Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 02-08-22, 06:18 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 71 Witcomb, 76 Masi, 77 C Laing, 80 Jack Taylor, 78 Ritchey, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 126 Posts
67 yrs
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Road bikes only
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Yep, a little bit, have to pay attention to rest and recovery periods after big rides.
4. How long have you been biking? Road biking whole adult life. Not a racer, just a sport rider.
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Road bike only. Multi-day tours once or twice per year about a week long. Routine is (1) 50mi+ 5Kft, (1) 30mi/3Kft, (3) pleasure spin, (2) days off per week. As summer riding season approaches, that all bumps up 110 miles per week to 150 miles + depending on what is coming up.

6. How often do you bike? 5-6 days per week. Your approximate annual mileage? 5500 - 6000miles, and about 500K ft
Old 02-08-22, 06:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Age 61

Soma Fog Cutter I use for general sport riding and randonneuring.
MTB for playing around.
CX bike for utility/commuter miles and racing CX (badly).
Volae Recumbent formerly my randonneuring bike, now languishing as I've gone upright.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Started Calcium/D after breaking my neck. They told me I had ostopenia, so I'm taking this combo.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

So many things have changed it's hard to say. I moved from the flat midwest to the PNW. I've switched from recumbent to upright. No doubt I'm slower because age is real, but it's hard to measure.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Since I was 8.

Randonneuring is my focus; I do a 200 km or longer every month, a full SR series every year. I try to have a grand brevet to focus on for each year - that's 1200km or longer.
Shorter recreational rides, 0-50 miles or so, between the rando rides.
Play around in the woods on the MTB occasionally, but I have no skills to speak of.
A few CX races in the season, getting spanked in the 60+ group.
A few crit races in the 60+, 200+, or Cat 4 categories, also getting dropped like a bad habit.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Pre-COVID it was 6 days/week with my commute. Now it's 2-5 days/week. I'm doing some indoor hours in the cold/rain but pretty much hate every minute.
Around 5k/yr consistently.
Old 02-23-22, 08:54 AM
swampyankee2 

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Please tell us your age. Almost 66

Whatever they want. Personally, I ride mostly road, bike trails and a bit of gravel. Old Trek MTB, Specialized hybrid, working on a vintage road bike/tourer, tinkering with a Raleigh Sports just for around town.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Multivitamin, Fish oil, Vit. C, Turmeric, and whatever else my herbalist daughter-in-law recommends

Hit a wall at 61. Not biked much since. Waiting for spring to see what I got left in the tank.

Always an enthusiast. Ridden off and on most of my life. At times a commuter, fitness regimen, social rider. Not so much in the last 5 years (see above) ;(

Rec/social rides with wife, +/- 25 miles, then 1 hour runs around town

N/A
Old 02-25-22, 03:59 PM
Overdraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Older than dirt

63¼
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I've just picked up a new 2021 Trek Madone SL6. Why would I buy a mildly fancy aero road bike when I can only generate 125 watts? Because it LOOKS BADASS. I'm totally a poser on the bike...

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Negative
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Quite a bit. When I was younger, before I got out of cycling I could easily ride at a medium pace for say, 4 hours, and now I'm finding that at about an hour and a half I'm looking for the coffee shop / quickest way home.
4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Ignoring riding as a kid in school, I got into it when I was in my mid to late-20s... kept it up for maybe 10 years? and then was out of it until last year when I got sucked in by a group of friends and began to do a bit more (trained for a local 60K race).
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Road riding 30-40km
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? we'll see this coming year! Last year when I got back into it we were doing training rides one to twice a week, but it wasn't a full year so I don't have an annual mileage figure, although I do have a question as to why we're fully committed to metric, but still say 'mileage'?
See you out there!
Likes For Overdraft:
Old 03-16-22, 01:30 AM
pedal_monkey

Bikes: 2021 Commencal FCB; 2004 GT Ruckus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm a 51 year old from Western Australia who just found and joined Bike Forum.

I currently ride a Commencal FCB, setup for the odd commuting/weekend gravel ride - partypace stuff

None

Definitely slowed down, once I hit 50 (am 52 this year)

Been biking all my life, started in my teens on a Raleigh chopper, then progressed on to mountain biking. Took along hiatus for many many years due to family. Got back to cycling in late 2020 when I decided to get a new bike. Was training and building up toward my goal of bikepacking when I had an accident with multiple injuries in Oct 2021 and I am just back on the bike since Mar 2021, but recovery has been slow.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. -
Currently short rides, but I hope to do day trips/microadventure type backpacking trips one day.

