Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth Connection Issues with Rouvy

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 08:54 AM
Lonerobot5
Average Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have an Xplova Noza S Smart trainer. My ideal setup is to take my iPad out to the garage and use that with whatever app I settle on.

I realise my iPad will not accept an ANT+ connection without a dedicated dongle. Hey, no problem, I can just Bluetooth everything right?

Well yes and no. If I'm using Zwift, literally everything pairs through Bluetooth - Trainer, Cadence sensor, HR broadcast from my watch.

When I use the identical setup with Rouvy, It doesn't recognize the trainer at all. The Rouvy website says my trainer connects with ANT+ and not Bluetooth.

Well this isn't so! otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it with Zwift.

Actually the cadence sensor does connect but that is broadcasting both protocols.

Has anyone had the same issue with this particular trainer? My cycling friend has a TacX Neo and uses Rouvy with his iPad no problem at all. So given it's an iPad and only able to use BT natively then would it be a reasonable assumption to say the Rouvy app that is at fault here, since Zwift connects to my Xplova via BT with no issues?

cheers

Pete
Old 01-30-21, 01:44 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I agree with your assessment that rouvy is at fault. check versions between yours and your friends. maybe a recent update added bluetooth.
Old 01-31-21, 10:39 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
They may feel the Ant+ is better connection for their app. This trainer is not one of the big name models so many app’s don’t feel the need to support the trainer is fully as say a Wahoo model.
Old 01-31-21, 03:19 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I started using a Kickr Bike this year and could not get the Bluetooth to work correctly on any device. Customer support was indifferent at best. So after 10 years on Rouvy I moved on FulGaz is awesome and video quality is amazing. TrainerDay for workouts was very reasonable and works great as well.
Old 01-31-21, 05:02 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I started using a Kickr Bike this year and could not get the Bluetooth to work correctly on any device. Customer support was indifferent at best. So after 10 years on Rouvy I moved on FulGaz is awesome and video quality is amazing. TrainerDay for workouts was very reasonable and works great as well.
I use Rouvy daily with my Kickr Bike.
it is the least problem app for me.
Zwift has been a mess this month for everyone with dropped connections. I beta test for several of the cycling app’s. An a couple that are not even out yet. 😀
Old 01-31-21, 06:38 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I use Rouvy daily with my Kickr Bike.
it is the least problem app for me.
Zwift has been a mess this month for everyone with dropped connections. I beta test for several of the cycling app’s. An a couple that are not even out yet. 😀
Are you using ant+or Bluetooth. iOS devices were my problem.

How has your bike been working. Mine has been great but been reading people are having issues with the shifters and the power supply.
Old 01-31-21, 11:41 PM
Lonerobot5
Average Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I agree with your assessment that rouvy is at fault. check versions between yours and your friends. maybe a recent update added bluetooth.
Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. as my smart trainer is new I checked the firmware and my iPad OS is up to date. Latest version of Rouvy too, so my only assume it's trainer integration in the app itself.
Old 01-31-21, 11:45 PM
Lonerobot5
Average Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
They may feel the Ant+ is better connection for their app. This trainer is not one of the big name models so many app’s don’t feel the need to support the trainer is fully as say a Wahoo model.
Hi Ed, I'd imagine this is their thinking - it's not listed as an option in "other makes" either, so there's clearly some preference given my friend's Tacx connects with no problems.

The Xplova wasn't even on my list of trainers to be honest, Lockdown has been terrible to get hold of anything and this was the only one I could get, online was completely sold out and this model was the only one left at my LBS
Old 01-31-21, 11:46 PM
Lonerobot5
Average Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah that's frustrating, thanks for the suggestion of FulGaz, I will give this a try.
Old 01-31-21, 11:53 PM
Lonerobot5
Average Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you using ant+or Bluetooth. iOS devices were my problem.

How has your bike been working. Mine has been great but been reading people are having issues with the shifters and the power supply.
I think, like me Atlas Shrugged if it's the iOS app you are running then it has to be connected via BT as ANT+ isn't an option for this OS. I considered trying an ANT+ usb dongle via a lightning to USB connector,but from what I read online this doesn't work. (apart from some questionable sounding software bridge hacks)

I could certainly buy an ANT+ dongle and run this with a laptop, but it's not an ideal thing to lug my computer out to the garage each time I want to train. It's ironic that my least favourite training app (Zwift) works perfectly apart from being annoying AF 😂

Thanks to everyone for their replies
Old 02-01-21, 02:11 AM
Lonerobot5
Average Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So an update to this - I downloaded FulGaz on my iPad and my trainer paired perfectly via Bluetooth with everything first time.

I suspect Rouvy's iOS BT support is not there with my particular trainer over Bluetooth. Shame, it looked a good option.

I'm excited to try something a bit more real, Zwift was driving me mad.
Old 02-01-21, 07:38 AM
trainerday

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Alex from TrainerDay

Originally Posted by Lonerobot5
Ah that's frustrating, thanks for the suggestion of FulGaz, I will give this a try.
We have tested the KickrBike in our training app and after doing some fixes; it is working for our users. Many great apps out there just saying if you struggle to find something working, ours should work for you.
Likes For trainerday:
Old 02-01-21, 07:45 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by trainerday
We have tested the KickrBike in our training app and after doing some fixes; it is working for our users. Many great apps out there just saying if you struggle to find something working, ours should work for you.
Nice to see a real vendor commenting on the forum. Think I'll have a look at trainer day now.

-scott
Likes For spelger: