Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Dura Ace R9200 announcement on GCN

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Dura Ace R9200 announcement on GCN

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 01:37 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
The more I think about it, the less I can believe 12s Ultegra or even DA will be/stay electronic only. Its completely contrary to what Shimano is doing in mtb groups and will leave a giant hole between 105 mech and ultegra DI2. Usually Shimano has options for every price point. That is assuming R8000 is not continuing parallel to R8100 DI2.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 09-01-21, 01:43 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
I am with you my brother/sister/other.

Originally Posted by popeye
No more 53/39, wut I run. I guess I was the last one.
Old 09-01-21, 02:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
If there was no market for mechanical shifting, Shimano would have killed it off completely in 105 and Tiagra, which I am pretty sure won’t happen for a long time. That they dropped two tiers at once should be a clear indicator about where they think the market is and where it is headed, and how they see themselves going forward.
I don't think Shimano will stop mech shifting, but that they might not bother with mech shifting for Dura-Ace and Ultegra, because the vast majority of sales is DI. I don't ever expect Sora or Claris or Tourney to go electronic.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-01-21, 02:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I’m snide when people make statements that skyline themselves on the ridge of not understanding how capitalism works. It’s all about choices.
Ummm .... yeah capitalism is Not in any way about choices .... it is about using capital to make more capital. The choices are made by the person with capital, who chooses what products to offer at what price point t maximize profit.

If it was all about choices, I'd be able to choose to buy 6800, or Sora DI. Shimano isn't interested in giving me choices, it is interested is selling what can be sold in a balance of production/supply cost, volume, and cost, to maximize profit.

In any case .... it's just BF. Nothing we say or do here matters all that much.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-01-21, 02:31 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It was just funny that you seemed to blame people for not consuming enough new products as the reason for us being where we are.
Shimano makes a good enough product to last for years and years without replacing the product or bike its attached to, then you blame people for not purchasing enough bikes in recent years that are rim brake or mechanical shifting.
The mild scolding was what I found funny(and odd). Based on this thread, others interpreted your post in a similar manner too.
I thought he was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Still .... no reason not to poke fun.

I didn't think he was blaming people ... I thought he was saying more, "If you want a seat at the table, when such decisions are being made, buy it, like I did."

Again .... I don't take any of this too seriously. Maybe I should use a lot more laughing emojis.

Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-01-21, 03:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ummm .... yeah capitalism is Not in any way about choices .... it is about using capital to make more capital. The choices are made by the person with capital, who chooses what products to offer at what price point t maximize profit.

If it was all about choices, I'd be able to choose to buy 6800, or Sora DI. Shimano isn't interested in giving me choices, it is interested is selling what can be sold in a balance of production/supply cost, volume, and cost, to maximize profit.

A LOT of it IS about choices, but it's about choices made, not choices offered. And the choices made by consumers in large part drive what choices are offered.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-01-21, 04:03 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I don't think Shimano will stop mech shifting, but that they might not bother with mech shifting for Dura-Ace and Ultegra, because the vast majority of sales is DI. I don't ever expect Sora or Claris or Tourney to go electronic.
Agreed...but electric may migrate (eventually) to Tiagra and 105 alongside mechanical options. Purely conjecture, but in 3-4 years, not an unreasonable possibility, either.
Old 09-01-21, 04:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
A LOT of it IS about choices, but it's about choices made, not choices offered. And the choices made by consumers in large part drive what choices are offered.
Unless you're Apple.
Old 09-01-21, 04:15 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