Whenever I can, I don't really keep mileage count...
Old 03-16-22, 06:23 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Please tell us your age.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?.
How is it that I just saw this thread?
Okay, here goes: to start, I'm entering my 7th decade (It sounds a lot younger than saying I'm 70)
1) I have two road bikes (endurance), both carbon fiber, one with mechanical Ultegra (now relegated to my smart trainer and Zwift), and one with Ultegra Di2.
2) Nope. Just my prescribed heart medications.
3) A lot. I used to long distance tour and race bikes in my 20s, could average 20mph on a "fun" ride for a century. But, after taking a job 90 minutes away (each way) there wasn't a lot of time left for riding, and I got out of shape, eventually leading to a heart attack in my 40s. Now I'm happy to maintain a 14-15 mph pace, and keep my heart rate in it's "happy zone" to make my cardiologist smile at my checkups. No KOMs or Strava segment leaderboards for me.
4) Started as a kid on a JC Higgins 20". In my teens I saved up enough from summer jobs to get a decent Raleigh 10 speed, and eventually turned that into my 'race' bike with wheel and component upgrades. Touring bike was a custom Romic that I rode all over New England, and bike toured/camped through Nova Scotia. A long period off the bike (see above) but now back on in my 60s to keep me healthy.
5) Shorter rides (<50 miles) now. A lot of Zwifting. I'm retired, and have the time to ride during the day, but my wife won't allow me to ride solo outside on the road ever since I got hit by a distracted driver a few years ago. She worries about me, and my term life policy expired.
6) I try to ride at least 3 times a week, with a day off for rest in between. I'll ride between 1500 - 2000 miles a year.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 03-16-22 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-20-22, 02:36 PM
JamesLam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish I Saw This Thread Ten Years Ago.

I'll be 60 this fall.

Oh, just picking up old 'stuff' like an old GT, Raleigh and something else (I have no idea what it is). Not sure where this will take me but I figured for now to have a few options for torquing around while I clean up a few others.

No, though I have been vegan for the past 5 years. For me that has had a very positive impact on my health. I used to take off the shelf allergy medication almost daily. Once I went vegan my allergies cleared completely and other than a few sniffles I haven't a cold or flu this entire time.

In winter I play hockey a few times a week as well as sculling in the warmer months. When I'm playing hockey with the younger folk, sure I'm not so fast anymore, but I still try and surprise myself every now and again. For the rowing, I took most of the past 30 years and spent it in a coach boat so I have been redeveloping my skills during the past few years. So, even though I have slowed down I know I can get faster.

Old enough that as a kid if you wanted to get somewhere you would grab your bike and go. Parents were smarter back then and didn't drive you absolutely everywhere. Just be home by the time the street lights came on. As a teenager, once you got a car, the bike was toast. I had a few bikes as an adult but they seemed to get scooped by someone and the enthusiasm would be lost. Occasionally I would follow a bunch of my crews during regattas and did a little recreational biking here and there but nothing consistent.

Just getting back at it. So I will be riding to work now that the weather is reasonable. A few of us are riding a Quebec rail trail in June for four days so that is what I am really preparing for. Any tips and words of wisdom or last rites would be greatly appreciated.

It will be hard to say how this develops. I'm close to some things but too far from others so I'll have to really make a point to get out and ride. It will be hard to convince myself to ride to rowing practice at 5:00 am and then ride home after sitting uncomfortably in a coach boat for two hours. I have been dragging the family into this as well with great enthusiasm from all so hopefully we can make riding a key aspect of our daily routine.
Old 03-22-22, 01:25 PM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I’m 77 years old and I ride a Catrike Expedition with around 35000 miles on it, most of it documented. Nowadays, I normally ride two rides a week, 40/50 miles with an average speed between 13 and 14.5 MPH. I am in Florida, so my rides are pretty flat. Last year I rode a total of 2500 miles. That’s a serious downgrade from my previous years, so the age has had an effect. In 2016, I rode 4500 miles with an average speed of 15.5 MPH. That included a two-way ride on the Florida keys trail, a hundred miles each way. I did that in three days. That year I was riding 70+ miles twice a week and several times I finished my ride with 40 miles at over 18MPH and a one time, 20 miles at 19.1. I once did a 10 stretch at 20MPH. (Sigh) those days are past.

