Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Storm damage thread (closed/damaged roads)

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Storm damage thread (closed/damaged roads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 07:53 PM
shrimp123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
rode the Collier canyon, Flynn road loop today

Highland rd closed at Collier Canyon (repair and cleanup crew were very active. expect this will be open soon)
Patterson pass "closed" at entry. I could not see repair/clean up or even crew vehicles there. may be its on the other side of the mound.
Old 01-18-23, 11:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
North Gate Road update:
Lots of little mud slides where the debris mostly stayed in the ditch.
Lots of medium sized mud slides where they piled the debris on the side of the road - still sloppy and some rocks on the road.
A few places with minor road damage, and then this place - between the existing washout and the Ranch... this one will take some engineering.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-19-23, 06:41 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Contra Costa Co. portion of Pinehurst is currently open? Everything I'm seeing seems to indicate only the Alameda Co. side is closed up to the county line, and the link someone posted above to CC road closures isn't working. Just want to make sure if I ride over the hill into Orinda via, say, Wildcat Canyon, that I can get back to Oakland via Pinehurst to Skyline.
Old 01-19-23, 10:30 PM
betabob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pavol Stromcek
Can anyone tell me if the Contra Costa Co. portion of Pinehurst is currently open? Everything I'm seeing seems to indicate only the Alameda Co. side is closed up to the county line, and the link someone posted above to CC road closures isn't working. Just want to make sure if I ride over the hill into Orinda via, say, Wildcat Canyon, that I can get back to Oakland via Pinehurst to Skyline.
Yes, it is. And even the Alameda portion of Pinehurst, as well as the section of Redwood b/t Pinehurst and Skyline is rideable though technically still closed. I rode that section for the 2nd time today, and I was impressed with the job the cleanup crews have doing this past week as all of the mudslides and debris have been cleared away. There is still a wattery/muddy section of Redwood about a mile from the Skyline intersection that one of the crews is working on...I assume there's a drainage issue there. But I've come across several cleanup crews and none of them took an issue with my riding past them.

BTW, has anyone tried riding through the section of Redwood where the road caved in?
Likes For betabob:
Old 01-20-23, 04:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Pavol Stromcek
As of this past Sunday afternoon you certainly could and I actually did exactly the Wildcat-Pinehurst loop you are talking about. There was a tree down across Skyline near Sibley Volcanic, but there was already a crew on site and my guess is that the road is clear. If not, Elverton Drive will get you around it, but if your going southeast to northest, it has a nasty climb. Like top of Diablo nasty. Also, Old Tunnel Road has water and crud in random spots on the descent - take it easy.

There was one slide on Pinehurst (between the two hairpins) that covered the entire uphill lane and a few smaller slides that covered a bit of a lane, but it is 100% accessible. Given the evidence of subsidence on upper Pinehurst, I'm mildly and pleasantly surprised some of it didn't slip out somewhere.
Old 01-21-23, 06:59 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
North Gate Road update:
Lots of little mud slides where the debris mostly stayed in the ditch.
Lots of medium sized mud slides where they piled the debris on the side of the road - still sloppy and some rocks on the road.
A few places with minor road damage, and then this place - between the existing washout and the Ranch... this one will take some engineering.

It actually doesn't look as bad as it does from other photos. The slope on either side of the washout isn't crazy steep, so the gap could be bridged with a wall. The tough part will be the bottom of the washout, which looks like 20' or more, so all of that would have be backfilled and re-compacted to allow for the footing of a new wall. But yes, will definitely have to be an engineered wall, not just some dirt thrown in the hole back up to the road.
Old 01-21-23, 08:30 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by betabob
Yes, it is. And even the Alameda portion of Pinehurst, as well as the section of Redwood b/t Pinehurst and Skyline is rideable though technically still closed. I rode that section for the 2nd time today, and I was impressed with the job the cleanup crews have doing this past week as all of the mudslides and debris have been cleared away. There is still a wattery/muddy section of Redwood about a mile from the Skyline intersection that one of the crews is working on...I assume there's a drainage issue there. But I've come across several cleanup crews and none of them took an issue with my riding past them.

BTW, has anyone tried riding through the section of Redwood where the road caved in?
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
As of this past Sunday afternoon you certainly could and I actually did exactly the Wildcat-Pinehurst loop you are talking about. There was a tree down across Skyline near Sibley Volcanic, but there was already a crew on site and my guess is that the road is clear. If not, Elverton Drive will get you around it, but if your going southeast to northest, it has a nasty climb. Like top of Diablo nasty. Also, Old Tunnel Road has water and crud in random spots on the descent - take it easy.

There was one slide on Pinehurst (between the two hairpins) that covered the entire uphill lane and a few smaller slides that covered a bit of a lane, but it is 100% accessible. Given the evidence of subsidence on upper Pinehurst, I'm mildly and pleasantly surprised some of it didn't slip out somewhere.
Thanks. Yeah, I've done a few short rides up Tunnel Road and through Skyline over the past week or so, but haven't had a chance to head down Redwood or through Pinehurst yet. Tunnel Road last week was kind of a mess, but it's slowly getting better. Looking forward to getting back to one of my loops involving Pinehurst!
Old 01-22-23, 09:54 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
It actually doesn't look as bad as it does from other photos. The slope on either side of the washout isn't crazy steep, so the gap could be bridged with a wall. The tough part will be the bottom of the washout, which looks like 20' or more, so all of that would have be backfilled and re-compacted to allow for the footing of a new wall. But yes, will definitely have to be an engineered wall, not just some dirt thrown in the hole back up to the road.
Well it got worse in the last few days... they moved the sandbags to the middle of the road probably because of safety rather than runoff.
Old 01-22-23, 01:32 PM
shrimp123

Palomares Road

rode Palomares road yesterday. it is currently open. The bridge at the beginning is washed out - has steel plates, but, expect this to be the point of closure. There are some wash outs and slides and downed trees, but, ridable. Be careful of gravel and mud along the road, esp. on the downhill towards Niles Canyon.

bridge washout

slides

rock slide at the same place as 2yrs ago
Likes For shrimp123:
Old 01-25-23, 08:11 PM
betabob

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Okay, I rode Redwood today from Skyline towards Castro Valley, to see if I could get past the area where the road caved in. Redwood is really nice and peaceful now since there is so little automobile traffic, and the roads are finally nice and dry as well. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it all the way to the damaged area, as I came across this ominous deterrent at the Marciel staging area:

I could have gotten around the fence on the righthand side, but decided against proceeding.
Likes For betabob:
Old 01-25-23, 11:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I could have bunny-hopped this ... if it wasn't for those red pieces of plastic.

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-26-23, 12:16 AM
shrimp123

Okay, I rode Redwood today from Skyline towards Castro Valley, to see if I could get past the area where the road caved in. Redwood is really nice and peaceful now since there is so little automobile traffic, and the roads are finally nice and dry as well. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it all the way to the damaged area, as I came across this ominous deterrent at the Marciel staging area:
I could have gotten around the fence on the righthand side, but decided against proceeding.
and the trail thr' the golf course is flush with squishy mud ... effectively i dont have a path from east bay to berkeley.... any suggestions?
Old 01-26-23, 06:05 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts

I would have gone around it if it were a Sunday, but during the week, it's possible they are working on it (though I highly doubt it). Does it look like others have started going around it? (Tire tracks/footprints)
Old 02-08-23, 10:58 AM
shrimp123

Originally Posted by cthenn
I would have gone around it if it were a Sunday, but during the week, it's possible they are working on it (though I highly doubt it). Does it look like others have started going around it? (Tire tracks/footprints)
i did go around this sunday. the road is "ridable", at your own risk, even saw 3-4 cyclists. There is lotsa dirt/branches/gravel on the road - so no super speed descents. The washed-out section has NO road, just a gaping deep ditch and you need to use the small remaining side of the road.
Old 02-08-23, 10:59 AM
shrimp123

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
Niles Cyn closed again and Calaveras @ welch closed too.
is Calaveras open yet? or do they have a plan for near future. might just ride by tomorrow.....
Old 02-08-23, 10:39 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shrimp123
is Calaveras open yet? or do they have a plan for near future. might just ride by tomorrow.....
if you are unlucky enough to catch the ranger by the bridge just past welch they will tell you it's closed. I have a few friends that have rode it, but they start before the ranger gets there. One also ran into the ranger mid climb and they didn't say anything to him. Appears to be luck. I plan to ride it this sat as well.
Old 02-09-23, 12:59 AM
betabob

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shrimp123
i did go around this sunday. the road is "ridable", at your own risk, even saw 3-4 cyclists. There is lotsa dirt/branches/gravel on the road - so no super speed descents. The washed-out section has NO road, just a gaping deep ditch and you need to use the small remaining side of the road.
What’s the fencing like on the Castro Valley side? Is it easy to get around as well?
Old 02-09-23, 01:12 AM
shrimp123

What’s the fencing like on the Castro Valley side? Is it easy to get around as well?
i rode from Castro Valley uphill towards Pinehurst. On the left side, there is a "path" over some brush and around the fence. not hard at all, but, needs a dismount and walk around. At Marceil, it is a slight detour into parking lot and done.
Old 02-12-23, 08:39 PM
shrimp123

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
if you are unlucky enough to catch the ranger by the bridge just past welch they will tell you it's closed. I have a few friends that have rode it, but they start before the ranger gets there. One also ran into the ranger mid climb and they didn't say anything to him. Appears to be luck. I plan to ride it this sat as well.
took Calaveras from Sunol to Milpitas.... there are road blockers, but is definitely ridable. There are some landslides and "gravel/dirt", watch your down hill speeds, but, was fun. no cars and lotsa water in the lake!
Old 02-13-23, 12:04 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
The bay trail through Pinole has been a welcome bypass of San Pablo ave. The section between Pinole Shores and Tenant, near the sewer plant, will be closed for a while.
Old 02-13-23, 11:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old 02-14-23, 10:11 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-15-23, 09:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
The bay trail through Pinole has been a welcome bypass of San Pablo ave. The section between Pinole Shores and Tenant, near the sewer plant, will be closed for a while.
I guess there was no damage to the railroad bed, to the right of the photo?
Old 02-15-23, 10:13 AM
curbtender

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I guess there was no damage to the railroad bed, to the right of the photo?
No, this section was cut and filled along a pretty steep cliff. I'm going to guess that culvert got overwhelmed and the pipe under the trail wasn't large enough. The drainage below has been in place for quite a while and drains into marshes along the waterfront.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-15-23, 10:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
This was in our local news"paper":

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.