Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Bike for my son

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Bike for my son

Old 03-06-22, 08:30 PM
NRissy
Bike-train

Bikes: Santana Encore Tandem, Trek 3900, Marin MTB, Marin Road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Bike for my son

I am at a loss as to what to do for my six year old son for a bike.
He has a 14in bike with training wheels he has outgrown. He is ready to get rid of training wheels but not quite.
He is 47in tall his inseam is 20 inches. These are both without shoes on.
I live in the middle of Nebraska, USA so I either have $400 bikes from the one bike store/ sporting good store or Walmart quality bikes. Their is no used quality bike market. My wife refuses to buy a bike more than about $150.

What would you do in my situation?
Old 03-06-22, 09:46 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
He's still growing. Walmart serves the purpose. 20" BMX style bike. Check it over good, make sure all bearings are greased and everything's adjusted properly and watch him go. When I'm out cruising around town on my road bike kids will come and catch up to me on their 20 inchers and get a kick out of trying to race me or do wheelies to impress me. It's all good. Some will move up to better and bigger in time, and some it's just not for them. I agree with the missus. Don't break the bank yet-you'll get many more opportunities for that later. haha
Old 03-09-22, 08:08 AM
jfsaxophone

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Touring IV, 1987 Giant Kronos, 1990 Trek 800, 2002 Specialized Hotrock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been in your situation, and I would also go for an economical BMX bike. All three of my boys, age 6, 8, and 10, are on 20" wheel BMX bikes which were Wal-Mart or Amazon brands, bought used, and they serve them fine. I do my own maintenance but there's not much to a single-speed bike.

The less complicated it is, the less the manufacturer has to cut corners to keep the price down. For BMX I choose regular spoke wheels, V-brakes, and the avoid the gyro-brake adapter (that lets the handlebars spin without twisting the cables). Yes, the bikes are sometimes hastily assembled, but be particular in the store and you'll find some good ones, or adjust them yourself at home.
Likes For jfsaxophone:
Old 03-10-22, 02:25 PM
ParkerTorres23

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I also think that buying a BMX bike will be the best idea. I had a younger brother, and last month my parents bought that bike for his birthday. Yes, maybe that bike is not the best, but for kids it's a good one. And in some time, when your kid will grow up, maybe it will be the time to buy something better.
Likes For ParkerTorres23:
Old 03-11-22, 10:00 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I went with the $400 bike for my son at that age with 6 spd twist grip. (Cannondale Quick 20) When he out grew it I had no problem selling it for 3/4 cost I paid. Name brand kids bikes sell quick around here because like your area there are few listed.
Likes For Razorrock:
Old 03-14-22, 05:29 AM
nenovster

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The Raleigh Lily 20 is around $250. My daughter loves it. She was about your son's size when she first rode it. It's light, has gears,, no coaster brake. It's very kid friendly.. you would not have a problem unloading on used market when the time comes.
Old 03-15-22, 09:21 AM
Nate8727

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 1 Disc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Trek has a kids trade-up program.

When you purchase a kids Trek bike, you can bring it back within 3 years and get up to 50% of the original purchase price in credit towards a new one. They usually donate the old one to local charities.

I assume other brands have this type of program also.

You can't beat BMX bikes though for young kids. I had one myself. The Mongoose Legion is one of the best I've read.
Old 03-15-22, 10:58 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 242 Posts
Ditch the training wheels, altogether. Remove pedals and jam the saddle down to enable him to "walk" the bike. He'll master the balance in a couple hours.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 03-22-22, 08:33 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I agree that if $150 is the absolute ceiling, you might have to go with a Walmart BSO BMX. However, this seems like a good moment to negotiate with your wife. Your kid will like biking much more if he has a real bike, and the resale value will hold up much better. BMX bikes aren't made for transportation.

Personally, I'd look for a used Woom 4. This one is on Best Offer on Ebay; you could definitely get it for under $300 shipped, and if the kid doesn't destroy it, you should be able to sell it for what you bought it for.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20387573316...gAAOSwjS1iNhy3

Guardian Ethos (large 20") and Priority Start 20" also seem like good bikes to look out for.

Last edited by brianinc-ville; 03-22-22 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-27-22, 08:49 PM
NRissy
Bike-train

Was talking to a friend who said he had a couple of bikes in his shed from his grandkids (they are now in college) and I could pick one. Here is what my son now has:

Giant Frantic 20 in bike.
I picked this one over the other 20 in he had because it has a low step through and Giant is normally a decent brand.
Likes For NRissy:
Old 03-27-22, 09:14 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,499 Times in 1,191 Posts
BMX single speed, as light as you can afford. One shop...
https://www.danscomp.com/bmx-bikes/c15876
Old 03-27-22, 09:27 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by NRissy
Was talking to a friend who said he had a couple of bikes in his shed from his grandkids (they are now in college) and I could pick one. Here is what my son now has:
Giant Frantic 20 in bike.
I picked this one over the other 20 in he had because it has a low step through and Giant is normally a decent brand.
Looks decent and a good reliable brand. That's a win any day. Bike is old enough, check the tires for dry rot especially if it sat on concrete, give it some new grips and send it.
Old 03-28-22, 10:32 AM
jfsaxophone

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Touring IV, 1987 Giant Kronos, 1990 Trek 800, 2002 Specialized Hotrock

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That's a good score. With a free bike you have extra cash to replace that rear tire when he skids it down to the belts.

Check the brake cable, looks like the handlebars got spun and put the cable the wrong way around the stem which will cause extra friction. The cable looks kinked up and might be ready to be replaced anyway.
Old 03-28-22, 02:20 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
That Giant looks nice! Now, make sure he rides the thing. When I was done with my training wheels as a kid, my dad used them to build a little trailer that I used to collect bottles and trash and stuff around the neighborhood. Good memories.
Old 03-28-22, 03:24 PM
NRissy
Bike-train

The bike was hanging on a hook in the garage so no dry rot that I notice.
Skidding the back tire? that was me growing up. I was so upset when I got my new bike with v-breaks as a kid and could no longer 'lock them up' and leave nasty skid marks in the gravel drive way at home. Yup, the front break is shot. I am replacing the pads and cable.