Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Advocating for cameras on bikes.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Advocating for cameras on bikes.

Old 05-29-19, 10:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Wow. 300 posts...Good thread.

So have we decided yet?
Are cameras on bikes good or bad?
Old 05-29-19, 12:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by base2

So have we decided yet?
I decided that people who want to put them on their bikes should do so, but I'm going to pass.
Old 05-29-19, 12:25 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by base2

So have we decided yet?
Good for camera manufacturers and their retailers.
Old 05-31-19, 03:37 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This would be the point where you actually link to the research and observation you're claiming exists. For all we know, you might be talking about ISIS videos, but I don't think that's the effect we're looking for.

You're claiming that there is "ample research" showing that the presence of cameras makes people act more in conformity with rules, right? Now, you've added the claim that the situation of those cameras is "irrelevant"? Really? Should I start a list of people who have deliberately videoed themselves doing horrible things to other people?

"Bald assertion" does not equal "logic and reason" no matter how many times you make that claim. You obviously confuse those things in a lot of threads on a lot of subjects.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6198084/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mera/21997511/

Amazon has over 20 pages of listings for fake security cameras.

Granted these are for the incredibly different scenarios that don't involve people on bicycles, but apparently enough people feel that the presence of a camera does change behavior. I put an extra camera in the lobby of my old condo complex when we had some packages stolen, and that helped cut down on the theft problems we'd been having. Posting pictures of the thief stealing packages helped too, maybe it was just a fluke that the thief decided to stop stealing packages out of the lobby after seeing his picture posted there and the extra camera.
Old 05-31-19, 10:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by no motor?

Granted these are for the incredibly different scenarios that don't involve people on bicycles, but apparently enough people feel that the presence of a camera does change behavior. I put an extra camera in the lobby of my old condo complex when we had some packages stolen, and that helped cut down on the theft problems we'd been having. Posting pictures of the thief stealing packages helped too, maybe it was just a fluke that the thief decided to stop stealing packages out of the lobby after seeing his picture posted there and the extra camera.
If you read the study you linked, it's really a mixed bag, and it appears that the effects are highly dependant on how the camera is presented. Some of the studies even suggest that cameras make people less helpful, which would be a problem if you're injured.

The experiments in that study actually involved monitors as well as cameras, which is a rather obvious difference from a rider on bike situation. One of the studies cited notes that you get similar results by placing a bunch of mirrors.

I'm guessing that your condo thief would have been quite freaked out by the pictures, hard to know if the camera alone would have stopped him.

Since the effects seem to be highly context dependent especially in an outdoor setting, I don't see how anyone could confidently state that the positive effects of cameras on bikes are "proven" . If they make people less willing to help, that's a pretty good reason not to wear one.

You'll also notice, btw, that a lot of the research is about what kind of signs to put up to let people know they're being monitored. So, you going to wear a tshirt?
Old 06-01-19, 08:52 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

It all depends on your willingness to accept a situation that isn't 100% proven. I'll leave you to enjoy not riding at all to reduce the risk of whatever you're paranoid about, and let you worry about about a different group of circumstances.
Old 06-02-19, 11:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It all depends on your willingness to accept a situation that isn't 100% proven. I'll leave you to enjoy not riding at all to reduce the risk of whatever you're paranoid about, and let you worry about about a different group of circumstances.

Is English your first language? I have no idea what you mean by that. I rode 200 miles this weekend, I just don't use cameras.

I'd love to know how you got from me not obsessively making a video record of my rides to I'm too paranoid to ride. A person could hurt himself making a leap like that.
Old 06-03-19, 01:38 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Based upon endless posts in this specific forum and some online data, incidents involving motorists harassing cyclists are on the rise.
Odd, considering the fact that the use of cameras on bicycles is at an all time high.
Kinda blows your half-arsed fake camera theory out of the water. As it pertains to cycling at least
Old 06-03-19, 11:05 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Based upon endless posts in this specific forum and some online data, incidents involving motorists harassing cyclists are on the rise.
Odd, considering the fact that the use of cameras on bicycles is at an all time high.
Kinda blows your half-arsed fake camera theory out of the water. As it pertains to cycling at least
That's not how science works, we'd need a control group to see what the results would be without a change.
I'm unsure what you mean by "half-arsed fake camera theory out of the water. As it pertains to cycling at least" as I mentioned that to show the effects of cameras on people. I'm sorry if you interpreted that as an endorsement for using fake security cameras while riding a bicycle.
Old 06-03-19, 11:10 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by livedarklions

Is English your first language? I have no idea what you mean by that. I rode 200 miles this weekend, I just don't use cameras.

I'd love to know how you got from me not obsessively making a video record of my rides to I'm too paranoid to ride. A person could hurt himself making a leap like that.
Yes, English is my first language. I'm not sure if the sole use of written words makes communicating with you more difficult, or if you really are as you appear here, but I'm not going to waste any more effort here.
Old 06-03-19, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yes, English is my first language. I'm not sure if the sole use of written words makes communicating with you more difficult, or if you really are as you appear here, but I'm not going to waste any more effort here.
Well, since you can't even remotely justify calling me "paranoid", I'm not viewing that as a loss. Your "effort" just seems like pointless insults to me.
Old 06-03-19, 01:03 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
That's not how science works, we'd need a control group to see what the results would be without a change.
I'm unsure what you mean by "half-arsed fake camera theory out of the water. As it pertains to cycling at least" as I mentioned that to show the effects of cameras on people. I'm sorry if you interpreted that as an endorsement for using fake security cameras while riding a bicycle.
Not science bro. Reality. Keep choosing to ignore it lol