Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Strip paint/ raw steel?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Strip paint/ raw steel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 02:25 AM
JDMKidBill

Bikes: Centurion Fixed Gear, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strip paint/ raw steel?

I plan to strip the cheap paint from my Retrospec frame, and keep it unpainted. I've taken off each part of my bike, except the bottom bracket.

1. I'm not completely sure what my frame material is. It's a type of steel. Is that significant for this project?
2. I've bought Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor clearcoat. Will it stick to the frame? Will it discolour?
3. Should I even use the clearcoat? I originally wanted to apply it because after I accumulate enough stickers, i'd apply the stickers and clearcoat to protect them from the sun/daily wear.

Basically, I would like a protected raw frame with decals/stickers. I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by JDMKidBill; 02-21-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 03:36 AM
whitefiretiger
I love custom cruisers

Bikes: Versato Riviera 21spd cruiser, 2005 Schwinn Typhoon cruiser 700c wheels, Ocean Pacific cruiser 6spd suicide front brake, 1993 Giant Acapulco SS conversion project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If its any kind of steel (excluding stainless) you'll want to at very least clear coat it or you'll have a nice brown very quickly. The clear should stick ok to the metal as long as you don't polish it smooth. And make sure you coat it very thoroughly as not to miss any spots (at least two coats) then let it cure completely. Then if you are planning on putting stickers on is lightly sand the clear with very fine sandpaper (is wetsand 1000 grit) then get it good and clean and let it dry. Then apply the stickers and give it another two good coats of clear. And make sure to use plenty on the chain stay and or a chain stay protector. And don't be in too big of rush as it will take time for the clear to cure and not be soft. Do not re assemble the bike until its fully cured or all the work you do will have been for nothing. I suggest letting it cure for a good 3 weeks minimum to be safe.

Hope this helps. But to be honest I'd check to see what a local body shop would charge you to spray it with car clear coat because it will be much more durable and cure a lot faster.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-12, 07:27 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Wait...you're going to remove the finish from your bike because you want to cover the entire thing with stickers? Why not just cover it with stickers now?

Just so you know - a lot of spray paint/clear coat melts vinyl stickers, causing the edges to curl up. You could end up with a big mess on your hands.
Old 02-21-12, 08:41 AM
JDMKidBill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hoping to ride around in the raw until I get some more stickers. It would be like a two step project?
Old 02-21-12, 08:44 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most clear coat spray paints won't stick to raw steel.
Old 02-21-12, 08:50 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by yummygooey
Most clear coat spray paints won't stick to raw steel.
This. Spray bomb clear coats tend to suck. Even if you do find one that seems to work, it will begin to flake off over time because there is no primer/sealer for the clearcoat to stick to.

I would hit up a local place that deals with custom motorcycles and see what advice they give when it comes to treating raw steel.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 02-21-12 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 08:56 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are a few companies that make clear coat paints designed to adhere to raw steel, but you'll probably have to go to an auto body shop or motorcycle place as Scrod suggested for that. If you just want a raw steel bike, get a powdercoat.
Old 02-21-12, 09:04 AM
nite train

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
having painted motorcycles, there is a trick to clear coating raw steel, you have to remove all the moistures, moisture invisible to the naked eye. if you spray bomb clear coat it will rust underneath. look into a clear powder coating, cheap and tough, scrod speaks the simple truth auto body shop
Old 02-21-12, 11:41 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I would hit up a local place that deals with custom motorcycles and see what advice they give when it comes to treating raw steel.
There are products availible such as Gibbs, but trying to prevent rust on a raw steel frame is like trying put out a forest fire with a screwdriver.

IMO powdercoat is the only real way to go.
Old 02-21-12, 11:53 AM
Furyus

Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Slik Chik, 1983 Miyata 310, 2022 Sunday Model C

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
There are products availible such as Gibbs, but trying to prevent rust on a raw steel frame is like trying put out a forest fire with a screwdriver.

IMO powdercoat is the only real way to go.
Gibbs Lubricant is fantastic stuff. I'll be using it on my raw steel, with a little steel wool for touch up. Same amount of labor as a bath and wax job in my opinion. Only problem with Gibbs and the OP's question is that stickers ain't gonna stick real well. I've got several hours just removing cable stays and polishing out the chain stays so far on my project - can't see doing all that work to cover it with stickers.

furyus
Old 02-21-12, 11:53 AM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I love the raw look of my bike. Even with a clear coat, I am starting to notice discoloration on the seat tube, which I'm guessing is minor rust. It looks so awesome.