I ride solo since my wife has forsaken real outdoor rides for her Catrike Pocket on an indoor Sports Crafter roller. I never do group rides and strongly object to riding partners and drafting requests.
Old 05-02-22, 05:16 PM
adgadg2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Had a custom Independent Fabrication bike that was recently mangled in an auto accident and replaced with a new Cannondale CAAD13 Sram Disc Axis.

No, but I do try to eat a very healty diet.

Rode about 60-70 miles a day 25 years ago; now about 40-50 miles a day.

Pretty much my entire life.

Recreational day rides and credit card touring. Have done eight 8-day tours in Europe, twenty five or so 5/8-day tours in the US, mostly in New England, and a bunch of simple overnight rides here in Connecticut.

Once a week back when I was working, twice a week now, but here in New England biking is only 6-7 months of the year. Probably around 1500 miles a year.
Old 05-22-22, 06:35 PM
Roadhawg
Razza 4.0

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 4.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hello from Southern Arizona

Please tell us your age.

I have a 2011 Tirenno Razza 4.0 that I stumbled upon about five years ago, while looking at used bikes, and it was love at first sight!

Every day!

I haven't really slowed down in anything, it's just much harder now to keep up ... 😉

Pretty much my entire life, but I've never owned a bike as nice as the one I have now.

Other than my solo morning jaunts around town, I enjoy recreational rides with others when I happen across them.

Every day; 10-20 miles a week and sometimes I get a few extra miles in on the weekend.
Old 06-23-22, 02:24 PM
BarbarianDiva

Bikes: 1991 Yankee USA bicycle, 2022 Trek Verve 1, 2010 Gary Fisher Cobia MTB, 1999 Klein Attitude V, 2022 Aventon Aventure, 1980's Huffy Good Vibrations cruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some questions:
Please tell us your age.
Nearly 64

I have a Trek Verve 1 and an Aventon Aventure step-thru ebike

I take supplements to keep my heart happy. Vitamin E and Co-Q10

I've had to slow down to keep my heart rate below 120. I'd been a ballz 2 the wallz type all my life until now.

I stopped after a child's bike seat I had borrowed broke, flipping my infant daughter on her head. It was before the backs were above head level of the kids, so she was injured. I started riding again about 10 years ago or so.

My longest rides have been 20 miles. I went on my first group ride last Sunday. It was.. interesting. I ride solo usually.

I bike whenever the weather is nice. I try to go at least 10 miles each time. I'm not sure about annual mileage.
Old 07-27-22, 07:29 PM
noonan

Bikes: '22 Canyon Endurace 6, '96 Gary Fisher Montare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age.

Canyon Endurace 6 and a 1997 Fisher hard tail MTB for JRA

Not yet. Coffee still works.

Plans are to do some of the longest rides of my life in the next 4-5 years

Before a drivers license it was all the time, then fell off after college. Picking it back up now.

Morning/evening shakeouts, errands, occasional work commutes, 1-2 hour weekend club rides and whatever training it takes to do some 80-90 mile treks to visit my kids in their college towns

TBD, but it's going to be mixed with running so best guess is maybe 1500mi in the first year.
Old 08-21-22, 05:23 PM
442dude

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Trek 800. Liv Sedona DX (hers)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
​​​​​

​​​Plase tell us your age.

2016 Giant Cypress DX and a late 80s Trek 800

Just the pills my doctor tells me to take...I like coffee before during and after rides. No sugar and a tiny drop of French vanilla creamer please.

I think I get faster and stronger each year and even more since heart surgery. Not ready to admit to slowing down yet.

Have biked on and off as time permitted my whole life. The older I get the more I do it.

From around town to rail trails up to 50 miles at a clip. Mostly by myself.

As often as I can as long as its above 35 degrees F. Prob about 900 miles a year on the road and the rest of the time in my basement on a stationary bike.
Old 08-30-22, 09:27 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 76 Posts
1.1994 Raleigh MT200 and 2022 Windsor Tourist
2.No supplements.
3.Not too much,worked outdoors on my feet in my carreer.
4.Just started riding in January but hadn’t truly ridden since i was a kid.
5.10 miles around town every day it’s not storming with some 20-30 highway rodes.Going to start solo bikepacking soon.
6. I try to ride every day,on track to make 2000 miles in my first year(2022).

