Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Cycling Rt 395 vs. Rt 14

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 03:29 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Cycling Rt 395 vs. Rt 14

I'm planning on biking soon from San Bern over the mtns into Hesperia area (will skirt the city) and then north along Rt. 395 up to Lake Crowley or so.Only found one posting about biking Rt 395 going north and it has me wondering if I should go 40 miles extra over to Rt 14 and take that north until it joins 395.? Reasons would be 1. Not have to carry as much food/water with me. 2. Someone mentioned there's a lot of metal threads littering the shoulder from the shredded truck tires. (Had more of those get in my tires in AZ over the last 2 yrs than goatheads.) Shoulder looks fine all the way, so that's not a concern. Would Rt 14 be any quieter? Also, I would stay outside Lancaster as I think I've read it's a crime-ridden city. Are the other nearby towns the same? I'm quite familiar with the desert winds. Not interested in what I read many of you had to say about that area with their strength. Is April a bad month for them? What about the fall? Thanks.
Old 03-24-22, 12:21 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
hey there travelinhobo,

the 14 carries faster traffic and is flatter but has better shoulders (when they're not filled with debris).
the 395 carries less traffic but it is only slightly slower and the shoulders are what shoulders? still
plenty of truck traffic and plenty of big big rollers enroute. both routes grabbing plenty of headwind/crosswind-esp the 14
south of the china lake/ridgecrest area 14/395 merge. personally? would prob do the 395 from the san berdoos with the understanding that i'd
be pulling over fairly frequently to let trucks/auto streams pass once past adelanto before resuming. lots of soft shoulders and a looong day.
happy california touring!
Old 03-24-22, 10:23 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
The fall colors in the Eastern Sierra are memorable. Much less traffic too after Labor Day.
Much cooler nights below freezing though at elevation to consider in the fall season.
Old 03-24-22, 11:35 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Ooga - I viewed the shoulder on 395 in several areas along the route using Gmaps, and it all looked good. So I'm surprised by your comment. I'll do another review of it along with 14. I don't have a problem pulling off if I'm impeding traffic because a state's DOT doesn't have their sh*t together for the bicycle. Becomes a time waster, but if it's not every minute.

Cat - My plan is to go up in the next few weeks, stay the summer and come back in the fall. Won't be staying for freezing temps.
Old 03-25-22, 12:41 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Ooga - I viewed the shoulder on 395 in several areas along the route using Gmaps, and it all looked good. So I'm surprised by your comment. I'll do another review of it along with 14. I don't have a problem pulling off if I'm impeding traffic because a state's DOT doesn't have their sh*t together for the bicycle. Becomes a time waster, but if it's not every minute.

Cat - My plan is to go up in the next few weeks, stay the summer and come back in the fall. Won't be staying for freezing temps.
my comment only applies to the stretch north of adelanto to just before the ridgecrest/china lake/ca hwy 14 merge. once north of the 14/395
merge, there is plenty of shoulder up to lee vining.