Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I wish the sentence could have been more.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 04:59 AM
dmac49

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At least there is one guy off the road.

By Larry Hertz • Poughkeepsie Journal • January 8, 2009

A Putnam County motorist accused of fatally injuring a bicyclist in June in East Fishkill told town police he left the scene of the crash after the accident, according to court documents.
Advertisement

William Mancusi, 32, of Carmel, made a brief appearance in Dutchess County Court Tuesday morning before his case was adjourned until Jan. 13.

According to court papers filed Tuesday morning, Mancusi told East Fishkill police Chief Brian Nichols and Officer Mark Didato he struck the cyclist, 48-year-old Alfred Poggiogalle of Hopewell Junction, with his van while he was driving on Route 52 June 12. He reportedly told police he left the scene of the crash to make a phone call at a nearby delicatessen, then returned.

Police later determined Mancusi had marijuana, morphine and traces of codeine in his bloodstream at the time of the accident. He was subsequently charged with vehicular manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide, both felonies.

The victim's widow, Cindy Poggiogalle, attended Tuesday's brief proceeding before County Court Judge Thomas J. Dolan.

Following the court session, she issued a statement on behalf of the family that read, in part, "Our family is appreciative of the hard work that the East Fishkill police department and the Dutchess County District Attorney's Office have done. ... The only acceptable outcome will be the maximum sentence allowed under the law."

Mancusi faces up to 21/3 to seven years in prison if he is convicted of the crime.
Old 01-08-09, 06:13 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
WOW! He received 21/3 years behind bars! I guess you have to be super high on drugs to get the max for killing a cyclist. Otherwise, he probably would have received a $50.00 traffic ticket.
Old 01-08-09, 06:45 AM
dmac49

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
WOW! He received 21/3 years behind bars! I guess you have to be super high on drugs to get the max for killing a cyclist. Otherwise, he probably would have received a $50.00 traffic ticket.
2 and 1/3 yrs to 7 yrs. At this point he has confessed only and not been convicted nor sentenced. This is the max he can receive.
Old 01-08-09, 12:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
usually you get off with no charges even if you ran the stop sign. A $50 traffic ticket would be an insult to the deceased so the cops don't write the ticket.
Old 01-08-09, 01:16 PM
pipes
S E Michigan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got hit and the the driver took off in June ! He turned hisself in and my bike got paid for .BUT here is the kicker he never even got a ticket for anything not even for leaving the scene of an accident .I showed the report to a judge friend a mine and he was shocked .
Old 01-08-09, 01:54 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in putnam it's a miracle he was charged with anything.
Old 01-08-09, 03:56 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The deceased's family should file a Wrongful Death suit. They may not collect for a long time, if ever, but the judgment will be hanging over his head for the rest of his life.
Old 01-08-09, 04:32 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
The deceased's family should file a Wrongful Death suit. They may not collect for a long time, if ever, but the judgment will be hanging over his head for the rest of his life.
It would also seriously mess up Mancusi's life for years to come, with all the attorney fees he'll have to shell out just to defend himself. Probably a worse punishment for him then jail in the long run.
Old 01-08-09, 04:41 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before the trial, they'll plead it down to a drunk in public charge, probably a low level misdemeanor with credit for time served. He'll get no fine, no probation and be back on the streets by the 4th of July.
Old 01-27-10, 01:09 AM
cannondale22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride like everyone else they build bike ways for these reassons. its not safe to ride on the roads as everyone knows. as a driver i dont think bikers would be happy if i drove my car on there paths. so bikes shouldnt be on roads. where he had gotten killed is the worst place to right around a corner..
Old 01-27-10, 02:07 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cannondale22
i ride like everyone else they build bike ways for these reasons. its not safe to ride on the roads as everyone knows. as a driver i dont think bikers would be happy if i drove my car on there paths. so bikes shouldn't be on roads. where he had gotten killed is the worst place to right around a corner..
Sorry, but pretty much every state in the Union a bicycle is recognized as being a legitimate and legal road user. And as such cyclists have every right to be on just about any (limited access roads aside) road they desire to travel. Yes, because of the speed involved some roads are more dangerous then others to travel. But even those roads with "high rates of speed" can be safely shared IF they are properly designed. Several times a year I travel on roads with speeds into the 50's.

The road that I travel on a daily basis the speed in about a 2 1/2 mile stretch goes from 30/35MPH to 40/45MPH. Yes, occasionally I have to deal with ignorant drivers who do not know what the laws are. Or that I have every legal right to be on the road, but because I travel the same route 6 days out of 7 at about the same time I think that most people are by now used to seeing me on the road. Not only on the road but riding in the right tire track of the right lane.

Also most states have it written into their statutes pertaining to bicycles that if a road/lane is of a substandard width (defined as being any lane in which a bicycle and another vehicle traveling in the same direction cannot safely pass each other. That the bicycle is allowed to take the lane for his/her safety.

Which means that here in Florida in most residential areas where most two lane residential roads are just barely 20' wide that we are legally allowed to take and control the lane on said roads. And according to a video posted in another thread at the https://www.commuteorlando.com/ web site that on such roads we cyclists are not required to ride single file and that we can ride two abreast legally.
Old 01-27-10, 04:01 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
i ride like everyone else they build bike ways for these reassons. its not safe to ride on the roads as everyone knows. as a driver i dont think bikers would be happy if i drove my car on there paths. so bikes shouldnt be on roads. where he had gotten killed is the worst place to right around a corner..
Stupid, anti-cyclist TROLLS. Take it to your car forum.
Old 01-27-10, 11:40 AM
layedback1

Bikes: RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things come to mind. First of all the family needs to file a wrongful death suit. Ive seen too many times the police and especially the courts do very little to support a cyclist.

Second, here is another case where the supporters of pot are completely wrong. They would have you believe there is no harm in pot smoking at all!!!!!
Old 01-27-10, 11:56 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
layed back, this is a long dead thread that was revived by a troll for the sake of trolling.
Old 01-27-10, 06:52 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Before you can use the roads, you are usually expected to KNOW THE RULES. The appalling lack of enforcement isn't an indicator, but the rules are there for a reason.

LEARN THEM.

Then come talk to us.
Old 01-27-10, 08:54 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
At least he confessed.
Seriously.

He should still do some heavy time, but acknowledging his guilt is a big step in the right direction.

Here's hoping he cleans up his act.
Old 01-27-10, 09:17 PM
GraysonPeddie

Bikes: Trek Pure Trike (recently bought)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cannondale22resurrect.jpg (44.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-30-10, 10:05 PM
cannondale22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry to get everyone upset. i didnt mean it to be wrong i was just saying my opinion. i am not a troll? you cant say someones opinion is wrong. no one knows what really happened. the only person is mr.mancusi.
Old 05-06-15, 04:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Dezc511
Very true. Nicely said. He is my family member. He is a good husband, father, brother, friend with a big heart, just made some really bad choices. He thinks about what happened everyday of his life and has to live with what what he did. Good person, bad choices. God bless you Bikepacker67
It's been 6 years. If you're directly related or a friend, I can understand why you might post this, so please disregard my post here and on the other.

But otherwise I don't see why someone would reopen such an old thread.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-06-15, 04:31 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
please don't resurrect old threads........

Old 05-07-15, 02:54 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dezc511
Very true. Nicely said. He is my family member. He is a good husband, father, brother, friend with a big heart, just made some really bad choices. He thinks about what happened everyday of his life and has to live with what what he did. Good person, bad choices. God bless you Bikepacker67
You sir, appear to be a complete TROLL or worse. An actual family member would have known of the killers arrest and conviction again and the added suffering he has caused the cyclist family.
Drugged driving victim's family shocked by new arrest
Old 05-07-15, 10:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
and on that note, I hope this guy gets some peace -- somewhere he can't drive. Closed.