Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

American Classic Seatpost: please educate me.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 11:20 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts

I'm going to check out a bike this weekend. It has an American Classic post. I've had no bikes equipped with this brand. I have read about them bending and the upper clamp not playing well with seat rails.

To all who have used them. What's your take? Can they handle <220lbs? Is the clamp going to twist up my Flite rails? Or, are they just awesome and light?

Thanks in advance for your input. Apologies, but no photos yet.
Old 08-06-21, 11:25 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I have used AC seat posts before and had good results. The clamp is not the most sturdy design I've seen but it's not horrable either. In the grand scheme of things I would not let the seat post brand be a deciding factor in the purchase decision of a bike.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 08-06-21, 11:26 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I weigh 210# and have AC's on two bikes. No issues. Gotta get the screws tight, though.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 08-06-21, 12:00 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I've got two versions of the American Classic post.
For simplicity, I've referred to one as the 1st generation and the latter one as 2nd generation. There may have been a design change somewhere else within the life, and I know that the last version underwent a huge change and looked like a candy cane.

a shot of the 1st gen and 2nd gen, showing the tops of the plates. 1st gen on the left, 2nd gen on the right.
The 1st gen uses a single piece tube and head assembly, while the 2nd gen machines a separate head which is then attached to the tube.
Both use a single bolt that clamps the two halves of the clamp assembly down to the head. The 1st gen bolt has a hemispherical brass-ish washer to allow the bolt to pivot. The 2nd gen bolt has the hemisphere machined into the bolt.
Both use a set screw to set the saddle's tilt angle. The 1st gen set screw has a flat end on it that fits into a hemispherical recess in the bottom of the plate. The 2nd gen set screw has a bevel on the end.
The lower plates both have a hemispherical recess for the set screw. The 1st gen has a lateral stiffening rib on the upper side, while the 2nd gen has a smaller one on the bottom. Both have channels for the saddle rails to sit in, but the 2nd gen has shallower channels.
The upper half of the clamp didn't change a lot between 1st and 2nd gen.

in this shot, the 1st gen is on the right, and you can see a rubber plug that seals up the hole of the tube portion.

The only issue I've experienced that that the set screw will cause a bit of deformation where it hits the lower plate. This reduces the tension on the clamp bolt, which then allows it to loosen.
The fix is to check the bolt tension regularly for the first xxx rides.

Will it handle a 220 pound rider? I'm 155 pounds, so I cannot offer any useful info on this.

I use a Brooks Swift saddle with titanium rails, and don't have any problems with bending. Not what will happen with a heavier rider.

I have 30 years of experience on these and am very happy with them. I've also heard that others have had problems. In fact, I asked for people's experiences on the I-Bob list nearly 20 years ago. Let me insert the text of the summary of that informal survey....

rider: 1 wt: 190 miles: 3000
saddle: "Brooks B17, Specialized Pro, WTB"
off -road alu or ti?: ti broken? No

rider: 2 wt:175 miles: 10000
saddle: "Flite, Terry Liberator, B17"
on-road alu or ti?: alu broken? no

rider: 3 wt: 140
post #1 miles: 50000
saddle: "Richey Vector, B17"
post #2 miles: ?? saddle: ??
off-road alu or ti?: ti broken? No
comment: post is 12 to 13 yrs old

rider: 4 wt: 170
post #1 miles: 33000
saddle: "Turbo, Lepper, asst. Brooks"
on-road alu or ti?: ti broken? no
post #2 miles: 5000
on-road alu or ti?: alu broken? No

rider: 5 wt: 170
post #1 miles: 15000
saddle: "Fizik, B17, Specialized BG Pro"
post #2 miles: 10000

rider: 6 wt: 210
post #1 miles: 10000
saddle: Fizik Pave
comment: racing.
Post #2 miles: 20000
saddle: "IscaSelle Dakar, Flite"
post #3 miles: ??
saddle: Flite
use: track alu or ti?: alu
broken? bent cradle
comment: bent at same time saddle rail broke during seated sprint

rider: 7 wt: 155
post #1 miles: 45000
saddle: Turbo, Brooks Pro and B.17
post #2 miles: 14000
saddle: B.17

That ought to be enough to either inspire many questions, or shut down discussion entirely!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-06-21, 12:15 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
AC seatposts weren't anything special, in terms of aesthetics. They are very plain, without any flutes or any other details on them like found on other sestpost. What I think they were really known for is their strength, while at the same time, being quite lightweight.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 08-06-21, 02:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have one on my 1993 Trek 5900. It appears to be version 1, per steelbikeguy 's post. I think the post is titanium, if I'm remembering Trek's specs correctly. I've mostly used it with a Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio saddle. No problems. I weigh 150 lbs.
Old 08-06-21, 02:07 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I've got two versions of the American Classic post.
For simplicity, I've referred to one as the 1st generation and the latter one as 2nd generation. There may have been a design change somewhere else within the life, and I know that the last version underwent a huge change and looked like a candy cane.

a shot of the 1st gen and 2nd gen, showing the tops of the plates. 1st gen on the left, 2nd gen on the right.
The 1st gen uses a single piece tube and head assembly, while the 2nd gen machines a separate head which is then attached to the tube.
Both use a single bolt that clamps the two halves of the clamp assembly down to the head. The 1st gen bolt has a hemispherical brass-ish washer to allow the bolt to pivot. The 2nd gen bolt has the hemisphere machined into the bolt.
Both use a set screw to set the saddle's tilt angle. The 1st gen set screw has a flat end on it that fits into a hemispherical recess in the bottom of the plate. The 2nd gen set screw has a bevel on the end.
The lower plates both have a hemispherical recess for the set screw. The 1st gen has a lateral stiffening rib on the upper side, while the 2nd gen has a smaller one on the bottom. Both have channels for the saddle rails to sit in, but the 2nd gen has shallower channels.
The upper half of the clamp didn't change a lot between 1st and 2nd gen.

in this shot, the 1st gen is on the right, and you can see a rubber plug that seals up the hole of the tube portion.

The only issue I've experienced that that the set screw will cause a bit of deformation where it hits the lower plate. This reduces the tension on the clamp bolt, which then allows it to loosen.
The fix is to check the bolt tension regularly for the first xxx rides.

Will it handle a 220 pound rider? I'm 155 pounds, so I cannot offer any useful info on this.

I use a Brooks Swift saddle with titanium rails, and don't have any problems with bending. Not what will happen with a heavier rider.

I have 30 years of experience on these and am very happy with them. I've also heard that others have had problems. In fact, I asked for people's experiences on the I-Bob list nearly 20 years ago. Let me insert the text of the summary of that informal survey....

rider: 1 wt: 190 miles: 3000
saddle: "Brooks B17, Specialized Pro, WTB"
off -road alu or ti?: ti broken? No

rider: 2 wt:175 miles: 10000
saddle: "Flite, Terry Liberator, B17"

rider: 3 wt: 140
post #1 miles: 50000
saddle: "Richey Vector, B17"
post #2 miles: ?? saddle: ??
off-road alu or ti?: ti broken? No
comment: post is 12 to 13 yrs old

rider: 4 wt: 170
post #1 miles: 33000
on-road alu or ti?: ti broken? no
post #2 miles: 5000

rider: 5 wt: 170
post #1 miles: 15000
post #2 miles: 10000

rider: 6 wt: 210
post #1 miles: 10000
saddle: Fizik Pave
comment: racing.
Post #2 miles: 20000
saddle: "IscaSelle Dakar, Flite"
post #3 miles: ??
saddle: Flite
use: track alu or ti?: alu
broken? bent cradle
comment: bent at same time saddle rail broke during seated sprint

rider: 7 wt: 155
post #1 miles: 45000
saddle: Turbo, Brooks Pro and B.17
post #2 miles: 14000
saddle: B.17

That ought to be enough to either inspire many questions, or shut down discussion entirely!

Steve in Peoria
Thanks for taking the time to post that info, Steve in Peoria. That's a great record of use!

Thanks everyone for the help. There won't be much post exposed, so there's that going for me...

I'll post photos if it happens.
Old 08-06-21, 02:14 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 882 Times in 377 Posts
Let me just say that I did crack the lower part of the clamp/cradle on a first generation post. It was the "stamped" cradle that I believe was eventually recalled. I never weighed over 142 lbs.

