Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question tire pressure

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Question tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 08:36 PM
kwekey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question tire pressure

I have a noob question about tire pressures on Tandem Bike.
When I in-flat the tires to recommended pressure, it seems that they will flatten out very slightly. I am not sure if this due to the weight of 2 person on the bike itself.
Do you usually in-flat tires beyond recommended considering the additional weight on a tandem bike?
Old 11-16-21, 11:32 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I do not. Modern thinking on tire pressure is that we have been running them too high as it is.I've been running my halfbike pressures 10lb below max. For the tandem max pressure should be fine.
Old 11-17-21, 12:04 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by kwekey
I have a noob question about tire pressures on Tandem Bike.
When I in-flat the tires to recommended pressure, it seems that they will flatten out very slightly. I am not sure if this due to the weight of 2 person on the bike itself.
Do you usually in-flat tires beyond recommended considering the additional weight on a tandem bike?
If you're thinking of the tires pooching out a little at the bottom when you climb on the bike, that's normal. It's what pneumatic tires do.

Where are you getting the "recommended pressure", though?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-21, 12:10 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I run my tires about 5-10 PSI below max tire pressure. Lately I have been using fatter tires and yes they do appear to be flattening out when viewed from above as when siting on the bicycle seat. But if viewed from the side they are not flat at all. Get someone to look closely at the tires when you are ridding to make sure.
Old 11-17-21, 12:20 AM
kwekey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you're thinking of the tires pooching out a little at the bottom when you climb on the bike, that's normal. It's what pneumatic tires do.

Where are you getting the "recommended pressure", though?
I was referring to the tire pressure printed on the tire itself.
Old 11-17-21, 12:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by kwekey
I was referring to the tire pressure printed on the tire itself.
Ah. Usually, that's not really a "recommended" pressure, but a max.

I'd suggest that if you're not getting pinch flats, or have "wallowy" steering, you probably have enough air in the tires.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-17-21, 01:03 AM
kwekey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Ah. Usually, that's not really a "recommended" pressure, but a max.

I'd suggest that if you're not getting pinch flats, or have "wallowy" steering, you probably have enough air in the tires.
Thanks Scotts
Old 11-17-21, 03:10 AM
kwekey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I run my tires about 5-10 PSI below max tire pressure. Lately I have been using fatter tires and yes they do appear to be flattening out when viewed from above as when siting on the bicycle seat. But if viewed from the side they are not flat at all. Get someone to look closely at the tires when you are ridding to make sure.
Hi, noted your advice.. TYVM
Old 11-25-21, 04:24 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
I run my 28C Continental Gatorskins, rated at 120psi at 120psi on my road tandems (aluminum and steel). You are perfectly fine running a bicycle tire at "Max" pressure, assuming industry standard parts and proper installation.

I know some road tandem teams who exceed the max pressure on the sidewall by about 20 psi. I don't do this, nor recommend it. But people do it.

However, today there's a move to much wider road tires. Avoiding harsh riding and improving comfort are the usual reasons. And several tires have been shown to have lower rolling resistance at lower than max pressures. (The historic assumption was that the higher the pressure, the lower the resistance. Not necessarily true.)

But avoiding pinch flats and rim damage should be your main concern on a tandem. Since they carry much more weight, tire pressures historically were always at the high end. But again, today's bikes with greater tire clearance allow wider tires, which require and function well with lower pressures. Better for off road performance as well.
Old 11-25-21, 06:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
they don't look like this, do they?
Old 11-25-21, 12:22 PM
New2Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
We are a 350 pound team. Running 700x32c Conti GP5000 with tubes on Spinergy wheels. Max tire pressure on the tire is 110ish. We run about 90-95 psi and haven't flatted. Bike still feels fast and has a bit more comfort due to the lower pressure over rough roads.
Old 11-25-21, 03:48 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
We also run 700X32C GP5000 but we run tubeless. Also on Spinergy wheels. Our working pressure is right at the 87 PSI listed as the maximum on the box they came in. All up with the panniers and our normal gear we are a little over 450 pounds. If the pressure drops below 75 PSI we can really feel the effort to move the bike increase.