Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

New to indoor trainer - wheel cassette advice!

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 01:00 PM
Alanna156

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I’m hoping you can all help me.

I wanted to bring my bike in this winter to help with motivation. I set myself an £100 budget to do it:

So I have a ladies hybrid bike, it’s a few years old but well maintained and have recently replaced both the chain and derailleur

So far I’ve managed to get a basic smart trainer with zwift compatibility for relatively cheap second hand!

I also picked up a cheap rear wheel which matched the bike somewhat and a trainer tyre. The idea for this was so I could easily switch out the wheel over winter (especially as I have marathon plus tyres and it’s not worth the time it takes to be changing them)

However the rear wheel I picked up has a 10speed cassette on it and I ride with a 7 speed 14-34T freewheel (I think).

Can I put a 7 speed on thatw wheel? I’ve done some research so I think it needs to be a cassette and not freewheel so I can’t match the number of teeth perfectly but I don’t think that’s a big deal. I can’t keep the 10 speed on can I?

Will it work to put a 7 speed on, or should I look to do something else? Have I messed this up? Learning as I go along 😃

thank you for any help!
Old 09-29-21, 04:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
They sell 7 speed cassettes. You need a 4.5 mm spacer to make it fit.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-01-21, 06:00 AM
Alanna156

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Welcome to the forum.
They sell 7 speed cassettes. You need a 4.5 mm spacer to make it fit.
Okay, thank you! I've found one on Decathlon I think will work, I am guessing there will be a youtube video somewhere that will explain how to put a 7 seed cassette onto a 10 speed cassette wheel?
Old 10-02-21, 09:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Any youtube about changing a cassette is a good start. You need a cassette tool and a large wrench to turn it. Also some grease so it can be taken apart again. The spacer goes on first and then the cassette. Cassettes are keyed in an annoying way. I assume any cassette you buy will have loose spacers. They aren't all the same, so keep track of which order they go in. Take pictures.

Here is a video. His cassette didn't have loose spacers, which was nice. The video says it's for 8 or 9 speed hubs, but 8,9, and 10 speed cassette bodies are the same width.