Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 11:57 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Riding near Universal Studios?

I have 2 hours to kill tomorrow morning (Saturday) in that area. I see some "famous" road and park/trail names on the map. Any roads or places to avoid? Should I bring my road bike or mtb? Thanks.
Old 02-11-22, 12:14 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
I have 2 hours to kill tomorrow morning (Saturday) in that area. I see some "famous" road and park/trail names on the map. Any roads or places to avoid? Should I bring my road bike or mtb? Thanks.
Road bike is fine in that area, since most of the trails are not open to bikes, but there are fire roads which are bike friendly. I'd avoid riding on Barham since it's a heavily trafficked street and last I remember no bike lane. Though there's a way to cut across and take side streets to Lake Hollywood and even the Hollywood sign from that area. You can also climb to Mulholland Drive which has some pretty nice views. I think both of those destinations would be doable within 2 hours back and forth. Just be mindful of the cars in that area. LA drivers suck!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-11-22, 04:34 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
It should be a hot one tomorrow. I only road bike, so cannot comment on mountain bike trails. They tend to be exposed and hot, but you should be fine for only two hours in the morning.

I also dislike Barham, especially the part from Cahuenga/101 to Lake Hollywood Drive. IMHO, it's not that bad going up, it is the downhill that I dislike more do to the speed. Uphill has somewhat of a shoulder. I would go into Griffith Park, extending it the Hollywood Sign if you have the time.

BTW, the Hollywood Reservoir road might be closed.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 02-11-22, 05:31 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
If you're a real glutton for punishment you could try doing some repeats up the steep road leading into Universal Studios off the 101. I've never done it, but from experiences on other similar roads in SoCal I'd expect it would kick your butt in far less than two hours. Do it early in the AM (before the park opens) and I don't think you'd be hassled by the Studio's security staff.
Likes For skidder:
Old 02-14-22, 02:30 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Hi al! I was at the Hilton Universal Studios and rode north on Lankershim to Riverside through Griffith Park and then up Vermont to the Observatory. I saw several group rides of 4 to 20 cyclists along the way. I asked directions/advice from a few--all were very nice and helpful. The views from the Observatory were awesome! After descending Vermont, I continue down to Franklin per Google maps--I guess Goggle thinks Los Feliz is not good for bikes. Franklin has a sharrow lane but the traffic is sketchy. Although I wasn't hassled, drivers were constantly cutting off and honking at each other. Cahuenga had filthy shoulders and bike lanes and homeless encampments, whose trash spilled off the sidewalks and into the street. I was thinking that if I had a mechanical, I'd be beat up and my bike stolen. Google then took me through Universal Studios' parking structure with all their visitor traffic, lol. I found my way out and got back to the Hilton to pick up my daughter from her audition. Overall, a good first ride in the LA area. West and North of the hotel looks interesting on the map--streets and canyons whose names I recognize. Thanks for your advice!
Likes For bikeme:
Old 02-15-22, 11:24 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I've been living off of Franklin for years now. The lane is not big, the traffic can be bad (but slow), but I have never seen aggressive drivers or a single person honk. Even I avoid Los Feliz Blvd. There is no shoulder, not even a parking lane west of Vermont and the traffic is much faster. You could have descended Fern Dell, which is actually a nicer descent since it is technical and not just a big drop like Vermont (which also has houses, parking, and speed bumps).

From Riverside, did you go to the Observatory via the closed road (climb up to Mt Hollywood) or the long way around?

Even I have done Cahuenga seldomly. I usually do the convoluted way around it, which requires climbing, but that is also because I love to climb.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 02-16-22, 12:09 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
Hi al! I was at the Hilton Universal Studios and rode north on Lankershim to Riverside through Griffith Park and then up Vermont to the Observatory. I saw several group rides of 4 to 20 cyclists along the way. I asked directions/advice from a few--all were very nice and helpful. The views from the Observatory were awesome! After descending Vermont, I continue down to Franklin per Google maps--I guess Goggle thinks Los Feliz is not good for bikes. Franklin has a sharrow lane but the traffic is sketchy. Although I wasn't hassled, drivers were constantly cutting off and honking at each other. Cahuenga had filthy shoulders and bike lanes and homeless encampments, whose trash spilled off the sidewalks and into the street. I was thinking that if I had a mechanical, I'd be beat up and my bike stolen. Google then took me through Universal Studios' parking structure with all their visitor traffic, lol. I found my way out and got back to the Hilton to pick up my daughter from her audition. Overall, a good first ride in the LA area. West and North of the hotel looks interesting on the map--streets and canyons whose names I recognize. Thanks for your advice!
I'm glad to hear you had a great ride! I climb to Griffith Observatory on a weekly basis. I never tire of the route since there are multiple ways to the top. Also it's fun to keep track of the segment climbs, even though the KOMs at Griffith are done by hardcore roadies (and in some cases retired pros)!
Likes For jonathanf2: