Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2021 Japan Bike Trip

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2021 Japan Bike Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-20, 04:42 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2021 Japan Bike Trip

With all this talk of COVID vaccines in the news, I’m planning a tour across Japan. I have done a couple of bike trips there previously, and had a fantastic time, but there is always more to see, and more people to meet. So, I am going to set off on another end to end trip of Japan in 2021, this time traveling via the areas that I haven’t yet been to 😊. Currently the trip will be two of us, myself and another bloke. It would be great to find a 3rd to come along with us, for some more laughs and conversations.

The plan is to travel from the southern tip of Japan (Sata Misaki) to the northern tip (Soya Misaki), over a period 8-12 weeks. Starting on the 30th of May 2021, and finishing up no later than the 21st of August.

Riding on average 80-120km (50-75mi) a day, at about 20-25km/h (13-15mph), all depending on duration of the trip (8-12 weeks)

Given the trip covers the period of the Olympics, it might be a good chance to watch an event or two.

A bit about me, I'm 30, Australian. Speak a bit of Japanese. I am pretty easy going. Know my way around a bicycle pretty well.

If you’re interested let me know, we can chat a bit more, and discuss the details.

Last edited by azza_333; 11-22-20 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-21-20, 06:34 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Maybe an unwelcomed comment but I live in Japan and I think doing these end to end tours in such a short time is not the best of plans. With 8 weeks I would just do Kyushu, the inland sea etc and do it properly. You can check my youtube channel if you want (waddo), and see some of the amazing places to visit that these end to end rides miss. To do all of Japan I would say a year would be ok. Our tours are usually 2 to 3 weeks and we just cover a small area, though even so I feel it was over ambitious and we had to hurry too much.

Sorry for being off topic but this info may help others planning to come here.
Old 11-21-20, 08:35 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
Maybe an unwelcomed comment but I live in Japan and I think doing these end to end tours in such a short time is not the best of plans. With 8 weeks I would just do Kyushu, the inland sea etc and do it properly. You can check my youtube channel if you want (waddo), and see some of the amazing places to visit that these end to end rides miss. To do all of Japan I would say a year would be ok. Our tours are usually 2 to 3 weeks and we just cover a small area, though even so I feel it was over ambitious and we had to hurry too much.

Sorry for being off topic but this info may help others planning to come here.
Thanks Waddo, I have actually seen a few of your videos previously, its good work, very enjoyable.

I definitely see your point, but I find end to end trips are a better fit for me, traveling across different prefectures (and some of the same) each time I travel. I have never felt rushed on any of my trips, and traveling across the length of the country allows me to get a sampling of the entire country, rather than just spend the whole time on a single island, or a single region. Ideally I would love to take a year to loop the entire country, but that is just time don't have.

If it seems odd that I keep going back to Japan for bicycle tours, my wife is Japanese, so every year or two we travel back to Japan to visit her family, and give the in-laws a chance to spend time with their grand kids. So rather than sit around at the in-laws house, I go on adventures. Its not just all cycling trips through.
Old 11-22-20, 09:33 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
....If it seems odd that I keep going back to Japan for bicycle tours.....
Doesnt seem odd to me. I loved bike touring around Kyushu in 2019, and I'm surprised Japan isnt widely considered a top bike touring destination. Cant wait to go back. But I'm more of a dig-in and explore kind of rider than a through-rider. I like to stay in interesting spots 2 or 3 nights and do day rides in various directions before moving on again.
Old 11-29-20, 06:30 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
dgodave, that's a very interesting way of touring. Never thought of it but it's like regular holidays where you have a base (hotel) for a few days and visit the places in the area. I'm planning our new year tour now and I will keep that in mind.
Old 11-30-20, 03:50 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
Doesnt seem odd to me. I loved bike touring around Kyushu in 2019, and I'm surprised Japan isnt widely considered a top bike touring destination.
A lot of people would love to bike tour around Japan. The great urban roads, forest roads, rich culture, delicious food and people’s views toward cyclists make Japan a great destination. My partner and I visited Tokyo and Kyoto in 2013 and can’t wait to take our bikes there. What’s holding us back is the thought of how expensive Japan can be — hotels, eating out, trains, etc. We are now at the age of wanting to rest in comfort after a hard on the bike so tent camping is out of the question. Everytime I mention Japan to my partner, the objection is cost. In the last 5 years we have been going to Europe (Italy, France and soon Portugal/Spain) where you can still manage to find good deals and the roads, countryside, foods are also of great appeal.

Given the Olympics in 2021 and the number of tourists it may attract driving up prices, Japan is again out of the question for us.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 11-30-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 06:03 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Can you experienced Japan visitors tell us - I’ve been told by a few people that travel in more remote, small towns, countryside Japan isn’t really more expensive than equivalently dense parts of Europe. True, not true? Let’s leave aside plane travel and big cities for now.
Old 12-01-20, 08:45 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
A lot of people would love to bike tour around Japan. The great urban roads, forest roads, rich culture, delicious food and people’s views toward cyclists make Japan a great destination. My partner and I visited Tokyo and Kyoto in 2013 and can’t wait to take our bikes there. What’s holding us back is the thought of how expensive Japan can be — hotels, eating out, trains, etc. We are now at the age of wanting to rest in comfort after a hard on the bike so tent camping is out of the question. Everytime I mention Japan to my partner, the objection is cost. In the last 5 years we have been going to Europe (Italy, France and soon Portugal/Spain) where you can still manage to find good deals and the roads, countryside, foods are also of great appeal.

Given the Olympics in 2021 and the number of tourists it may attract driving up prices, Japan is again out of the question for us.
Perhaps it depends on where you go in Japan. I found touring around Kyushu staying in cheaper hotels and Airbnbs pretty affordable. Much cheaper than my England bike tour. Definitely a no-camping tour for me. Tokyo and Kyoto would be way more expensive I imagine, as they are the most visited spots. Thats one reason I skipped them entirely for my first Japan trip. Maybe Kyushu would be even cheaper with everyone looking north to the Olympics?
Old 12-01-20, 09:34 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by fourfa
Can you experienced Japan visitors tell us - I’ve been told by a few people that travel in more remote, small towns, countryside Japan isn’t really more expensive than equivalently dense parts of Europe. True, not true? Let’s leave aside plane travel and big cities for now.
Some raw hotel numbers for Kyushu early May 2019. Single traveler. My first few nights:
Fukuoka $55/nite decent modest hotel in a good location (Fuk. is a big city)
Kitsuki $35 Airbnb, whole upstairs apt
Takeda $50 modest business hotel
Takachiho $50 BnB
Miyazaki $50 Airbnb whole small apt
Obi $25 private room in hostel

I also ate a lot of $7 okinomiyakis +beer for dinner. But other times I might spend $25 eating some fancier stuff.
Likes For dgodave: