Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rounded screw on cleat tension adjustmently - Assioma

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 07:38 PM
Koonstheman

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce and a custom-made Commonwealth (Medford, MA)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Greetings.

I ride Assioma duo pedals. For reasons not totally clear to me - possibly but not surely because I unclip with it - I found the float on my right pedal at its loosest yesterday. However, the screw must be rounded - not stripped - because I cannot get any resistance with my 3mm wrench. None of the suggestions surrounding using rubberbands, etc, work. My question is whether if I drilled the very top of the head out, I'd be able to extract and subsequently replace the screw without ruining the entire mechanism. Thanks for any suggestions.

John
Old 03-27-23, 09:15 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Worse comes to worst, they do sell replacement bodies

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-28-23, 08:39 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I'm not real clear as to what the issue is. Is the 3mm wrench socket stripped out or are the threads that the screw goes into stripped? If just the wrench socket is rounded out a tight fitting torx wrench may work or drilling off the head as long as you can grab onto the remaining stud with pliers, vice grips, etc. If you have room, cut a slot for a screwdriver on the screw head. Contacting Assioma may get you some offers of help as well if there is some type of problem with the tension adjustment assembly.
Old 03-28-23, 09:42 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'm not real clear as to what the issue is. Is the 3mm wrench socket stripped out or are the threads that the screw goes into stripped? If just the wrench socket is rounded out a tight fitting torx wrench may work or drilling off the head as long as you can grab onto the remaining stud with pliers, vice grips, etc. If you have room, cut a slot for a screwdriver on the screw head. Contacting Assioma may get you some offers of help as well if there is some type of problem with the tension adjustment assembly.
Beyond the Torx wrench, an English 1/8" Allen wrench could maybe be forced into the head for a "one-time" removal.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-28-23, 09:53 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Koonstheman
I ride Assioma duo pedals. For reasons not totally clear to me - possibly but not surely because I unclip with it
Eh?
Originally Posted by Koonstheman
I found the float on my right pedal at its loosest yesterday. However, the screw must be rounded - not stripped - because I cannot get any resistance with my 3mm wrench.
Is the screw still there? It seems more likely it would have fallen out, or perhaps the head sheared off, than it spontaneously rounded out. As already noted, replacement pedal bodies are available, so whatever damage you do in trying to fix it there's still a fallback position.
Old 03-28-23, 09:53 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I’d just advise that getting the (replacement) screw back into the nut, and with the tension springs positioned correctly, can be difficult.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 03-28-23, 01:35 PM
Koonstheman

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce and a custom-made Commonwealth (Medford, MA)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks to everyone. I have an inquiry into Favero and do expect to be told to get a replacement body. I've never spent much time observing the exact mechanics of how the increased twisting of the screw actuates the tightness, but to my friend who said "eh", I can assure you that I have never ridden with that much float and that I did not intentionally have the adjustment in the lowest position, as I found it when I hopped off to see what is going on. I used the term "rounded" because there are no threads in the screw head and the wrench itself is fine, since it works perfectly well in the other pedal. It's all academic, as I see a replacement in my future, as well as the very sleek video (it looks more like a magician at work).