Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 09:02 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Road Rage

Anyone get road rage on a bicycle, or seen it happen? Yesterday I got into an altercation with a truck heading into a parking lot and looking back am not impressed with my behavior, but cars honking their horn at me when theyre in the wrong really gets me going.
Old 08-02-22, 09:04 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Depends when the disturbed drivers wake up or go to bed. It happens.
Old 08-02-22, 09:06 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Anyone get road rage on a bicycle, or seen it happen? Yesterday I got into an altercation with a truck heading into a parking lot and looking back am not impressed with my behavior, but cars honking their horn at me when theyre in the wrong really gets me going.
Was the truck trying to beat you to a dumpster?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-02-22, 09:14 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
It happens occasionally. It occurred more often before I used a helmet camera. Those who aren't deterred by cameras typically find themselves on the business end of a police officer.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 08-02-22, 09:17 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Was the truck trying to beat you to a dumpster?
You beat me to it. While you were typing, I was looking on the Google for the right picture.

Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-02-22, 09:18 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Then there is the ol' MUP rage!

gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 08-02-22, 09:23 AM
LarrySellerz

both of us waited at a red light for like 2 minutes, and then there was a short striaght before a turnoff into a parking lot. Dude honks hard at me to get out of the way on the short straight, and after I do I catch up to him when he's trying to turn and cut him off, parking in front of him and confront him as to why he honked at me. A few words were exchanged before I let him go, but then I followed him to where he parked and made fun of him when he dropped his keys as he got out of the car. Told him it was karma.

Looking back my behavior was shameful and embarrassing but whatever. I just get weirdly heated at cars when im on my bike, ive never gotten into a fight or punched someone in my life, a pacifist to a fault, so this is not typical behavior from me.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 08-02-22 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I sometimes play chicken with oncoming cars passing other oncoming cars on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Maybe that's a sort of road rage on my part! I'll probably lose on day if I continue to do stupid stuff like that.
Old 08-02-22, 09:29 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Old 08-02-22, 09:33 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
... I followed him to where he parked and made fun of him when he dropped his keys as he got out of the car.
Wow, you really burned that guy! He'll never go out in public after that massive embarrassment.
Old 08-02-22, 09:44 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
This went from a truck to a car in 7 posts…….I’m out!
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 08-02-22, 09:46 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by 05 fuji
This went from a truck to a car in 7 posts…….I’m out!
It was a pickup truck to be precise
Old 08-02-22, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
both of us waited at a red light for like 2 minutes, and then there was a short striaght before a turnoff into a parking lot. Dude honks hard at me to get out of the way on the short straight, and after I do I catch up to him when he's trying to turn and cut him off, parking in front of him and confront him as to why he honked at me. A few words were exchanged before I let him go, but then I followed him to where he parked and made fun of him when he dropped his keys as he got out of the car. Told him it was karma.

Looking back my behavior was shameful and embarrassing but whatever. I just get weirdly heated at cars when im on my bike, ive never gotten into a fight or punched someone in my life, a pacifist to a fault, so this is not typical behavior from me.
I yell back and won't back down if someone does something threatening like get out of their car, but I'm not intentionally getting into someone's way or following them. Nothing good is ever going to come of that.

When someone starts yelling at me from inside a car when we're stopped at a light, I will deliberately act like a crazed very angry person, but that's as a deterrent to keep them in their car. .
Old 08-02-22, 09:50 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
"But I was in the right!!" - always looks good on a headstone. Suck it up - you're on a bicycle surrounded by cars
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-02-22, 10:20 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
A fight you don't have is a fight you won. I don't get into confrontations with anyone if I can avoid it. Lots of people in Wyoming carry weapons and are short tempered.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 08-02-22, 10:57 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from General to A&S.

Old 08-02-22, 12:37 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I don't experience too much of road rage, but of course it happens to us all. However, what I do experience with much more frequency is bad driving. There's this one road that does have a bike lane, but is six lanes across and the speed limit is 55 45-mph (although, we all know they go at least 55).

