Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone explain to me these handlebar bags that I keep seeing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-17-20, 01:59 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Hi all,

So I've been out of the scene for years and decided to come back to the source known as BF for the answers. This is not a troll post, very serious here.

Background: Used to ride a lot, still ride a lot but not as much. Working from home the last 6 months has allowed me to ride my bike in the morning whereas I was riding to work before.

The disc brake trend I knew about and that's a can of worms for another thread but what's up with all these people running aero bikes and 50mm+ deep carbon rims running this cylindrical handlebar bag?

Is this a thing now? Is this from IG? Where did this stupidity originate?
Likes For kimconyc:
Old 09-17-20, 02:03 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. What are people storing in there for their road bikes? Bitcoins?
Likes For kimconyc:
Old 09-17-20, 02:08 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I can see for bikepacking, or some type of commuter.
Old 09-17-20, 02:10 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

As you can see from my profile, I don't live in the Swiss Alps.

Many roadies in NYC with aero setups wearing full-on speed suits on a morning ride but with this monstrosity. What's this trend about?
Old 09-17-20, 02:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
What's this trend about?
Big City folk trying to jump on the gravel bandwagon any way they can?

Dunno, seems kind of dumb, though, and can't say that I've seen it here, outside of gravel rides or utility cycling. Now that I think about it, though, I'm pretty sure that I've seen Gaimon with a little bar bag on his IG/Strava/Youtube.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-17-20, 02:29 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
As you can see from my profile, I don't live in the Swiss Alps.

Many roadies in NYC with aero setups wearing full-on speed suits on a morning ride but with this monstrosity. What's this trend about?
It's probable that such a bag is the least invasive way to carry stuff on their wunder-aero bike. I'm not sure they even come with fender mounts at the drop outs anymore.
Rather than wear a pack, or find a way to bolt a rack onto a frame unwilling to accept one (which they'd have to unbolt for more aero later), they strap that onto the bars. 5 minutes later or less, the bike can be fully aero again, no tools involved.
Old 09-17-20, 02:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
They keep their business suit and shoes in it for work.

To sort of hijack this, I see many casual cyclists on the MUP with with a rear rack and a rather large bag on the back. I wonder how much stuff they have in there. It's too big just for your lunch and water. These people are just riding the path.
Old 09-17-20, 02:59 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I usually just ride with a shoulder bag or backpack if I need to carry stuff, but I can see how a handlebar bag like this would be a useful alternative to that, especially on a road bike that doesn't have mounts.

I'm not sure I'd ever wear a skinsuit while riding with a bag. That seems pretty weird. I also don't think I'd ever ride with a skinsuit in any situation outside of a competitive race.
Old 09-17-20, 03:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I usually just ride with a shoulder bag or backpack if I need to carry stuff,.
What kinds of "stuff"? Seriously, if you're just riding and not commuting, what do you need to carry other than a spare tube and some tools?

I do 50+ miles rides and this is all i carry.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-17-20, 03:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm not sure if it is true, but I was told it is the only safe handlebar bag for carbon bars. I have one, but have only used it for bike-packing, and found it to be a PITA.
Old 09-17-20, 03:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Is this a thing now? Is this from IG? Where did this stupidity originate?
New York, apparently?
Old 09-17-20, 03:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
New York, apparently?
I resemble that remark.
Old 09-17-20, 03:57 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Typically you would put some of your heavier stuff in the handlebar bag like a tent, poles, food, cooking system, etc
Old 09-17-20, 04:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Out here where it can be over 100 degrees some of us are using bags or packs to carry extra water and food and even extra tubes. Earlier this year when all club rides were cancelled and many of our food and water sources were closed or we didn't feel like going into a store, especially when alone, we went with bags or Camelbaks.
Old 09-17-20, 04:26 PM
big john

Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Typically you would put some of your heavier stuff in the handlebar bag like a tent, poles, food, cooking system, etc
Personally, I don't like having extra weight on the bar and if I'm going out and need a gallon of water I use 2 bottles and a Camelbak. I tried a bar bag with 2 extra bottles in there but didn't like it.
When I've toured I put the heavy stuff low in the rear panniers.
Old 09-17-20, 04:54 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
If this is such a big issue for some of you , just consider asking folks that have them on the trail . Is communication that out of style???
Now I have the back rack bag along on most every ride. I carry stuff in it. Often there is an old VCR plastic box with my tackle to go along with the 4 pc. UL spinning rod bungied on the top. I also usually have a cotton T shirt and cotton cargo shorts to change into if I find a place to eat or enjoy a cold one. I also usually have a tube, pump and pre-glued patches. I carry 2 metal tire irons that I had shipped from the exotic far east. China lol I'm sure that other stuff would surface if I stired the bag a bit. I've also gotten fond of the Food bag/water bottle bag that attaches to the bar and stem. At 78 yrs old I like to keep a water bottle there to avoid bending over. . If I need to get some weight off I'll leave the bag and skip a couple pizzas. lol Enjoy your ride.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 09-17-20, 04:58 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Big City folk trying to jump on the gravel bandwagon any way they can?

