Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift Exaggerated Numbers

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift Exaggerated Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 05:52 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Zwift halves downhill grades even before adjusting further for lower trainer difficulty setting.

^ Yep. If you're running the default 50% "difficulty slider" setting, that means uphill gradients are halved and downhill gradients are actually QUARTERED.

It means that a 10% uphill feels like 5% and that same 10% going downhill only feels like negative 2.5% gradient.

Even on the 100% slider setting, downhills in Zwift are still at 50% realism. It's set that way by Zwift to reduce spinning out on the trainer.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 08-19-21, 07:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I think that it's probably better. I imagine they tried true realism and found it was silly. Given that you really don't want to coast that often on a trainer.

I was going to post the "true level" episode of Rick and Morty, but it's got language
Old 08-20-21, 07:48 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
My saris H3 it's very close to real life when going up hill not drafting anyone etc.... say 10% grade over 5 miles = x mount of time etc... steep grade is mostly power to ratio. flats & down hill is more aero
and rolling resistance.

Down hill is a joke. zwift must give you unlimited gears. How on earth I can pedal at 50+ mph and also do 50rpm + on 15% grade ? That must a rear cassette 5 to 50.

On the flats zwift must assume the most perfect smooth road, zero wind, best bike, game must also assume I am in the best possible aero postion etc.. I am good 2 to 3 mph if not more in zwift vs real life then of course there's so many people you can draft in zwift unlike real life. At home you could be riding on the hoods are even no hands with very bad aero position while on the flats doing 25+ mph.
1. It's not a direct simulation. It's a game that's a really good training tool. Obviously your position doesn't impact your in-game CdA, and yes, the in-game speeds are slightly optimistic for all kinds of reasons (perfect draft with no chance of crashing, smooth roads / low rolling resistance, no wind, etc)
2. I don't know what you weigh, or what your power levels are, but I do think that the amount that Zwift reduces CdA for lighter and shorter riders is probably a bit more than realistic. Some people with lower power to weight find their speed is actually lower in zwift than IRL.
Likes For Viich:
Old 08-26-21, 08:40 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
ok Viich, so today i decided to try an event in zwift. road something like a group ride with HERD group. it was pretty good. there were only C and D categories. i opted for C to push myself a bit. now i think they need a B category because i did fine. i had a little fun drifting to the back of the pack then pushing through to the front and repeated once more. i'll probably do this kind of ride again.

i'll try a race again eventually. thursdays normally is a VO2max day but lately my weeks have been all messed up. bought a spitfire a few weeks ago and it is taking away some of my free time. just got lights working, now i can drive it to work.
Likes For spelger: