Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The used bike money pit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The used bike money pit

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 07:10 AM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The used bike money pit

So I'm looking around for a cheapish second hand bike. I'm not desparate by any means, but of course unlike buying new, you can't just expect something to be available with everything you want.

Take the current example. I am considering a bike at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's my size (will test ride if required to confirm), but it's a 2004 bike with 8 speed Sora. It's $300 which I think is a fair price. But considering my abilities and riding I would want to change to a compact crank (I don't think there were a lot of compacts around in 2004), which will effectively add at least another $100 to the price. More considering labour and servicing as that's not something I would do myself. Then the total price gets a bit more unreasonable.

So I guess this is more a a whinge than a proper post.

But I was wondering how much would you personally mess around with a used bike?

I suppose it will always come down to how desparate you are.
Old 06-04-11, 07:39 AM
nuhtowel

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on what you get. 3 years ago I bought a specialized allez from craigslist for 400 bucks with sora components. The only changes I made were the pedals, seat, and a new set of tires a year after owning it. I rode the crap out of it and loved it. I never wanted to dump a lot of money into it since it was an entry level bike, and I couldn't stomach spending a lot of money on upgrades when the whole bike only cost me 400 dollars.

3 weeks ago that bicycle perished (RIP) and last sunday I purchased a used 2008 caad9 in like-new condition, and I probably won't feel as bad about spending money on it.
Old 06-04-11, 07:45 AM
Bioluminescence
Still a newb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick question: Why would you want to switch the crank?

A triple will work just as fine as a compact, except you have a bit more variety in gear ratios.
Old 06-04-11, 10:48 AM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never bought a new bike before and have some really nice riders. However, I am patient, knowledgeable in bike mechanics, and am willing to upgrade my stuff to a certain standard.

As stated earlier, it's nice, put the money into it. If it's not, you'd be better off looking for a bike with the stuff you want already on it.
Old 06-04-11, 10:50 AM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioluminescence

A triple will work just as fine as a compact, except you have a bit more variety in gear ratios.
b/c a triple is not cool (allegedly)
Old 06-04-11, 11:21 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
IMO unless you can do the mechanical work yourself (or are willing to use the bike to learn) and have parts around, used bikes do tend to be money pits. It's very difficult to judge what really needs to be worked on until you've spent some time with the bike.

There's also no question in my mind that a bike with 2011 Sora (which might set you back $800) will be much better quality than 7-year old Sora parts.

It's worth it if you find that vintage Merckx you've dreamed about since 1983, or if there is something very specific about the used bike that you can't get with a modern bike (e.g. lugged steel tubes, downtube shifters), but in most cases I don't think you will save a lot of cash when buying used.
Old 06-04-11, 11:32 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nice bikes can get REALLY cheap if you can do the following:

1. Your own wrenching
2. Have the patience and knowledge to find good deals on used bikes.
3. Have the cash flow to allow you to buy whole bikes with the intention of using only certain parts.
4. Can resell the unused parts.

It sounds like a lot of work and it is, but it is a great way to get a great bike exactly as you want it for a lot less money.

55/Rad
Old 06-04-11, 01:11 PM
qisage
Intermediate

Bikes: 09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I completely agree with 55/Rad. I have bought new bikes and used ones and I would only buy a used bike if I can do the work on it myself (upgrades at least).
Otherwise it does get very expensive. Now just replacing a crank set isn't that bad, but in your price range the cost of the upgrade is a very high percent ratio to the original price.
It always helps when you buy a used bike to plan on total price with upgrades vs buying a newer bike (or being patient to find a bike with what you want to begin with).
Old 06-04-11, 01:19 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
My Jamis is 8 speed sora with a triple, also bought for around $300. It was a great purchase, even though I hate the triple on it. I'm used to friction shift FD's, and find all the trimming I must do with the triple rather annoying. I'll ride the heck out of it as is, and throw a 53/39 or something on it when I have a little extra cash in the bike budget.
Old 06-04-11, 01:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by damnable
But I was wondering how much would you personally mess around with a used bike?
I would, and do mess with them completely - to the ends of the earth. Got my Pinarello with tiny little 38cm bars and sewups on it about 12 years ago, thinking OMG what if I get a flat? Just rode as-is for a while, got a clincher wheelset for free a couple months later (whew, a miracle of rec.bicycles.marketplace - a gift from a former Bicycling Magazine guy). Finally plunked down about $70 for new bar and stem after about 3 years. I've had a few saddles on but have had the same one on since 2001 or so. Of course even on a new bike there's only a 5% chance I'll keep the stock saddle.

Besides that I pick up all kinds of used bikes in all stages of disrepair and make 'em rideable, sometimes a bare frame if I like it.

Even my Mongoose which I bought brand new only has stock front derailer, headset, BB and crank on it at the moment.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-04-11 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 06:17 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
If you aren't in the market for a "quick fix" I would suggest keep saving your dollars and buy something better that is already equipped with what you want.

You are in Brisbane, Australia, yes?

First, nail down the exact size you think you want. Take the measurements from your current bike if it does seem to fit you properly. Store those measurements on your computer. Then start looking at eBay and www.bikeexchange.com.au. See what's available now in the $400 to $600 range.

If you find something that seems appropriate, get the seller to measure the frame and compare the results with your stored info. That way, you are at least in the ballpark before making an inspection.

105 is probably a good starting point, although here you will probably find there is a mix of Shimano and odd-sod brands on many of the lower-range models of bikes. There are also some uniquely Australian brands that have represented good value new. Avanti (actually a NZ brand) is a good starting point. Then there is Malvern Star (make sure you look at the latest models of this revived brand, not the heavy old "racer" types from 25 years ago), Apollo, and ...., along with the popular imports llke Giant, Felt, and Merida that don't have huge premiums attached to them because they aren't ridden by Tour de France competitors.

Obviously, you will want to narrow your on-line searches down to your local area, which is easy enough to do.

However, be warned... it is very difficult to find a bike that is equipped exactly how you want it, and it is likely that you will need to spend a little to change out the parts... unless you are prepared to adapt to what you have.
Old 06-04-11, 06:22 PM
Bioluminescence
Still a newb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Makel
b/c a triple is not cool (allegedly)
Practicality is my priority. I have a 52/42/36 crank on mine with a 12-25 cassette. I have a great variety of gears at my disposal, plus a granny gear for big hills when I'm tired.

To me, a triple is better than a compact.
Old 06-04-11, 07:10 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Do you not mean 52/42/30?
Old 06-04-11, 07:13 PM
Bioluminescence
Still a newb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Do you not mean 52/42/30?
Gah. Yea, I do.

Thanks for catching that.
Old 06-05-11, 12:10 AM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioluminescence

Because the bike in question comes with a standard crank. To switch to a triple I would have to change the shifter and front derailluer in addition to the crankset itself.