Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

The best headlights under $50 thread

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

The best headlights under $50 thread

Old 08-27-08, 07:15 AM
oakback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see some suggestions that I might purchase in this thread, but what about weather resistance? I'm in Florida, where rain shows up out of nowhere, and the humidity tends to be a bit high on occasions (94% this morning). The lights I would use are mainly for daytime, or perhaps dusk and dawn when the time changes, so the lights I choose are more for the "to be seen" category.

So are pretty much all of these water resistant, or should I be looking for some specific types?
Old 08-27-08, 07:30 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Water resistant, you ask?

General demo
Old 08-27-08, 08:15 AM
oakback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn, can't view youtube, I'll have to check it out tonight when I get home.
Old 08-27-08, 12:20 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oakback
Darn, can't view youtube, I'll have to check it out tonight when I get home.
Suffice to say, the Fenix is water resistant.

I know from personal experience too.
Old 08-27-08, 07:24 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I went riding on some bad roads today and noticed a problem with my MTE P7 light. Every time I hit a large bump, the light cycles to the next mode.

Does anyone else have this issue?
This is a concern. I have one on order that I plan to use for off-road riding.
Old 08-27-08, 07:52 PM
madscot13

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you really want the light, then the 2 mode version sounds like it would be better.
Old 08-27-08, 08:29 PM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
This light with a Two Fish holder would be great. You'd have enough money leftover for a charger and batteries too.

https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...CREE-Q5/Detail
Thanks for the heads-up. I bought that light, 5 of the Rayovac batteries, and the charger for under 50 bucks shipped, and it came in 3 days. I am quite satisfied with it's performance.
Old 08-27-08, 08:32 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yan
I went riding on some bad roads today and noticed a problem with my MTE P7 light. Every time I hit a large bump, the light cycles to the next mode.

It sounds like your mount isn't stable enough. Either tighten that or use duct tape to secure the light to the mount and bars.
Old 08-27-08, 09:57 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
It sounds like your mount isn't stable enough. Either tighten that or use duct tape to secure the light to the mount and bars.
I'm using a Twofish Lockblock. The mount is fine.

If the problem persists, I'm going to have to mount the light on my helmet.
Old 08-28-08, 02:20 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yan

Sounds like the batteries are loose and momentarily loosing contact, switching modes.
Old 09-02-08, 03:39 PM
madscot13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with the MTE SSC P7 flashlight. I am not sure if it is the best one for my use and the quality of the flashlight but we will see! There is another 900 lumen flashlight by Aurora that sounds like it has better throw. I might get that one next to augment the MTE, or I might buy one that is called the Super Thrower. I would just like to see who the set up works initially before I go out and spend over a $100 in flashlights. I think I am going to pick up a front rack before I buy a second light. That way I will have something to strap both flashlights to and my light will be lower and further ahead, spacing them apart and reducing shadows. With or without the second flashlight, the MTE will be better than my sigma bikelight.

I plan to use this light mainly for trail riding and some limited street riding.

Last edited by madscot13; 09-02-08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 04:13 PM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This probably won't apply to this thread because the price exceeds the original question, but since I got one of these at a pretty good discount and am getting the flashlight either way, I'm probably going to give it a go as a bike light (at least to test it).

In any case, the specs on this light make it an awesome consideration several types of use. Whether it's got enough spill as a bike light, I don't know...but it could always be coupled with another light for spill, because this would certainly deliver the throw at less than $100 (I got one for right at $71, a few lucky people on the CandlePower Forums got one for less than $50). Supposedly incredible runtime and will take several battery types (2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A, 2x16340, 1x18650, or 1x17670). And with the Olights, you're getting something that I associate with Fenix, too, and that's outstanding quality (for those with concerns about that sort of thing . . . ).

Olight M20 Warrior PREMIUM Tactical LEDFlashlight w. Cree R2 - 250 Lumens

Couple of modes and runtime specs:

7 lumens, 150 hours
90 lumens, 12 hours
250 lumens, 4 hours
Strobe

Pre-orders are being taking at 4sevens.com and batteryjunction.com. Check it out if for nothing more than to see what the new technology is bringing us.

Last edited by varuscelli; 09-02-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 04:26 PM
bmorey

Bikes: Giant CRX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madscot13
I went with the MTE SSC P7 flashlight. I am not sure if it is the best one for my use and the quality of the flashlight but we will see! There is another 900 lumen flashlight by Aurora that sounds like it has better throw. I might get that one next to augment the MTE, or I might buy one that is called the Super Thrower. I would just like to see who the set up works initially before I go out and spend over a $100 in flashlights. I think I am going to pick up a front rack before I buy a second light. That way I will have something to strap both flashlights to and my light will be lower and further ahead, spacing them apart and reducing shadows. With or without the second flashlight, the MTE will be better than my sigma bikelight.

I plan to use this light mainly for trail riding and some limited street riding.
I've bought one too -- should arrive in a week. I see DX is selling the bare emitter units The new listing has a note --

Correction: this page showed that the emitter features an output of 900 lumens while these are really B-Bin emitters (as in BSYPI). The correct output rating should be 570~740 lumens. If you have purchased this product expecting it to have 900 lumens output, you may either cancel your order (if it's not shipped), or return the product to us for a full refund + reimbursement.
570 lumens is still OK with me!
Old 09-06-08, 07:18 PM
nick95673

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ENTER CPFuser TO GET 6% OFF

Holy crud!!!