This roadway has tons of shopping centers, car dealerships and many other turn-offs for vehicles to make, so as you would expect, I have to be on my guard for Right Hooks -- and I deal with them a lot on this particular road.

Just the other day, I was going ~20-mph and I see this car coming from behind me and I know they're going to attempt to pass me to make a right in front of me (she did NOT use her signal), with a line of cars (about 2 or 3) already going much slower, because they are turning. And sure enough, she passes me and suddenly slows way down with me just 100-feet from the turning point going very fast. Because I'm use to this I was already preparing to take the lane behind her --- that's a major reason I use a mirror, I need complete awareness of everything around me.

As she started to make the turn, I saw that little old lady do a half-ass check behind her for me, but I was already in the middle of the lane. I would easily have hit here if I stayed in the bike lane.

I don't think she meant to do it (cut me off), I think most people just don't understand how fast cyclist go, as opposed to most other recreational riders.

P.S. Despite her not using her turn signal, I just get a feel for when drivers are going to do something squirrely that's how I knew there was a very good possibility of her turning -- that just comes with miles and miles of riding. She could easily have slowed down and allowed me to pass the intersection first, but like I said above, I don't think she realized how fast I was going.

Old 08-02-22, 12:56 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't think she realized how fast I was going..
driver's know, they also know how to play it off to make other's believe they "weren't aware, omg!"
Old 08-02-22, 01:23 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
driver's know, they also know how to play it off to make other's believe they "weren't aware, omg!"
I'm sure there are a few, but that's another good thing about being a good bike handler...I don't freak out, I smoothly transition in the presences of a threat and that takes away from their attempt to get a rise out of me. Kind of like when someone yells, Boo and you just look back at them with no reaction and zero ounce of respect.
Old 08-02-22, 01:31 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by work4bike
I'm sure there are a few, but that's another good thing about being a good bike handler...I don't freak out, I smoothly transition in the presences of a threat and that takes away from their attempt to get a rise out of me. Kind of like when someone yells, Boo and you just look back at them with no reaction and zero ounce of respect.
no rise nor reaction, but the inconsiderate & inconveniencing part is what makes it disturbing.
Old 08-02-22, 01:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
And then there is River Rage....

As in the Apple River stabbing incident. That guy was also creeping on young girls. Didn't end well for any of them.
Old 08-03-22, 08:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
It was a pickup truck to be precise
Was it a Ford or Chevy or some imported thing? Also what parking lot? How far apart are the spaces? How many disabled spots? Any speed humps? Are the spaces angled or straight on? Any cart corrals? How many lights in the parking lot? How many keys on his key ring? Also one final one after your sick burn did you call him an ambulance or did he die from those 4th degree burns?
Old 08-03-22, 08:21 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Was it a Ford or Chevy or some imported thing? Also what parking lot? How far apart are the spaces? How many disabled spots? Any speed humps? Are the spaces angled or straight on? Any cart corrals? How many lights in the parking lot? How many keys on his key ring? Also one final one after your sick burn did you call him an ambulance or did he die from those 4th degree burns?
Really don't know what youre trying to say. I told him "thats karma!" after he dropped his keys (I was going my own way but decided to follow him to his parking spot to talk more trash. I am not proud of this action.) and he called after me, he was like "karma for what dropping my keys??" like im an idiot for pointing that out to him and I was like "yeah thats karma bro dont honk at cyclists" and then bounced. I made this thread wondering if others experience road rage on a bike similar to how people experience it in cars, im normally a super passive nonaggressive person.
Old 08-03-22, 08:25 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Looking back my behavior was shameful and embarrassing but whatever.
Did you say bad words or throw a bird?

Old 08-04-22, 06:49 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Did you say bad words or throw a bird?
No but I briefly held up traffic to talk smack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.