Last edited by Imaginos; 08-30-22 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-24-22, 07:17 PM
Slick92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple. A 2012 Cannondale Adventure 3 and a 2022 Gravity FSX.

I have a slew of blood pressure and cholesterol medication plus B vitamins, fiber, Omegas, and CoQ10.

I have not and have been getting faster.

Besides teens to 20s, only for about 5 years.

15 miles is a medium ride. 25 is long. I get about 5-8 miles in 3 to 4 times a week.

3 to 4 times a week. 750-1000 mi annually (so far).

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

60 years old (last week).
Old 10-10-22, 08:58 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
1. Verve 3, and Cannondale Adventure
2. Vit. D, Magnesium
3. Guess I have slowed some. Stamina certainly isn't the same.
4. Lots as a kid. None during my working years. Started biking at retirement 3 years ago.
5. Most rides are between 20 and 30 miles. A long ride is between 40 and 50. All my riding is on rail trails.
6. Couple of times a week. Around 1000 a year. Thats not counting time on the trainer in the winter months.
Old 10-22-22, 11:22 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Update
M, 56, NM

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Ones with wheels. Lots of Freds on 'nice' road bikes; e-bikes; hybrids. Gravel.

Blood thinner and statins.

Had a major stroke this past April. It has cut speed and endurance; there were other challenges the first 90 days (balance; risk of what would happen if I fell).

51 years.

Now I am 'rehabbing,' so 1-1.5 hour rides between 15-20 mph.

5-6x/week; typically 6k miles. This year closer to 4k.

Bottom line: glad I'm not a "performance" person at this point in life. I just try to keep fit, and enjoy the use of my body. I was told by my stroke team that my relatively high level of cardio fitness may have saved my life during my stroke, as the circulatory system apparently compensated really well for the lack of function where the infarction was.

My dad is 88, dealing with Stage 4 metastisized cancer, is still riding several times a week. His chemo is going well. I know of many physical (esp orthogenetic) risks associated with cycling, but a reminder: it really can make a huge difference as you age.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 10-25-22, 10:14 AM
bliorg

Bikes: 2006 Felt F75, 1985 Miyata Pista, 1983 Fuji del Rey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age.
53/54-ish

1983 Fuji del Rey, 2006 Felt F75, 2019 Trek FX3 Disc. There's also a Miyata Pista, but that's a long story...

L-o-t-s of caffeine.

I refuse to believe that age has slowed me down at all. Intervals of inactivity, sedentary lifestyle, and poor diet, though, have conspired ag'in me.

Entire life, with some gaps. Spent a number of years running, but am finding it's a bit too rough on my body at my current state of fitness. Wife and I are spending more and more time together on bikes, and that's nice for many reasons.

Mostly shorter rec rides with some middling distances thrown in occasionally. Plans to up that significantly next year.

Not near enough on both counts.
Old 11-03-22, 09:44 AM
PQNewby

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Santa Cruz Blur, Trek Checkpoint SL6 Etap Poseidon X, 1971 Schwinn Suburban 5 Speed in Sierra Brown (undergoing restoration), 1999 Scattante 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 61

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Every kind.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Handful of vitamins/supplements, mostly anitoxidants and COQ10. No meds.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Massively. I did triathlons before kids, dropped riding for 22 years while attending kid sports every week, and picked it back up about 5 years ago.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Rode everywhere as a kid, paper route etc, and was the only kid in my neighborhood with a 10 speed. Cars took over, 15 years in the military, then triathlons in my 30's.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Lucky enough to live right next to 75 miles worth of excellent mountain bike trails, and bike lanes. try to do at least one 50+ mile ride a week.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Two outside and two inside weekly. Faithfully. Probably 4k a year outside.
Old 12-08-22, 06:37 AM
inaminit

Bikes: They seem to be breeding

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please tell us your age. 54

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Road & TT

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Multivitamin & immune booster on alternating days. protien powder each training day

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? faster at 50 than ever before through structured training. slowed dramatically over past 2 years with injuries, illnesses, life, the universe etc

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Rode until I got a car at 17 and discovered beer. got back into it in early 20's for a year or so. Re-discovered my love of the bike 20years ago in my mid 30's and haven't stopped since

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Usually try for a couple of 1hr + rides mid week and 3+ hr rides on weekends. Love long races

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? the last 18 months, very little maybe once or twice a week due to illness & injuries. When I'm healthy, usually 4/5 times a week about 12-15,000km/year
Old 02-13-23, 08:45 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Well, this 50+ rides: SWB recumbent. Road bike. Folding bike. Cruiser winter bike. Recumbent tandem. Crank Forward. Classic club bike. Rod brake roadster. MTB. Sometimes I tow my cargo trailer.

