Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dum Commuter

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dum Commuter

Old 12-10-22, 05:40 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Dum Commuter

I was going in early yesterday to catch up on some extra work that had came in. At the edge of the Business park (Where the office is at.) I saw another commuter coming at me in the dark! No lights on, no reflecting gear...nothing. The only way I saw him was by the light of his cig. Has anyone else seen (Or done.) Dum stuff on the road?
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 12-10-22, 07:26 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,624 Times in 944 Posts
Lots. Pedestrians too.
Old 12-10-22, 07:40 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I was going in early yesterday to catch up on some extra work that had came in. At the edge of the Business park (Where the office is at.) I saw another commuter coming at me in the dark! No lights on, no reflecting gear...nothing. The only way I saw him was by the light of his cig. Has anyone else seen (Or done.) Dum stuff on the road?
Was driving the car back from the grocery, the other morning, along a narrow two-lane road. A few cars parked along the edge of the road. Sun wasn't yet up, and it was foggy. And there was this guy cycling along in dark clothing, on a dark-colored bike, with no reflectors and without a clue, salmoning wrong-way right up the lane. (I was lucky to have seen him, just barely.) Road has some curves and elevation changes. He was playing with "fire," there. Altogether likely to get run down, before someone could see him properly.

Closer to town, a good ~dozen times a month I see people in the wee hours cycling as though there wasn't anything to worry about, going the wrong direction, failing to take any measures to be seen, crossing multiple lanes blindly without first looking, etc.

Plenty of people get run over, run into, cause crashes of others, and the cyclist-involved traffic stats show it. Pitiful, the portion that is entirely avoidable and caused by such mindless behavior.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 12-10-22 at 08:45 AM. Reason: clarity
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 12-10-22, 07:42 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 842 Posts
every single day I see people do stupid stuff. heck people out at night, no lights, dressed in dark clothing and smoking probably up to no good.....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-10-22, 08:37 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Almost every morning on my way to town in the dark, I see a female jogger dressed in black clothing on the rural 55 mph road. I don't understand.
Old 12-10-22, 09:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Old 12-10-22, 10:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
every single day I see people do stupid stuff. heck people out at night, no lights, dressed in dark clothing and smoking probably up to no good.....
Judgemental much?

Smoking? OMG!!
Old 12-10-22, 10:45 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Stealth commuters.

We have a very large immigrant population in my neck of the woods, hard working people, many have to be at work very early, so they are often riding when it's dark out, many bike commute as cars are expensive to purchase and insure. Typically cycling with no lights, usually dark clothing, only occasionally a safety vest, they ride everywhere - sidewalks, wrong way in traffic, back and forth. No real skills or thought as to riding safely. They also get hit and killed on a steady basis. Sad, an effort could and should be made by local governments to get these guys things like safety lights, visible clothing, and some basic education on riding safely.

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-10-22 at 11:52 AM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-10-22, 11:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Four or five years ago during a cross country trailer trip, we stopped at the Las Vegas KOA for an overnight. It was November. We saw a ton of people on bikes of all kinds, with lights, doing neighborhood things. It surprised me. The Vegas suburbs were not a place I expected to see people on bikes after dark at all, much less being good with it
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-10-22, 12:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Stealth commuters.

We have a very large immigrant population in my neck of the woods, hard working people, many have to be at work very early, so they are often riding when it's dark out, many bike commute as cars are expensive to purchase and insure. Typically cycling with no lights, usually dark clothing, only occasionally a safety vest, they ride everywhere - sidewalks, wrong way in traffic, back and forth. No real skills or thought as to riding safely. They also get hit and killed on a steady basis. Sad, an effort could and should be made by local governments to get these guys things like safety lights, visible clothing, and some basic education on riding safely.
I used to volunteer at a bike Co op, and we had a lights and helmets program funded by the local hospital. After a while i concluded giving bike lights to someone who couldn't afford them was not effective. They generally had much bigger problems; dealing with batteries, charging, and theft was not something they needed to add to their already stressed lives. They faced much bigger threats than being hit by a car.
Old 12-10-22, 01:08 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 842 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Judgemental much?