It is definitely about choices. Choosing to buy something sends a message, while being content with what you have because it meets all of your needs also sends a message in the sense that no message of preference is being registered. I am ONLY talking abut how we, as consumers, impact these firms. As you say their goal is to take capital and make more of it, how do you think they decide to do it? Easy answer, through our choices, more specifically he ones they can measure. When we choose to be content with what we have (which is just fine), we are not making a choice they can measure. But, when we choose to buy mechanical over electronic, or rim over disc, they can measure that. That is what I am getting at. So when people bemoan the shift to all electric, or a near total shift to disc over rim, I am here to remind us all that the isn't happen because it a capricious decision, it is driven by what was bought by those who chose to buy.
Old 09-01-21, 04:17 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Unless you're Apple.
That's the impression we all have, and it has certainly been helped by the ghost of Steve J. Apple isn't dumb. They definitely take risks, and they depend heavily on "normalization," but they've definitely followed consumer preferences.
Old 09-01-21, 04:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
That's the impression we all have, and it has certainly been helped by the ghost of Steve J. Apple isn't dumb. They definitely take risks, and they depend heavily on "normalization," but they've definitely followed consumer preferences.
Perhaps. No removable memory card ability, or their own proprietary charging cord, or non user-replaceable batteries, or taking until generation 7 to make the phone water resistant. Plenty of things consumers would have preferred but sometimes the marketing promised pluses outweigh the negatives.
Old 09-01-21, 04:47 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Perhaps. No removable memory card ability, or their own proprietary charging cord, or non user-replaceable batteries, or taking until generation 7 to make the phone water resistant. Plenty of things consumers would have preferred but sometimes the marketing promised pluses outweigh the negatives.
Then buy an Android. Or buy Mircoshift. Or buy nothing. It all sends a message, though some message are louder than others. And just because we don't get what we want, doesn't mean the company making the stuff isn't getting what it wants. Folks can complain about Shimano's two top tier groups being electronic only and focused on disc braking, but in reality, what I see here is that the folks complaining the loudest are probably not the target demographic for the new stuff, and they're quite proud of that until someone comes along and reminds them.

Just musing now....in the past Shimano's technological development strategy depended on trickle down, I'm baffled as to how this will impact subsequent generations of 105 and Tiagra. Maybe the magic of Shimano shifting was never in the actual mechanical operation of their drivetrains (save the groundbreaking index shifting when they introduced it). Maybe it isn how the chain and cogs interface. If that is so, the new HG+ is a bigger deal than the electronic shifting or 12 cogs vice 11 now. And, once that tech tickles down, 105 and Tiagra get even smoother than they already are, get quieter, and probably get a touch lighter.
Old 09-01-21, 04:49 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
No laptop screen that opens more than 120 degrees, either.
Old 09-01-21, 05:41 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
The more I think about it, the less I can believe 12s Ultegra or even DA will be/stay electronic only. Its completely contrary to what Shimano is doing in mtb groups and will leave a giant hole between 105 mech and ultegra DI2. Usually Shimano has options for every price point. That is assuming R8000 is not continuing parallel to R8100 DI2.
Yeah it's a surprise to me. Yes, the latest 105 mechanical is pretty sweet, but there still must be a sizeable market for people who want "classic" high end mechanical groupsets. Bikes without internal wiring options? Or are all these people already on Campag? 😂

Either way I'm sure the accountants have run the numbers and decided what is the most profitable route.

Maybe Shimano will continue mechanical Dura Ace or Ultegra groupsets into the future, but just in 11-speed guise? Who knows...
Old 09-01-21, 05:59 PM
Maelochs

The bike market changes .... it has changed markedly several times in my lifetime. What Shimano has been doing successfully since somewhere in the '90s might not be the best course in the 2020s. As people say, they will crunch the numbers, make their predictions, and sell whatever they think will make them the most money over whatever time frame.

Who knows how Covid has changed their plans? Pretty sure bike sales are down due to lack of inventory, and pretty sure manufacturing hasn't ramped up yet .... is Shimano still waiting on all payment for all those tens of thousands of low-end group sets they sell to big box store bike makers in China? Apparently it might be hard to get the new 12-speed stuff .... will that slow introduction of other updates? Obviously the Choices we make as consumers aren't driving this, as we are not yet allowed to choose to buy the stuff .....

Whatever. I doubt I will ever ride a 12-speed or a DI-equipped bike. Not even sure I will ever buy another bike---I already have enough bikes that can perform way better than I can, and buying the latest Greatest won't change how much of that potential is wasted by me.

It sure is fun to kick stuff around on BF after a pleasant rain ride, though.
Old 09-01-21, 06:18 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I bet I’ll be replacing my mechanical rim brake 11 speed Dura Ace groupset in 10 years with 11 speed Claris.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 09-01-21, 06:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
People say that, but I can't imagine better shifting than I get with 7800 shifters and RD, and a 7400 FD. Honestly, I DON'T get better shifting on R7000 105 than I get on much older DA.