I say, if you have to ask about the project on such a basic level, you probably shouldn't be DIY. If you do end up trying, good luck
Old 02-21-12, 12:05 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMKidBill
I was hoping to ride around in the raw until I get some more stickers. It would be like a two step project?
oh. my. god.
Old 02-21-12, 12:12 PM
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast

Bikes: All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will one/some of your many stickers in "step 2" involve some "illest" ones? cc700 will like that.
Old 02-21-12, 12:13 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
undoubtedly. wide tire fitment people all ALL this young, ignorant, or stupid. sometimes all three.

though i'm sure this person is just innocently ignorant and perhaps young. paint is a very very technical, scientific, magical, and mystical mystery. like magnets. or horses.
Old 02-21-12, 12:27 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
****ing magnets. How do they work?
Old 02-21-12, 12:44 PM
JDMKidBill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeadserious
Will one/some of your many stickers in "step 2" involve some "illest" ones? cc700 will like that.
Hahaha, actually, no. I'd put stickers that were given to me and/or describe me... like computer part stickers, In-n-out, retrogression, etc.

And yes, although young, i'd like to do more DIY things. I'm aware of some "scientific" parts to the project... I've just wanted input from people who've done something similar.

From reading some replies and other forum posts, it sounds like if I want to strip and maintain the steel, i'd have to powdercoat it. Considering I don't have the ability to self powder coat, are there any further alternatives?
Old 02-21-12, 02:08 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the only stuff that will treat the metal and prevent corrosion adequately is all extremely chemically reactive(requires industrial handling) or expensive (laquer paint, powdercoat).

you could do an industrial metal finish in an acid bath or plating process, but that's going to be on par with powdercoat pricing. your only cheaper alternative is an enamel spray paint but you're going to be at at least half the cost of a powdercoat to do that right and the finish isn't going to last as long, be as good looking, or have the variety in color choices.

if you want a raw metal frame, take it to a metal finishing place and ask them if they can strip it, acid bathe it, and clear coat it. if they can't do that for less than you are willing to spend, sell the frame and buy a raw kilo.

in fact, your frame sucks so much it's not worth doing anything to; just sell it and buy a better frame.
Old 02-21-12, 02:12 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by cc700
in fact, your frame sucks so much it's not worth doing anything to; just sell it and buy a better frame.
Old 02-21-12, 02:18 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Old 02-21-12, 02:58 PM
JDMKidBill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. Might as well buy a new bike!

Guess I won't be stripping the paint. I'll be lucky if I can even get 10 dollars out of the frame. You live and you learn, I guess...
Old 02-21-12, 03:16 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
If you think you're only getting $10, might as well keep it and build it up to be a beater. Then build/buy another bike.

n+1
Old 02-21-12, 03:24 PM
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast

Bikes: All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you should probably just buy my 722. It's already raw and clear coated.
Old 02-21-12, 03:59 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I. Can. Not. Stop. Laughing.
Old 02-21-12, 04:33 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah just cover it all over in stickers. then beater. if you want a raw frame, save up for one.
Old 02-21-12, 04:59 PM
supafast213

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took a beater bike down to raw steel very recently. When I posted a thread about it, everyone wanted to talk about clear coats. I have decided to leave the bike "raw" because the inevitable corrosion has not developed. My advise to you is not to worry about the clear coat until you have finished stripping the frame. After doing this twice on two different bikes, I would suggest that you get some sort of shop stand, lots of sandpaper and a GOOD variety of wire brushes. The paint removal process is more daunting than you think. Patience is key.
You also will probably want a garage/dirty work area where you can leave the bike after you get so frustrated removing paint that you need to come back to it tomorrow. Oh, go ahead and pull the bottom bracket. That's the hardest part to sand around with parts installed. I have never posted my single speed on this forum due to beating it would probably receive. But just to give you some inspiration......(keep in mind, this bike was built from spare parts I had laying around. It is in a constant state of flux)

Last edited by supafast213; 02-21-12 at 05:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.