris). So if I want to watch with Phil and Bob as I've grown accustomed to and fond of, is my only option to watch it live? Seems like a bum deal if that's case. Why'd NBC have to ruin a good thing? I hope I'm wrong.
Unless I missed something, it looks like the live stream is the NBC version, but the replays are the Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan version. I'm a bit annoyed at this too. I want the goofiness of the U.S. broadcast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.