Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Getting started on Zwift

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Getting started on Zwift

Old 10-29-21, 05:55 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Getting started on Zwift

I would like to try out Zwift with my magnetic Blackburn trainer. Its not on the supported trainer list for Zwift, but it has a knob with detents so I can dial in the exact same resistance every time. I also have a wahoo speed sensor. Will Zwift work for me?

Dave
Old 10-29-21, 07:39 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
With a speed sensor you should be able to ride with Zwift's 'zPower'. The Zwift list says Blackburn Mag-1, Mag-3, and Mag-6 are all supported. What exact model do you have?
Otherwise I would set it up, tell the Zwift software you have a Blackburn Mag-1 (or closest model) and see if it works well enough for Zwift.
Old 10-30-21, 10:19 AM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
The Zwift Insider has lots of useful information on the game including this article:

https://zwiftinsider.com/getting-sta...assic-trainer/
Old 10-30-21, 04:32 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
With a speed sensor you should be able to ride with Zwift's 'zPower'. The Zwift list says Blackburn Mag-1, Mag-3, and Mag-6 are all supported. What exact model do you have?
Otherwise I would set it up, tell the Zwift software you have a Blackburn Mag-1 (or closest model) and see if it works well enough for Zwift.
Its the Blackburn Trackstand. Not sure how it compares to the mag1, but it's worth a try.

​​​​​Dave
Old 11-05-21, 05:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Zwift will work. But your estimated power will probably be miles off.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-05-21, 07:01 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Zwift will work. But your estimated power will probably be miles off.
I do concur, you'll probably be way off for power when you first set up.

Here is what I would do.
1) Go to Bike Calculator and enter the specifics for your weight and choose 'drops' because the Zwift guy always rides in the drops.
2) Adjust the power until you get about 30km/h, so for a 75kg rider and riding in the drops, 30km/h without a headwind and zero gradient at sea level is about 145watts.
3) Now in Zwift, start riding and try to ride at 30km/h in game, now look at the zPower, if it is ridiculously low increase your resistance until the zPower is the right about of watts (choose 3s average in the software so that it stays kind of steady) and you're going 30km/h. If the power is too much, well it will probably be very hard to pedal anyway, so decrease the resistance.

Note that this method is probably only good for speeds around 30km/h and on flat roads and will be off in other conditions, but that's probably the best you can do with your current set up.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 11-06-21, 06:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I do concur, you'll probably be way off for power when you first set up.

Here is what I would do.
1) Go to Bike Calculator and enter the specifics for your weight and choose 'drops' because the Zwift guy always rides in the drops.
2) Adjust the power until you get about 30km/h, so for a 75kg rider and riding in the drops, 30km/h without a headwind and zero gradient at sea level is about 145watts.
3) Now in Zwift, start riding and try to ride at 30km/h in game, now look at the zPower, if it is ridiculously low increase your resistance until the zPower is the right about of watts (choose 3s average in the software so that it stays kind of steady) and you're going 30km/h. If the power is too much, well it will probably be very hard to pedal anyway, so decrease the resistance.

Note that this method is probably only good for speeds around 30km/h and on flat roads and will be off in other conditions, but that's probably the best you can do with your current set up.
Sounds like a good plan. You could even check it at a few different speeds and on a steady climb to see how it stacks up.