Then again, I haven't tried Di2. Probably shouldn't, unless I win the lottery.
In terms of rear shifting, the generation containing 7800 was a high point and there was a definite step back with the next generation, when they went under the bar tape - a little higher effort, a little more vague in feel, to me. I think that it's gotten better and better since, though. IME, which started with 5600, FD performance is way better, but I never played with 10sp DA.
Old 09-01-21, 07:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
In terms of rear shifting, the generation containing 7800 was a high point and there was a definite step back with the next generation, when they went under the bar tape - a little higher effort, a little more vague in feel, to me. I think that it's gotten better and better since, though. IME, which started with 5600, FD performance is way better, but I never played with 10sp DA.
I never experienced anything but instant, silent shifting from big ring to small and back with 7400 STIs and FD. No chain drops, just *click* and it's in the other ring. Spoiled me for every other FD.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-01-21, 09:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
It is definitely about choices. Choosing to buy something sends a message, while being content with what you have because it meets all of your needs also sends a message in the sense that no message of preference is being registered. I am ONLY talking abut how we, as consumers, impact these firms. As you say their goal is to take capital and make more of it, how do you think they decide to do it? Easy answer, through our choices, more specifically he ones they can measure. When we choose to be content with what we have (which is just fine), we are not making a choice they can measure. But, when we choose to buy mechanical over electronic, or rim over disc, they can measure that. That is what I am getting at. So when people bemoan the shift to all electric, or a near total shift to disc over rim, I am here to remind us all that the isn't happen because it a capricious decision, it is driven by what was bought by those who chose to buy.
There was little price difference and even less performance/quality difference between ultegra and 105. 105 became that good.
Now there is a tangible difference between Ultegra and 105 moving forward.

It's either that obvious and very real change, or its consumers speaking with their wallets, even though mechanical shifting bikes have been bought in droves over the last few years.
Old 09-02-21, 12:14 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Excellent points, I do not disagree. Perhaps a better way to look at it mstateglfr is that (a) Shimano has once again made a clear differentiation between Ultegra and 105, and moved Ultegra back closer to DA as it was not even 10 years ago, and (b) yes, lot os mechanical groups have been bought, in fact the majority of bikes being sold with Shimano have mechanical groups on them, but they are int he price range that Shimano is targeting with the new DA and Ultegra electronic shifting groups.
Old 09-02-21, 02:40 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Exciting stuff. But, until I can score a new groupset, I'm just going to sit over here and eat popcorn while the luddites bemoan that they don't want electronic shifting or disc brakes, and then tell us their 20-year old frames can't run this stuff
Or one year old frames. Damn those lowly peons. When they get some experience like us they'll realize electronic shifting and disc brakes makes you faster. And most importantly, no one will be checking out their bikes in the parking lot before the group ride. I spend thousands for that alone and I buy a new bike every 12 months.
Old 09-02-21, 04:39 AM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Excellent points, I do not disagree. Perhaps a better way to look at it mstateglfr is that (a) Shimano has once again made a clear differentiation between Ultegra and 105, and moved Ultegra back closer to DA as it was not even 10 years ago, and (b) yes, lot os mechanical groups have been bought, in fact the majority of bikes being sold with Shimano have mechanical groups on them, but they are int he price range that Shimano is targeting with the new DA and Ultegra electronic shifting groups.
I think Shimano will fill the now large price and features gap between 105 and Ultegra with something like a new, more expensive version of 105 Di2, like SRAM did with Rival AXS, or a whole new tier below Ultegra, yet to be named. Either way, I just hope they launch a mechanical version of 105 with 12 speeds, hyperglide+ and the updated disc calipers. That would be sweet, and probably the only one I could conceivably afford down the line.
Likes For Rodrigo Kenobi:
Old 09-02-21, 05:49 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Electronics are pretty simple compared to what's inside a mechanical shifter. Expect an electric 105 at the current sales point.
Old 09-02-21, 06:42 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
The more I think about it, the less I can believe 12s Ultegra or even DA will be/stay electronic only. Its completely contrary to what Shimano is doing in mtb groups...
While it's clear that most recent innovations from Shimano start with their mountain bike group sets these days, electronic shifting seems to be "a roadie thing" for some odd reason. XTR Di2 exists, but I personally don't see many bikes with it.

Perhaps one reason is that mountain bikers often adopt a 1x setup and thus can't justify the price difference to just shift the rear mech? As a roadie with a 2x Ultegra Di2 setup, the Di2 "synchro shift mode" is lovely and a HUGE advantage (to me) over mechanical group sets. I always hated shifting a mechanical group set from the large to small chain ring (and vice-versa) because of the huge jump in gear ratios and a lot of fiddling around. Di2 solves that problem so I can just focus on riding and not shifting.
Old 09-02-21, 06:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Or one year old frames. Damn those lowly peons. When they get some experience like us they'll realize electronic shifting and disc brakes makes you faster.
If you bought a frame a year ago with rim brakes and the inability to internally route/house an electronic groupset, then you went out of your way to buy out-of-(modern)-spec and that's all on you.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.