Only the Calcium/D and Iron that my doctor ordered. I am not a member of the supplements church.

A lot. I was never fast, but I slowed down significantly, starting around age 55. So I got a faster bike to make up the difference. I do still have good endurance.

I am a lifelong cyclist.

Mostly day rides, 10-40 miles, but also short, medium and epic tours. (Trans Am last year.) i get my groceries and run other errands by bike all year, even in the winter.

3-6 times per week during all 12 months. In a typical year, I ride around 3,000 miles.

I turned 71 last month.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 06-26-23, 03:20 PM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 25 Posts
Please tell us your age.
Turning 58 in July.

I have 2 "hybrid" bicycles, a Specialized Crosstrail and Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0.

Nope.

I feel I need to slow down. Since resuming cycling almost 3 years ago, I have been pedaling like a psycho (power and cadence). Recent rides with my wife have illuminated and burned in the need to keep a decent cadence and power levels, rides are so much more enjoyable. As is the remainder of the day/evening since I'm not completely spent.

Childhood into my late 20's, picked it back up in 2020. So a layoff of around 30 years (gulp).

Recreational, anywhere from 10-30 miles at least 5 days a week. I prefer to ride dirt trails, "gravel," but live in suburbia so weekday rides are +75% pavement. Weekend rides tend to be +75% dirt/gravel.

5 days a week on average, doing over 2000 mi/year
Old 06-26-23, 03:48 PM
BarbarianDiva

Bikes: 1991 Yankee USA bicycle, 2022 Trek Verve 1, 2010 Gary Fisher Cobia MTB, 1999 Klein Attitude V, 2022 Aventon Aventure, 1980's Huffy Good Vibrations cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
I'll be 65 in August

Trek Verve 1, Aventon Aventure, Yankee USA, Aostirmotor, Huffy Good Vibrations cruiser

Glucosamine/Chondroitin

I have two new knees, one is still weak. I was faster when I limped and wobbled.

Since childhood. I biked all over the place in the late 70's and early 80's, egged on by the movie "Breaking Away."

I do urban biking with a local group, and longer rail trail rides with a friend. Thirty miles is my longest ride so far.

I try to bike daily when the weather is dry and above freezing. Average was 500 miles, but I've recently retired.
Old 06-26-23, 10:54 PM
Desert63

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a low end hybrid cruiser, that I have managed to do virtually everything on.

yes, its a problem, a big problem, too many.

yep.

Desert BMX as a kid, "10 speed" in highschool. Didnt ride for 35 years due to nuts in cars. Started again a couple of years ago and love it, but I avoid the road.

Virtual online riding, bike paths-the longest ones I can find, light downhill.

7 days a week for weeks on end, then not for weeks on end, depending on time and weather.
Old 07-03-23, 03:16 PM
graemesmith
MAMIL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 3, Giant Expressway II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
North of 60 years

Older Giant Defy Advanced - customized with ZIPP carbon wheelset and early generation Di2 10 speed groupset.

No

Back into roadbiking recently after a 9 year lay off. I feel slower - but my Strava stats after 6 months say I am back where I was in 2014.

4. How long have you been biking? Road biking whole adult life. Not a racer, just a sport rider.

12 years old - that was how I commuted to go sailing. 16 mile round trip to sailing club
Early 20's it was a 52 mile round trip
Early 2010's back into road biking for fun

5. What type of biking do you do?

Early morning before work for cardio.
If weather is against going out - on a fixed bike on porch - set up to mimic road bike
or
On Road Bike on rollers on garage.
Solo for my own satisfaction - challenging myself.
Group rides tend to be community fundraiser/charity rides - don't go out with the club pack

6. How often do you bike? 5-6 days per week. Your approximate annual mileage? 5500 - 6000miles, and about 500K ft

5-6 days a week.
Daily 10 mile minimum.
Aim for 80 miles a week

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.