My 2 Romisen RC-N3 Q5's from Shiningbeam.com just came in. These babies are bright. I work in Law Enforcement and we often sit around comparing flashlights rated around 50-70k candle power. I can not tell you how high these rate because I am not an engineer. However I know for sure that when I get to work tonight I will be bragging about my flashlight that is just a hair less bright that cost 1/4 of the other guys lights.

The only con was that the beam can not be focused. However at 3pm when it was 100* out I could see the spot light on the ground from 4 feet away in direct sunlight. I would highly recommend these. I have 2 Duracell Rechargeables 2400mAh-AA/HR6/DC1500 NiMH/1,2V in them. I would highly recommend these flashlights even if you dont use them on your bike. I will use these at work. They will blind someone for sure.

Last edited by nick95673; 09-06-08 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-06-08, 08:12 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...50-Cree/Detail

I bought this light from Shiningbeam. Great thrower, good quality.

Update on the MTE P7 switch problem: I unscrewed the tailcap slightly and the problem goes away.
Old 09-07-08, 01:33 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nick95673
ENTER CPFuser TO GET 6% OFF

Holy crud!!!

My 2 Romisen RC-N3 Q5's from Shiningbeam.com just came in. These babies are bright. I work in Law Enforcement and we often sit around comparing flashlights rated around 50-70k candle power. I can not tell you how high these rate because I am not an engineer. However I know for sure that when I get to work tonight I will be bragging about my flashlight that is just a hair less bright that cost 1/4 of the other guys lights.

The only con was that the beam can not be focused. However at 3pm when it was 100* out I could see the spot light on the ground from 4 feet away in direct sunlight. I would highly recommend these. I have 2 Duracell Rechargeables 2400mAh-AA/HR6/DC1500 NiMH/1,2V in them. I would highly recommend these flashlights even if you dont use them on your bike. I will use these at work. They will blind someone for sure.
I just received my Romisen RC-N3 Q5's last week and I admit they are bright. Haven't had a chance to try them on the bike under nighttime or twilight conditions, but maybe tomorrow (I have the day off) I'll go for an early morning ride and see how they perform.
Old 09-14-08, 07:46 AM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
This light with a Two Fish holder would be great. You'd have enough money leftover for a charger and batteries too.

OK, now that I have been using that light for a dark am commute for a while, I have to say I am impressed and pleased with my purchase. It is bright enough for me to commute to work on an unlit bike path at 17-20 mph. I mounted it with a twofish lock-block on the handle-bars, and am more than pleased. I am going to get another one for when it is winter and dark on the way home as well, and mount it on my helmet.

Old 09-30-08, 07:48 AM
shuffles
Embracing my inner Fred

Bikes: Early 90s Specialized Epic Pro carbon/DA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These MTE P7s sound great, but their battery life seems to only be around 65-70 minutes? Our morning rides are usually 90-110 minutes and will soon be all in the dark, and we ride on some really dark roads so I need something seriously brighter than the dinky 7 LED Cat-Eye that I have now.

Are there other similarly bright lamps (P7 I guess?) that might have a longer battery life?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-08, 09:03 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shuffles
These MTE P7s sound great, but their battery life seems to only be around 65-70 minutes?
They start to dim after an hour on 500 lumens, but you can always pop in a second battery. If you use it at medium mode (about 250 lumens), they should last for at least three hours on full brightness before starting to dim. That said, I think there's someone on the candlepower forums who sells P7s that take two 18650s, which would result in 2h at 500 lumens...
Old 10-01-08, 06:36 AM
shuffles
Embracing my inner Fred

Bikes: Early 90s Specialized Epic Pro carbon/DA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, there are several on Deal Extreme that take two 18650s, I actually ordered one yesterday then cancelled when I realized the thing was 9.5 inches long! That'd look a little funny on the bars.

When are we going to see the CygoLites, Dinottes, or NiteRiders with these technologies?
Old 10-01-08, 06:55 AM
madscot13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe you could attach it to the top tube instead? Personally I prefer it when my lights are lower.
Old 10-01-08, 09:42 PM
beowulf7
World's Most Modest Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a Performance Bike catalog I just received, I saw bike headlights that were selling for over $400! If I recall, it was advertised as 3 LEDs outputting 500 lumens for 7 hrs.
Old 10-02-08, 01:00 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by beowulf7
In a Performance Bike catalog I just received, I saw bike headlights that were selling for over $400!
You're shocked at a $400 light system? Ok, no one tell him about the Lupine Betty 12

The problem with the flashlights changing modes when hitting bumps might be the battery momentarily losing contact.
Old 10-02-08, 12:07 PM
beowulf7
World's Most Modest Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
You're shocked at a $400 light system? Ok, no one tell him about the Lupine Betty 12

The problem with the flashlights changing modes when hitting bumps might be the battery momentarily losing contact.
LOL, I guess in the era of 5-figure bicycles, a light that costs half a grand shouldn't surprise me that much. But it still does.
Old 10-06-08, 04:44 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Ok, I have stayed away from this forum, but have fallen in deep.

I have read quite a bit....so hear are my questions:

I believe in the economic theory of tanstaafl (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch) althoug technology can minimize some of this

So what are the tradeoffs between a 200 lumen led light like the romisen and a 200 lumen bike specific Dinotte?

Is it mainly run time?

is the overall illumination the same? Reliabiliyt? or ???

All in all for my needs (not heavy duty nightime guy, but want more than my current little led) from my reading here itis seems like the romisen would be fine and going to the P7 might be overkill. Any thoughts here?

thanks
'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.