Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Road softening tires for Trek 1200

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 01:13 AM
Isotonic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2003 Trek 1200 with a flat bar. It is an aluminum frame with a carbon fork. I am trying to make it more comfortable for commuting. The problem with the Trek is that it doesn't have much extra space for a larger tire. It has a 700x25 now and looks like it might accommodate a 28, or maybe a 32, but I'm not sure. I am looking for tires that will soften the ride. Has anyone had any success doing this with a Trek 1200? Any other ideas for reducing road chatter with long commutes? Modifications? Thanks!
Old 10-31-11, 06:24 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the best way for you to achieve some shock absorbtion will be to put the fattest tire you can fit. I would imagine if it will handle a 700x25 it will handle a 28. Most will, unless they're race bikes with super tight clearances. The 32 will probably be a tough fit. Ask your bike shop.

I feel for you. Perhaps you should keep your eye out for a nice steel framed touring or cross bike. Maybe even a nice old steel rigid MTB.
Old 10-31-11, 06:42 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Depending on your weight and the weight of the stuff you carry while commuting, you should be able to run 700x25 tires at around 80 or 85 psi. 700x28 might allow 70 to 75 psi. The Trek 1200 has a fairly short wheelbase; any bike with a longer wheelbase and wider tires will seem more comfortable, regardless of frame material.
Old 10-31-11, 06:42 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a fatter tire so you can run it at a lower pressure. That will help with the road chatter more than anything. If you can fit 32s, go for it.
Old 10-31-11, 08:48 AM
Isotonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Are the any particular tire models recommended. Is it true that some tires are wider than tall, and might fit in the space better?
Old 10-31-11, 08:50 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
the Panaracer Pasela TG (TourGuard) offers a really plush ride.
Old 10-31-11, 09:08 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with the tire advice above. Aluminum frames are pretty unforgiving, You could also consider a brooks sprung saddle, like a flyer or similar. If you have the flat bars you are more in the upright position already than drops would be on the 1200, The springs in the seat dampen the little bumps.
Old 10-31-11, 10:22 AM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1200 and I have run 28s under fenders on it before. I used to run on Bonty Hardcases but they can be pretty stiff. What kind of wheels do you have? Stock alexrim? I like to run tires like a Krylion or GP4k but they aren't necessarily commuter tires.

Last edited by pityr; 10-31-11 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-31-11, 07:51 PM
Isotonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the stock wheels which are Matrix Aurora if Bikapedia is correct. I am also considering a soft seat, naybe the Brooks or a Terry. Thanks for the suggestion Canyon eagle.
Old 10-31-11, 08:15 PM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing to take note of; you can often fit a larger tire in the front than the rear. So, you can probably fit a 32 in the front even if the rear only takes a 28.
Old 10-31-11, 08:23 PM
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Trek 1100 (no fenders, but tight clearance anyway) and have bought some 28's for it but haven't put them on yet. The ultrastiff ride I compensated for with a softer saddle, but then I'm pretty light anyway and usually stand slightly over anticipated bumps. It's good to have confirmation that my measuring was accurate and that 32's would probably be too large.
Old 10-31-11, 08:33 PM
Dstrek5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What tire pressure are you running and what is your weight? The biggest thing I have learned over the past 30 yrs is wheels with 32 spokes, like OP's and 25mm tires at 80 psi front and 90 rear gives me the most comfortable ride yet.
Old 11-01-11, 10:11 AM
formicaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what will fit your frame, but tire quality is a big part too. Panaracer tires have always felt the most cushioned to me, even to the point that I thought they felt too cushy. Soma has a panaracer tire developed for them that is like butter in the 32 size. Randoneur tires are often good in this way.
Old 11-01-11, 10:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Any other ideas for reducing road chatter with long commutes? Modifications?
double wrap bars, add gel pouches under the tape.
suspension seat post. and or sprung saddle..

rebuild the wheels around PanTour hubs, which include internal suspension.

