Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon vs alloy wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon vs alloy wheels

Old 12-08-21, 12:33 AM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Carbon vs alloy wheels

I have Orbea Orca carbon bike with SRAM Force eTap AXS and Fulcrum Race 4 wheels. The bike is very comfortable but feels a bit sluggish compared to my other older road bikes. Maybe this is because of heavier disc brakes vs lighter rim ones on the other bikes. Maybe because of 32mm tires with lower pressure vs 25 with higher. I'm wondering would there be a noticeable difference if I upgrade the wheels to carbon like Fulcrum Race Zero? These wheels are quite more expensive - would they be worth it? I'm looking for more sporty ride.
Likes For tankist:
Old 12-08-21, 07:44 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I've done the "carbon vs alloy" thing, and honestly, I'm sticking with alloy. While the carbon wheels do feel a little different, I never noticed any increase in speed, climbing, etc. The alloy wheels I use are the Roval SLX 24, which are light and nice riding. No more carbon wheels for me. But that's for me and my riding style and ability. If you're a world tour rider, well, your mileage may vary.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 12-08-21, 08:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
If it's just a perceptual difference, then yeah, I would guess it's the heavier and lower pressured 32s vs. the lighter, higher-pressured 25s on your other bikes. And not the material your rims are made out of. Are the rides actually any slower? -- hard to test this easily, but thought I'd ask.
Old 12-08-21, 08:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Going from heavier tires and wheels to lighter tires and wheels is certainly noticeable in terms of feel, IMO. Will you see any difference on the stop-watch? No.

Side note, if you go to some of the wider rims, you could probably move to a modern, nominal 28mm tire and not give up anything in terms of mounted width, which means that you could run fast but comfy air pressure and have tire profile that handles nicely.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-08-21, 09:36 AM
dmanthree

When I was shopping for wheels, I noticed that the weight of the alloy wheels I did get was only 3.5 ounces more than a "lightweight" carbon set. And a LOT less money. I'm not worried about 3.5 ounces. And yes, the choice of tire likely makes more of a difference than the wheel material.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 12-08-21, 10:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Have you played with your tire pressures to see if higher or lower psi make a difference for what you perceive as sluggishness?

If I run the recommended pressure for my weight and tire size then I feel like I'm having to work harder to make the bike move. My data also shows me better at the tire pressure I feel better on.
Old 12-08-21, 10:26 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
My understanding is that carbon wheels are lighter but the main benefit is they are more aero and stiffer for the weight. If the type of riding you're doing doesn't give you the aero benefit and you don't put out a lot of power you may not notice much benefit from carbon wheels over quality alloy wheels. I would definitely try different tires first. You could try several pairs of tires for the price of one wheel. You could also try tubeless or those turbo lite tubes before putting out the money for new wheels.
Old 12-08-21, 10:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
What tyres are they? I would start from there.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-08-21, 11:15 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
where I live disc vs rim is no real advantage - it's rarely wet out here. so Rim/Carbon being more finicky, I don;t need.
Carbon vs Alloy - more aero or more bulletproof - I find my alloy work fine, reasonably light for acceleration and climbing.
Tires - good tires in 25 are still my go to on my HED wheels - 19mm internal.
Internal rim width does help with tire compliance vs psi inflation. Many carbon rims are way narrower, internal, than good alloy.
At my weight , 150 lbs/ 68 kg, I ride 75+ frt, 80 psi rear and its mostly comfortable and fast enough for my current riding.
We have plenty of crap roads in Santa Barbara county, where a 32 would seem a nice comfy ride, But a lot more weight to spin up and climb with...
I like 25mms because they're also much lighter... course, I'm still running light tubes also...
tubeless would be nice... iffn I only had 2 bikes - not possible at the moment.... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-08-21, 11:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
These wheels are quite more expensive - would they be worth it?
Post your Strava files and tax returns from the past 3 years and I'll plug them into my spreadsheet. The result will be a true, objective answer to your question.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-08-21, 11:23 AM
dilbert2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
They look cooler.
Old 12-08-21, 11:24 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I have Orbea Orca carbon bike with SRAM Force eTap AXS and Fulcrum Race 4 wheels. The bike is very comfortable but feels a bit sluggish compared to my other older road bikes. Maybe this is because of heavier disc brakes vs lighter rim ones on the other bikes. Maybe because of 32mm tires with lower pressure vs 25 with higher. I'm wondering would there be a noticeable difference if I upgrade the wheels to carbon like Fulcrum Race Zero? These wheels are quite more expensive - would they be worth it? I'm looking for more sporty ride.
Lopping 260g off your wheel weight by moving to Racing Zero Carbon DB would probably improve liveliness and sporty feel, yeah.

Is it worth the cost? Almost certainly not, as there are options which are lighter, deeper, and less expensive, like Winspace Hyper 38, which are around 100g lighter, 8mm deeper, and $600 less than RZ Carbon. Hyper 38s would move your wheel weight savings up to more than 3/4lb.
Old 12-08-21, 11:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
"Worth" is subjective...hence we cannot answer that question for you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-08-21, 12:23 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I'm a life time fan of HED wheels in the alloy/carbon setup. A mild weight penalty for the alloy rim but the aero profile is carbon. Makes them more affordable and also a more carefree/easy wheelset to own versus all carbon IMO.