Dunno, seems kind of dumb, though, and can't say that I've seen it here, outside of gravel rides or utility cycling. Now that I think about it, though, I'm pretty sure that I've seen Gaimon with a little bar bag on his IG/Strava/Youtube.
OK this makes the most sense. This has so be some sort of IG "influencer" thing.

I hope for all of your sakes that this trend doesn't catch on.

These are not commuters. They are newer riders with disc brake high end bikes, Rapha or some other high-end IG-kit, wearing skin suits or race clothing yet having this wonky bag in the front.

I've seen several of these riders taking selfies while riding in said above kit. I'm not on social media so trying to find out about this and what the deal is...
Old 09-17-20, 04:58 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by GlennR
What kinds of "stuff"? Seriously, if you're just riding and not commuting, what do you need to carry other than a spare tube and some tools?

I do 50+ miles rides and this is all i carry.
Serious stuff...
I don't carry anything other than a flat kit/multi-tool if I'm "just riding", but I also sometimes ride my bike to do things other than just riding, and like to be able to carry things. I don't actually carry much of anything when commuting to the office (back when we did that), because my commute is short and I just ride in street clothes, but on weekends and evenings I use my bikes for lots of reasons. Sometimes I'm going shopping, visiting friends, going to a park, going to a museum, stopping to get a drink or a meal, running errands, etc. Sometimes I'm combining those activities with longer rides.

Here is some of the "stuff", beyond keys, wallet and phone which usually just fit into my pockets:
  • Anything bought at a retail store
  • Food or drinks or other things, either to stop and eat along the way, or maybe to visit a friend for a meal, or to buy and bring home, etc.
  • Street clothes, a pair of street shoes - useful if I'm planning on doing things with friends/family, and later "take the long way home".
  • Bike locks - in the city this is two U-locks
  • Camera equipment so I can visit interesting places and take photos of interesting things
  • A book so that I can stop and read under a tree in a park
  • A bluetooth speaker so I can listen to music while I read my book
  • A laptop or tablet so I can log into BF and justify my use of a bag on my road bike, or do other things that I might do on a laptop or tablet
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-17-20, 05:03 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

This is what I'm talking about that. But instead of a gravel bike, imagine an S works venge with 80mm aero Enve wheels.

Does this make sense? Who started this stupidity?
Old 09-17-20, 05:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Serious stuff...
I don't carry anything other than a flat kit/multi-tool if I'm "just riding", but I also sometimes ride my bike to do things other than just riding, and like to be able to carry things. I don't actually carry much of anything when commuting to the office (back when we did that), because my commute is short and I just ride in street clothes, but on weekends and evenings I use my bikes for lots of reasons. Sometimes I'm going shopping, visiting friends, going to a park, going to a museum, stopping to get a drink or a meal, running errands, etc. Sometimes I'm combining those activities with longer rides.

Here is some of the "stuff", beyond keys, wallet and phone which usually just fit into my pockets:
  • Anything bought at a retail store
  • Food or drinks or other things, either to stop and eat along the way, or maybe to visit a friend for a meal, or to buy and bring home, etc.
  • Street clothes, a pair of street shoes - useful if I'm planning on doing things with friends/family, and later "take the long way home".
  • Bike locks - in the city this is two U-locks
  • Camera equipment so I can visit interesting places and take photos of interesting things
  • A book so that I can stop and read under a tree in a park
  • A bluetooth speaker so I can listen to music while I read my book
  • A laptop or tablet so I can log into BF and justify my use of a bag on my road bike, or do other things that I might do on a laptop or tablet
Makes sense. So you're not just going out for a ride.

If it wasn't Covid, i'd stop someone and ask to see inside. Yes, I am that creepy guy.
Old 09-17-20, 05:41 PM
msu2001la

This is what I'm talking about that. But instead of a gravel bike, imagine an S works venge with 80mm aero Enve wheels.

Does this make sense? Who started this stupidity?
It makes sense if you own that bike and want to carry stuff while riding it.

Your presumption that it's all about appearances is interesting though. I would tend to think the opposite, that someone using a handlebar bag, particularly on a bike like that, probably doesn't care what others think and finds this to be the most convenient way to carry something. Or maybe they're doing it to just to piss people off.
Old 09-17-20, 05:50 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
Is the sight of the handlebar bag so hideous that it's causing you to crash?
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 09-17-20, 06:25 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Who cares?

Though now I have a new way to annoy people, so thanks for that!
Old 09-17-20, 06:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. What are people storing in there for their road bikes? Bitcoins?
Isn't that just a boom box on a recently stolen bicycle?
Old 09-17-20, 06:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
If you have a diet coke with your snickers bar, it's still 150 calories less than a coke and snickers.
Likes For downtube42:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.