Last edited by gearbasher; 08-06-21 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 08-06-21, 02:22 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
In '93, I bought a C-dale T1000 for touring. The adjusting bolt (rear?) broke within a month (before trip) and the bike shop replaced it with a nice Syncros. Gary Duke (Dukes Cycle in Toronto) told me this early post was known to have this problem and AC were coming out with a revision, which they did. I was a heavy and hard rider at that time.

I have a later Ti version that I don't ride much and it's been just fine. Data points.

Last edited by clubman; 08-06-21 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 08-06-21, 03:25 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I have several in use on bikes in the fleet, mostly because they're quite lightweight and can usually be found for small money. That said, almost all have had the problem of the saddle rail bolt suddenly loosening up mid-ride. So make sure you bring a 4mm allen wrench with enough reach to get to that bolt! Actually, I usually just apply thread locker and call it a day.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-06-21, 04:26 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I have one on my 1993 Trek 5900. It appears to be version 1, per steelbikeguy 's post. I think the post is titanium, if I'm remembering Trek's specs correctly. I've mostly used it with a Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio saddle. No problems. I weigh 150 lbs.
The only Ti AC posts that I've seen are two piece - the shaft is Ti and the head is aluminum. You can see the color difference of the material in the post on this Ciöcc..

Likes For Choke:
Old 08-06-21, 04:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...fwiw, I've never experienced a problem with them, and have used them on two or three bicycles that I bought used, that came with them. And I weigh more like 240#-250#.
But I have to wonder, if you can afford a Flite saddle, even at the used prices for those, why wouldn't you just replace the post with something a little heavier and more solid ?
Old 08-06-21, 07:51 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
The only Ti AC posts that I've seen are two piece - the shaft is Ti and the head is aluminum. You can see the color difference of the material in the post on this Ciöcc..

I have no useful information to add to this thread, but...

Great Ghu, that Pelizzoli is jaw-dropping. Even next to that gorgeous Ciocc, it's a Sophia-Loren-level knockout.

And running Challenge 27s under Croce D'Aune Delta brakes, no less...

--Shannon
Old 08-06-21, 09:34 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I remember installing a bunch and never being impressed with them, found them slightly annoying. But, they usually only popped up or were installed on fairly decent bikes to begin with. Worst case, toss the post and get something better, plenty of options available for not a lot.
Old 08-06-21, 11:18 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
@steelbikeguy Thanks for the great, informative post. I wasn't aware of the 1st/2nd gen differences. Any idea when the 2nd gen was introduced?

I've used them on a few bikes--only 1st gen I believe. The lightweight was definitely a big part of the appeal of these posts BITD, but I also like the relatively sleek and unusual design. They polish up nicely, too. I'm currently using one on my Merlin with a Flite saddle, and I weigh not much less than you. That said, I also had an AC on my race bike back in the 80s, and that one did eventually needed to be replaced due to loosening and, as I vaguely recall, some issue with the tension bolt.

Is this a show your American Classic seatpost thread?
IMG_4125 by gaucho777, on Flickr
Old 08-06-21, 11:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke

Yup, mine has slightly different tones between the shaft and head, which appear to be pressed together. The seat post shaft is very thin, much thinner than a practical aluminum seat post would be.

I'll try to photograph it in daylight, where the tone differences would show better.
Old 08-06-21, 11:49 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
@steelbikeguy Thanks for the great, informative post. I wasn't aware of the 1st/2nd gen differences. Any idea when the 2nd gen was introduced?

I've used them on a few bikes--only 1st gen I believe. The lightweight was definitely a big part of the appeal of these posts BITD, but I also like the relatively sleek and unusual design. They polish up nicely, too. I'm currently using one on my Merlin with a Flite saddle, and I weigh not much less than you. That said, I also had an AC on my race bike back in the 80s, and that one did eventually needed to be replaced due to loosening and, as I vaguely recall, some issue with the tension bolt.

Is this a show your American Classic seatpost thread?
IMG_4125 by gaucho777, on Flickr
Dude, that Merlin is a time capsule. That's the OG fork, right? I remember that long crown, but forget what it was. Vitus 992? S/R Litage? And a Merlin Ti stem. And what look like Superbe Pro "hidden spring" calipers on an otherwise D/A bike.