Smoking? OMG!!
damn rights I am judgmental, I just judged you on your spelling of judgmental.....but then again one can never judge another's sarcasm as it comes off a keyboard...are you judging me for being judgmental that is the real question at hand...oh I spell lots of words wrong too..
Old 12-10-22, 03:50 PM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I remember many years ago, some commuter decided to take the four lane Interstate into Denver rather then ride the Bike path near it. Did I mention it was Dark? Yep, you guessed it, he got ran over and killed. (No lights or anything.) Yes the bikeway was a little longer but it beats getting squished! Now that Dum!!!!
Old 12-10-22, 10:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jadmt
damn rights I am judgmental, I just judged you on your spelling of judgmental.....but then again one can never judge another's sarcasm as it comes off a keyboard...are you judging me for being judgmental that is the real question at hand...oh I spell lots of words wrong too..
Proud of being judgmental too, eh?

Not only do you not know that there is more than one way to correctly spell the word that both you and I agree describes your attitude towards strangers, you misspell the idiom emphasizing your pride in your attitude - damn rights.

BTW what is your excuse for failure to follow proper capitalization rules when giving gratuitous grammar lessons?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 12-10-22, 10:26 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
This thread is evidence that there are various forms of dumb and judgmental attitudes towards cyclists and other people who don't fit the profile of allegedly smart commuters who are perfect in every way.
Old 12-11-22, 04:19 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Sad, an effort could and should be made by local governments to get these guys things like safety lights, visible clothing, and some basic education on riding safely.
How about the people employing them get them things like this or pay them a wage that can?
Old 12-11-22, 04:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by dedhed
How about the people employing them get them things like this or pay them a wage that can?
In a perfect world that would happen. Lots of these guys work low wage jobs whose managers/owners complain when the minimum wage goes up and are unlikely to be buying bike lights and safety vests for the employees
Old 12-11-22, 05:03 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
Lots. Pedestrians too.
Joggers in the dark.
Old 12-11-22, 07:05 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
dumb
Old 12-12-22, 12:29 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
dumb
Shh ... I badly want to believe it is an honest typo.
Old 12-12-22, 07:31 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,624 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Joggers in the dark.
One of my unfavorites is people fishing sitting in the middle of the pathway, fishing line strung across to the canal in the dark on the MUP. You just gotta ride careful in the dark.
Old 12-12-22, 07:24 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I see a few folks early in the morning riding on the road without any lights and dressed in darker clothing. I shake my head, cuz I have trouble seeing them. But then again, I see motorists driving around at around the same time without their full lights on. This morning at a stop light I shone my light at one such motorist to get his attention to tell him that his tail lights were not on. He didn't bother to roll down window to hear what I was saying. My guess is he probably knew his tail light was out.

So, yeah, lots of dum dums out there. Some on two wheels, some on four, and some on no wheels.
Old 12-12-22, 10:36 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Shh ... I badly want to believe it is an honest typo.
I thought it was about riding in really steamy weather.
Old 12-12-22, 11:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I have had several people going the wrong way down the bike lane with clear demarcations pointing in the direction of travel. One guy kept charging towards me going the correct way and then had the gall to be angry at me for riding in the correct direction with proper lighting.
Old 12-13-22, 07:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have had several people going the wrong way down the bike lane with clear demarcations pointing in the direction of travel. One guy kept charging towards me going the correct way and then had the gall to be angry at me for riding in the correct direction with proper lighting.
He's challenging your honor. You approach him with all your finery but where is your lance? Coward!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jousting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_(game)
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-13-22, 07:49 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I see a few folks early in the morning riding on the road without any lights and dressed in darker clothing. I shake my head, cuz I have trouble seeing them. But then again, I see motorists driving around at around the same time without their full lights on. This morning at a stop light I shone my light at one such motorist to get his attention to tell him that his tail lights were not on. He didn't bother to roll down window to hear what I was saying. My guess is he probably knew his tail light was out.

So, yeah, lots of dum dums out there. Some on two wheels, some on four, and some on no wheels.
Off topic, but cars without lights on is an increasing problem. I believe part of the issue is on many modern cars, the dashboard and center cluster all light up when you start the car. Many vehicles as well can be switched to an auto mode where the headlights and running lights will light up via a day/night sensor. Unfortunately many do not activate auto mode and the lights never come on. Compounded by daytime running lights that are perceived as the real headlights, but are not. Thus they drive around with no lights. My '20 Frontier is really old school and does not have its dash or center cluster light up unless you turn on the headlights, and there is no auto headlight system, so you know when no lights are on as the dash is completely dark.

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-13-22 at 08:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.