Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tight headset

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 02:34 AM
alij2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tight headset

So, this is weird issue. I just change my bearings of my headset. They are caged bearing. I tight the start nut normal, and I noticed a tightness sensation when moving the handlebar. When I ride also I can feel it.

I loose a little and still feel it. I cannot loose more else there will be a little play. I have never experienced something like this before.

I can ride the bike but I can feel that tightness sensation too. What are the possible causes for this?
Old 01-14-22, 05:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
The upper bearing cup is probably bottoming out on the top of the frame and needs shimming for clearance. But would need to see some photos to confirm what is going on there.
Old 01-14-22, 05:48 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
POints to ponder:

Did you replace bearing with the exact same model of retainer?
Is is possible the bearings are in upside down?
Did you pull the cups out of the frame in your service of the headset?

If all else fails:
Going to a loose bearing is an option as well.

rusty
Old 01-14-22, 07:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
POints to ponder:

If all else fails:

rusty
+1, easy to do.
Old 01-14-22, 08:27 AM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
POints to ponder:

If all else fails:

rusty
Yes I replaced same model. No they are not upside down. I didn't remove bearing cup.

I am planning to go sealed cartridcartridge next month maybe. Meanwhile I will ride the bike like it is.
Old 01-14-22, 08:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

And yet you obviously did something wrong.... Maybe time for a visit to the shop?
Old 01-14-22, 08:41 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And yet you obviously did something wrong.... Maybe time for a visit to the shop?
Not necessarily. Sometimes they do need shimming. My Giant Defy needed an extra top bearing shim when it arrived from the factory. Otherwise it would rub slightly on the top of the head tube as the bearing play was taken out. Without the shim I couldn't adjust the headset properly to remove bearing freeplay without binding the steering. It just needed another 0.25 mm shim to prevent binding.
Old 01-14-22, 08:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Just saying that apparently it worked OK before he messed with it.
Old 01-14-22, 09:13 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Just saying that apparently it worked OK before he messed with it.
Yep, could be user error or just tolerances. No way of knowing with the info given.
Old 01-14-22, 09:27 AM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I forgot to add, when I got the caged bearing, it was a little bend. I tried to get it correct but not fully. Both caged bearings. Not sure if this is the cause. I will switch to cartridge bearing next month. I will keep riding meanwhile. This sucks.
Old 01-14-22, 10:05 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
C'mon OP, you've been around for a few years. This is a mechanical question and should be in 'bicycle mechanics' not general discussion.
Old 01-14-22, 10:07 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
i've had these same symptoms on a couple bike builds over the years : for me it was the top lock nut was very slightly running out of threads before touching the top of the fork tube. i added a 1 - 2 mm spacer in the headset stack and it fixed those symptoms
Old 01-14-22, 10:21 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by alij2018
So, this is weird issue. I just change my bearings of my headset. They are caged bearing. I tight the start nut normal, and I noticed a tightness sensation when moving the handlebar. When I ride also I can feel it.

I loose a little and still feel it. I cannot loose more else there will be a little play. I have never experienced something like this before.

I can ride the bike but I can feel that tightness sensation too. What are the possible causes for this?
I get the impression, though I am not completely sure, that this is a threaded headset ("tight the start nut") and not a threadless unit. I'm betting on the bent bearing cage. It also is possible that the bearing races are dented (you can see this visually) and that you have the so-called "indexed steering" as a result. This could happen because when you reassembled the headset things lined up differently than before you did the overhaul. Or maybe you had this issue before your maintenance but didn't realize it. I'm curious how you could install cartridge bearings in a threaded headset that was designed for loose/caged bearings.
Old 01-14-22, 10:29 AM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I get the impression, though I am not completely sure, that this is a threaded headset ("tight the start nut") and not a threadless unit. I'm betting on the bent bearing cage. It also is possible that the bearing races are dented (you can see this visually) and that you have the so-called "indexed steering" as a result. This could happen because when you reassembled the headset things lined up differently than before you did the overhaul. Or maybe you had this issue before your maintenance but didn't realize it. I'm curious how you could install cartridge bearings in a threaded headset that was designed for loose/caged bearings.
No this is a threadless headset. I own a Cannondale Trail 5 2020. When I bought the bearings, they were a little bent in my bag. I tried to make them right but they were not fully. I thought that when they will be compressed, they will be shaped to normal again. Well, the bend thing is just an assumption. The only way to find out is to disassemble again. Like I said, even I loose the headset, I can still feel a little tightness. But the handlebar was moving better. However, I cannot ride like that as there will be play.

For the sealed bearing, well, i will install new bearing cup which are coming with it. Already bought online. It will be here next month. I used sealed before, never got that issue. In fact, I have assembled forks many times o different bikes too and even with caged bearing I have never experienced that.
Old 01-14-22, 10:56 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Still got the old bearings? If so, pop the new bearings out of their cage, install them loose in the race (use grease to hold them in place) and add as many of the 'old' bearings as necessary to make up the remaining space in the race leaving room to add one more,(but don't). Headsets run smoother with loose balls as opposed to caged ones - much free-er to rock and roll as needed.
Old 01-14-22, 11:47 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Old 01-14-22, 01:58 PM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn_bike
i've had these same symptoms on a couple bike builds over the years : for me it was the top lock nut was very slightly running out of threads before touching the top of the fork tube. i added a 1 - 2 mm spacer in the headset stack and it fixed those symptoms
Bingo. I was waiting someone to comment on top cap or nut. You can be right. I just changed top cap. It decreases the the tightness a very very very little bit. I installed a flat bottom top cap. I guess, a 0.5mm or 1mm additional spacer may solve this. But I don't have right now. Neither the shop.