They even make the "black" versions now with the black alloy brake track to get the same all black look as a full carbon wheel.
Old 12-08-21, 01:26 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Thanks everybody for the useful info you provided. I'm a casual rider of 61 years young, do it mostly for pleasure and health. For this year I have about 7,000 km of distance and 66,000 m of climb. I weight about 87 kg, my current tires are Conti 5000 TL 32mm pumped to max (6 bars) pressure. I think I'll stick with my current wheels for now but will try Conti 5000 TL 28 mm when the current tires wear out. And will take a look at other carbon alternatives to have a better perspective.
Old 12-08-21, 02:51 PM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
You have high end tires. I don't think you will notice that much difference between 28 and 32's. Despite the advice here people rave about new wheels (especially carbon) and often say it's the best upgrade you can do for your bike. If you have the money I'm guessing you would be happy with a new set of carbon wheels.
Old 12-08-21, 04:36 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Going from heavier tires and wheels to lighter tires and wheels is certainly noticeable in terms of feel, IMO. Will you see any difference on the stop-watch? No.
Anecdotally, this is what you should expect to experience.

Having a lighter wheel and tire set up in general will make the bike feel a bit more lively. However you should consider the weight of the total bike as whole since disc brake bikes are typically heavier than rim brakes. IMO after switching to disc brakes on the primary bike, they tend to have a harder time climbing and less of a snap in acceleration over rim brake. However modern geometry and disc brakes make the riding experience more enjoyable overall, YMMV.

If you're only looking at reducing weight, then carbon vs. alloy doesn't matter. The primary advantage to carbon wheels is that you can get aero profiles and shapes that alloy cannot do without excess weight. Carbon wheels usually aren't much lighter than alloy anyways. You'd have to consider where and how you like to ride. My climbing bike is an older Cannondale SuperSix with rim brakes and alloy wheels for a total bike weight of 6 kg. The primary is a Bottecchia Emme 4 with Zipp 303s and that comes in at 7.7 kg.

Last edited by oris; 12-08-21 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For oris:
Old 12-08-21, 05:18 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
would they be worth it?
Unless you're being paid to race and are losing sprints by less than 0.1 seconds, it's not "worth it". But if you want them and you have the expendable income, nobody's gonna stop you.
Old 12-08-21, 05:52 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Post your Strava files and tax returns from the past 3 years and I'll plug them into my spreadsheet. The result will be a true, objective answer to your question.
I did something similar. Which is why I bought alloy. Did the same exercise for tires, as well. Got some surprising results. Reality can fly in the face of advertising claims.
Old 12-08-21, 06:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I did something similar. Which is why I bought alloy. Did the same exercise for tires, as well. Got some surprising results. Reality can fly in the face of advertising claims.
I guess humor is dead ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-08-21, 07:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Come on, to be completely objective you must consider Strava files, tax returns, and Bike Forum posts (especially those with photos) for the most recent three years.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-09-21, 08:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
The primary advantage to carbon wheels is that you can get aero profiles and shapes that alloy cannot do without excess weight. Carbon wheels usually aren't much lighter than alloy anyways.
I thought the real advantage to carbon wheels was their stiffness laterally. That lets one accelerate faster when putting the power into the bike. Though the gain is probably less notable for a not so strong in the legs rider as it is for someone very strong in the legs.
Old 12-09-21, 08:33 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
There's other advantages but carbon wheels aren't always stiffer in general. The main reason I would look at them is gaining an aero advantage and weight overall.
Likes For oris:
Old 12-09-21, 08:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I thought the real advantage to carbon wheels was their stiffness laterally. That lets one accelerate faster when putting the power into the bike. Though the gain is probably less notable for a not so strong in the legs rider as it is for someone very strong in the legs.
I'd hazard a guess that the increased lateral stiffness is a side-benefit that comes from deeper aero rim shape. IOW, carbon fiber wheels aren't made deeper to solve a stiffness issue, but to improve aerodynamics. If (does?) anyone made a 24mm deep CF box shaped rim, would it be any stiffer than a same sized alloy rim?
Old 12-09-21, 08:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
"Carbon" rims are in no way different than "alloy" rims except in material.

CF rims come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes as do alloy rims.

If you don't need very deep aero rims, then you can get alloy rims which weight less than deep CF rims .... and the biggest difference if "feel" (IMO) comes from reduced rotating mass. The difference disappears once you get up near cruising speed, but accelerating from a stop or low speeds, based on my own tests, the lighter wheels feel faster.

If you generally ride over 18 or so mph, you might gain a tiny a percentage of speed with a set of deep areo rims ... I doubt Strava would notice, and if it doesn't show up on Strava, does it even happen?

When I bought my Fuji, it felt sluggish and I was disappointed with it for a while ... then I got some lighter alloy rims and some Contis to replace the stock boat-anchor wheels and treaded on/off-road tires, saving about half a pound ... then I got some deeper CF rims which were a quarter-pound lighter still. The difference was dramatic from the stock wheel and tires, to CF wheels and Contis, was tremendous ....but the difference was not due to "fast" tires of CF rims .... it was purely Weight. I dropped maybe two pounds and that made the bike feel ... two pounds lighter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.