You are an individual of discriminating taste.

--Shannon
Old 08-07-21, 12:04 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Thanks, @ShannonM The brakes are DA 7400, too, just not a great view. And yes, fork is original. As far as I can tell, the Merlin fork is nearly identical to the Tange Fusion fork on my Park Pre also from the same period.
Old 08-07-21, 02:25 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I currently have them on two bikes, both were NOS ebay finds and had another one in the 90's with a Flite saddle. Not sure which generation. I never had problems and they are my favorite design, if they were still being made it's the only post I'd buy. I like how you can remove/reinstall the saddle and don't have to readjust the tilt.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-07-21, 06:40 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
My first AC seat post was purchased around 1990 for a new frame, and is what I call a 1st gen.
The second was probably purchased in the year 2000, also for a new frame, and is what I call a 2nd gen.
I bought another around 2003, when I needed a 27.4mm post for a 753 frame.
The last was purchased around 2007 when I needed another 27.4mm post for a frame that had some work done and the seat tube got a bit over-reamed, I think. It had taken a 27.2mm prior to the work.
Both of the 27.4mm posts were of the 2nd gen style with the separate post head.

I think there might have been a version prior to my "1st gen" version, at least based on discussions in the past. I don't recall any details, though.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-07-21, 07:30 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I have two (bought used from ebay). One on the Vitus and one on my Trek. My friends in the Cambridge Vitus Club have another that sorta circulates among them. Excellent ratio of cost to lightness. They're likeable just for that. But maybe more important, the two-bolt design makes it easy-ish to adjust saddle angle in small degrees. So for me they've got everything I need: lightness, low cost, and micro-adjustment. I will be happy if they do have a reputation for breakage - that will keep them cheap on the used market.
Old 08-07-21, 08:51 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
First time I saw one was on the Pinarello I purchased. it looked low cost but after checking it out and doing a query here, I gained some respect for it. I now have two. I don't remember on which bike the second showed up. It has a black head.
I was using on on the De Rosa but replaced it with a Chorus aero post. It was too short so replaced that with a Miche.

Just weighed the following on a scale that may be in error.
Campagnolo two bolt NR - 280g
Campagnolo Chorus Aero - 250g
AC - 200g

The AC has the longest post at 220mm head to end
NR - 180
Chorus - 160 but usable distance is 95 from the Campagnolo band to the end.

So the AC is lightest and the longest post.
Old 08-08-21, 01:21 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
My first AC seat post was purchased around 1990 for a new frame, and is what I call a 1st gen.
The second was probably purchased in the year 2000, also for a new frame, and is what I call a 2nd gen.
I bought another around 2003, when I needed a 27.4mm post for a 753 frame.
The last was purchased around 2007 when I needed another 27.4mm post for a frame that had some work done and the seat tube got a bit over-reamed, I think. It had taken a 27.2mm prior to the work.
Both of the 27.4mm posts were of the 2nd gen style with the separate post head.

I think there might have been a version prior to my "1st gen" version, at least based on discussions in the past. I don't recall any details, though.

Steve in Peoria
Nice photo comparison and explanations, Steve!

Yes, there is an even earlier version with the top plate being silver and “curvy”, almost like a bare aluminum stamping rather than a machined part with paint/powder coat. I’d offer a photo, but that would require waking my wife, which would NOT be acceptable!

I’ve loved ‘em but realize that my frames (bike and body) need more setback than these. No problems, however, in over 38,000 miles with one-piece aluminum and a 2-piece TI shaft versions. I’ve never been over 180# so that data isn’t much help to the OP.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-08-21, 03:39 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 368 Posts
I've had several of them, and on two of them the bottom rail bracket had been reassembled backwards!
Instead of the angle set screw going into the dimple, the dimple was up front and the angle screw just pushed against (and put slide scratches in) the flat part.
I think that gave them a reputation for being unstable, but I liked it because the used seat posts came real cheap!

Last edited by Chuckk; 08-08-21 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-09-21, 02:09 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Alert. Here's a new take off post.

https://***********************/nos-am...lver-take-off/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.