NB; what makes for a more supple casing , also reduces its durability and puncture resistance.

so you have to choose, trade, a bit more comfort, for mid commute puncture repairs.
Old 11-03-11, 12:20 AM
Isotonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are really helping me get my head around the problem. The plan is to increase tire size to maximum. Probably 28cm on the front wheel and 32 on the back. I have looked into the Panaracer and Soma tires but have not found a local vendor for them. One favorite LBS has suggested that I go with a tire that has better protection from flats. He says that Gator Skins have a very nice ride to them and they also have a great rep for thorn/glass resistance. What do you guys think? I am also looking for a cushier seat, but understand that the right seat will be a matter of trial and error. Suggestions are welcome anyway. Thanks all!
Old 11-03-11, 05:02 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wider is better of course, but also consider the pressures you want to run. I typically go 10 pounds or so (depending on the tire) lower in the front because there is less weight up there than on the back. For more information on tire width and pressure you can go to rivebike.com. They take a sensible approach to it. (i could not get to the right page on their site today otherwise I would have typed that in, but there is other good info there as well)
Old 11-03-11, 05:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,221 Posts
Gatorskins are pretty nice. I like how they ride.
Old 11-03-11, 06:26 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Michelin makes a fairly low pressure tire, Dynamic (iirc). I believe mine are 87 psi max and they are 700 x 28. You can get 700 x 25 and run 73 to 102 psi.
Old 11-03-11, 11:36 AM
Isotonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Rivbike site is very interesting and very sensible, thanks. I will check out the Michelin tire. I probably need to look at the recommended pressure for the Gatorskin.
Old 11-03-11, 12:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Isotonic
Thanks for the suggestions. Are the any particular tire models recommended.
If you're limited to 25s, Grand Prix 4000 have great ride quality. They're expensive, but you can get them for about half what LBS charges if you buy them from a store in the UK, like Ribble. They're not typically a commuting tire, but, if you can't mount something wider, these feel like they smooth out the pavement a bit. They also grip very well.

Originally Posted by modernjess
I agree with the tire advice above. Aluminum frames are pretty unforgiving, You could also consider a brooks sprung saddle, like a flyer or similar. If you have the flat bars you are more in the upright position already than drops would be on the 1200, The springs in the seat dampen the little bumps.
We understand that you're a Brooks fanboy, but the guy asked about tires, not overpriced saddles that stain your pants when they get wet. Come on, dude, let's try to stay on topic.
Old 11-03-11, 12:30 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you're limited to 25s, Grand Prix 4000 have great ride quality.
+1
For added puncture resistance, the 4-seasons version of this tire is an excellent mix between performance/ride quality and commuting practicality.

Also, FWIW, the OP had asked about saddles, so the other reply was on topic......

Last edited by canyoneagle; 11-03-11 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-03-11, 12:39 PM
soho2009
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some alternatives to new tires:

1. double thick tubes (also marketed as thorn proof) - will smooth out the ride especially at at lower than max psi.

2. saddles like fizik gobi which put some springs in the saddle while maintaining power transfer efficiency.
Old 11-03-11, 12:40 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Isotonic
You guys are really helping me get my head around the problem. The plan is to increase tire size to maximum. Probably 28cm on the front wheel and 32 on the back. I have looked into the Panaracer and Soma tires but have not found a local vendor for them. One favorite LBS has suggested that I go with a tire that has better protection from flats. He says that Gator Skins have a very nice ride to them and they also have a great rep for thorn/glass resistance. What do you guys think? I am also looking for a cushier seat, but understand that the right seat will be a matter of trial and error. Suggestions are welcome anyway. Thanks all!
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
We understand that you're a Brooks fanboy, but the guy asked about tires, not overpriced saddles that stain your pants when they get wet. Come on, dude, let's try to stay on topic.
Don't be a troll.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-03-11, 12:40 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Tires with a higher thread count (TPI) offer a better ride but they're more expensive and sometimes not as durable.

Many people have mentioned tire pressure. I think we are often under the mistaken impression that the most efficient pressure is the max. That is not the case. It all depends on weight. You can often get by with a lower pressure that will not only improve the comfort of your ride, but make the rolling a little easier too.

Somewhere on Sheldon Brown's site there's a chart that lists the optimum pressure for the load on a given tire.
Old 11-15-11, 01:50 AM
Isotonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, based on a lot of research, your fine advice and many good reviews, I decided to see if 32mm Continental Contact tires would fit. I figured I might get them on the back if not the front. Turns out they do fit. The bike is still at the tech's shop, but I will be picking up soon. The Contacts have a reputation for a comfortable ride and they are designed for lower pressure. I will report my findings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.