Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should a “betweener" go with a Large or Medium frame?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-15-21, 05:28 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Hello, I am relatively new to bicycling . I ride a Bianchi Pista SS and a Giant Tough Road . Both are Large frame size . I feel like they fit well .
I measure 5 foot 9 1/2 inches at the doctors with my Nikes on so they say I am 5 10”. I may be actually 5 9.
I am about to buy another Bike. What am I missing by not choosing Frame Size M. Would Medium optimize my energy?
Thank you in Advance
Old 12-15-21, 05:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
There are too many variables involved to give a reliable answer over the internet. You should buy your next bike from a good shop that will do a proper fitting.
Old 12-15-21, 05:36 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Hello, I am relatively new to bicycling . I ride a Bianchi Pista SS and a Giant Tough Road . Both are Large frame size . I feel like they fit well .
I measure 5 foot 9 1/2 inches at the doctors with my Nikes on so they say I am 5 10”. I may be actually 5 9.
I am about to buy another Bike. What am I missing by not choosing Frame Size M. Would Medium optimize my energy?
Thank you in Advance
No one can answer than for you, without knowing what bike you are considering, and what your objectives are. When I bought my current touring bike, I went with the larger of two frame sizes the bike came in, because I wanted to keep my bars level, or slightly about the seat, without having to use a lot of spacers. If I wanted the bars lower, the smaller frame would have been the better option. That is just one criteria that can go into frame size choice.

So what kind of bike are you considering, or even better, what specific bike? Bike sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. What will you use it for?
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-15-21, 05:41 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Lookup using a book and a tape measure against a wall to get your true bicycling inseam length. And look at the specs for the length of the crank arms that come with each size. Just your height in shoes isn't a great measure for picking a bike. You should try both sizes hands on if you can.
Old 12-15-21, 05:51 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
I'm also 5'10" and frequently find myself in the same quandary. There's a trade off I believe.
The smaller frames feel a bit quicker, more nimble, better for shorter rides. The larger ones feel big, stable, and comfortable for longer distances.
You really need to have several bikes ready for each scenario.
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 12-15-21, 06:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 956 Posts
Whichever is in stock.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-15-21, 06:05 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
What does the mfg suggest for the bike you are looking at? I think most would recommend a Medium or 54cm for 5'9". That's assuming normal proportions.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-15-21, 06:17 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Whichever is in stock.
Ha ha. I actually did that in 1986. I’m just under 5’9”, probably closer to 5’8” these days, and they didn’t have 54cm so I bought the 56cm. Four years later, a shop was blowing out frames and they didn’t have a 54cm, so once again I got a 56cm.

​​​So far so good!

John
Old 12-15-21, 06:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
If you’re between sizes, always go smaller. No question…but I guess that’s not the question.

To the question, generally speaking, 5’9” sure sounds like a Medium size frame.
Old 12-15-21, 06:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
If you’re between sizes, always go smaller. No question…but I guess that’s not the question.

You can stretch a small frame with a long seat post, setback, a longer stem, longer reach bars .... you can make a frame smaller with a saw and glue.

You choose.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-15-21, 06:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You can stretch a small frame with a long seat post, setback, a longer stem, longer reach bars .... you can make a frame smaller with a saw and glue.

You choose.
Haha! Yep.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-15-21, 07:46 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Bad advice.
Old 12-15-21, 07:55 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
There can be a substantial amount of variability between one manufacturer's medium and another's. Same with large. Assuming you cannot try before you buy, you'll have to know the dimensions of a bike that works for you, and examine that against the dimension of the bike you are interested in. If you can try first, you should. Some manufacturers make a ML, so keep that in mind as well.
Old 12-15-21, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Test ride the bike that you want in both sizes and see which one feels best for you. Talk with a knowledgeable salesperson and maybe ask for recommendations as well but really it is all about your fit on whatever bike you want. Nobody on the internet can really determine much for you other than what you have told us which is very little but even if you had said I want to buy the Bike Co. BikeMaster and provided a link it would still be tough because we don't know much about your fitment to that bike only you and your fitter would really know, maybe the sales person or some shop employee with fitting knowledge. It all really comes down to you and your feelings on the bike.

If you know what you want and have some fitting issues or just want something that really fits you might consider talking with a custom builder and a fitter and really get something dialed in to you not just to the general mass public. Nothing wrong with a stock bike necessarily but a custom fit bike could be just the ticket if you know you enjoy riding and want a real upgrade.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-16-21, 01:29 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Here's the trade off and, IMHO the major decision criterion: head tube length and how high or low you want your handlebars.

There's a lot of range for saddle height and even a decent amount for setback. There's a lot of range for stem length too. So seat tube and top tube length and seat tube angle can be adjusted for quite a bit. But there's not a lot of range - either up or down - for stem height, given any stem angle. Maybe 40 mm either way (35 - 40 mm is generally the maximum spacer height under any stem).

In general, given a specific model of frame, aside from seat tube and top tube length differnces, the larger frame will have a longer head tube vs. the smaller frame. So if you're challenged to get the bars high enough for your fit and comfort, you should opt for the larger frame. If you dont have that issue and/or really need your bars as low as possible, go with the smaller one.

If you're in the middle, ride both and just feel which feels better. The smaller one might be a a little lighter and quicker feeling, the larger one, maybe more stable.

My experience is that I need my handlebars higher and opt for larger frame with a shorter stem and less saddle extension, if presented with two that might work OK. Others, especially younger and stronger, more flexible riders, would have the opposite opinion.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-16-21 at 01:51 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-16-21, 08:28 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Veganbikes is spot on.

Pay more now and reap the benefits for a lifetime.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-16-21, 10:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts

To the question, generally speaking, 5’9” sure sounds like a Medium size frame.
I disagree. It depends on your riding goals and the specific bike in question. At 6' tall I'm often in between a large and medium frame and usually go with large. Why? Because I'm primarily an endurance rider and prefer the inevitably longer wheelbase and higher stack of a larger frame size. If I was racing crits I may well choose to size down for a more aggressive position with slammed, super-long stem. But that's not how I want to ride all day.

But I totally agree at 5'9" I can't think of many Large frames that would work well. I would have thought the OP was a medium without much question.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-16-21, 03:23 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Go with the size frame that fits you best regardles of the label on the bike. Some have medium and medium-large and large and others have different amounts of reach depending on the intended use of the bike and so there are categories of bikes being sold by Trek and Specialized and other companies. It is more complicated than in the past when everything was based on the length of the seat tube.

You posture and riding position is what is important and if you cannot extend your arms properly or feel scrunched up or need to stretch to reach the controls on the handlebar then this should govern your selection and not some chart.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 12-16-21, 03:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
M and L are entirely too vague to answer the question as is 5'9". If it felt right being on the bike, it's probably right sized. I'm shorter than you are and rode several thousand very comfortable miles on a L frame FX 3.
Old 12-16-21, 03:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I disagree. It depends on your riding goals and the specific bike in question. At 6' tall I'm often in between a large and medium frame and usually go with large. Why? Because I'm primarily an endurance rider and prefer the inevitably longer wheelbase and higher stack of a larger frame size. If I was racing crits I may well choose to size down for a more aggressive position with slammed, super-long stem. But that's not how I want to ride all day.

But I totally agree at 5'9" I can't think of many Large frames that would work well. I would have thought the OP was a medium without much question.

I think if you look at the geometry of the Tough Road he's talking about, it's more than possible a large frame could work for him.
Old 12-16-21, 06:35 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
People can ride frames in a range of sizes. I have a 32.5" inseam and am 5'9" tall. I ride 54-56. Optimal for me is a 55 with a 55 TT measured virtually. This is often referred to as a "square 55."
Old 12-16-21, 08:21 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Hello, I am relatively new to bicycling [...] Would Medium optimize my energy?
Nothing will "optimize your energy". You are "relatively new to bicycling", as you stated it yourself. The concept of "optimizing your energy" does not apply to you in any way, shape or form. And it won't apply for a very, very, very long time. Possibly never, especially considering that on such an early stage you are already focusing on such woefully irrelevant things.

Even if you'll seriously get yourself involved into cycling, you'll eventually find out that there's no other way of really "optimizing your energy" than riding a lot of different bikes and finding the ones that work for you. And in many cases this synergy will not follow formal logic.

As for now, don't attempt to "optimize your energy". Get a bike that fits in a sense that it doesn't do more harm than good.
Old 12-17-21, 05:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
good luck
fastest 17 mile commute was on an old mtb w/ big fat slicks, that was too small for me
have a hybrid that is too large for me but feels quite comfortable
current mtb is correct size, feels good
current road bike is correct size, feels good
Old 12-17-21, 07:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Thank you in Advance
It is impossible to say whether you should be on a M are L. On some models you may fit a M better, on others a L.

Going to a M may mean a better fit, or it may be too small.
Old 12-21-21, 04:01 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
To the OP. I'd go by your leg length, not just your height. A lot of riders of your height have shorter legs than I do, being 3-4 inches shorter. The medium size is meaningless. In some brands, I ride a 50 or 52 and others it's S or XS. Seat tube lengths are also meaningless these days, except for a minimum to make use of a common 350mm post. You should go by stack and reach. Nearly all brands list these values. Also of importance is saddle to bar drop. I use a large 10cm saddle to bar drop, so there's a limit of about 530mm on the stack, with a 72-73cm saddle height. I look for a 365 to 380mm reach. There's a lot of adjustment available with stem length and handlebar reach. If your saddle to bar drop is less, add more stack. Taller saddle height - add some more stack.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-25-21 at 08:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.