Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can A Light Be Too Bright?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 04-03-22, 06:40 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

I want to purchase a new rear light for my bike. I only ride in daylight. Therefore I will be using the blinking mode. The light will be installed on the seatstays. The bag takes up too much room on the seatpost. Some of the reviews state that it is blindingly bright.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YFF4857...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 04-03-22, 06:44 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Don't Spend any $$ Until you see the light in Person.
I have Been Burned by others that said the light is Great.

Old 04-03-22, 07:15 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Another rider was looking for a new tail light last fall. I informally reviewed most of the bright tail lights -- run times, mounting method, etc. The only one I could recommend was the Cygolite.

Ha, those amazon reviews are extreme. The mounting bracket is sturdy and reliable, I have no idea how people are breaking theirs or losing their light. How?!

Get the 200 or the 150.
I have the Hotshot 150, and really like it. A 200 lumen light will appear to be a bit brighter, but not 25% brighter than 150. Vision is similar to hearing, where sound has to double to be just 6 db louder.

The 150 has a noticeably brighter beam than my old Hotshot 2W, and it's also spread out more than the 2W, so aiming isn't critical.

My only complaint is the Cygolite USB rubber plugs, used on most of their current headlights and taillights. These are a bit annoying to plug back in, and seem to fall out occasionally, hanging down from the light. I cut a "rubber band" from an old inner tube, and it fits around the outside of the tail light to help hold the plug in place. That works. (perhaps a piece of electrical tape would work.)

It's a great daytime light! It's visible even in noon sunlight, and really eye catching in sun+shade conditions. Other riders in my group were way ahead on the road, perhaps a quarter mile away. Their blink instantly caught my eye. I want drivers to notice me when they are far back, so they have time to react.

I run the single flash mode, which is a short, sharp full power flash. The other flash modes aren't as effective in the daytime, I think.
The other control button changes the speed of the flash. I have it set to 2 flashes per second, and this mode lasts a long time. I'm guessing 15+ hours? This single flash mode has the best battery life, too.

At night
The flash is too bright at night for a group ride! Way too bright for riders behind me. I switch it to steady mode, and then the second button dials down the intensity. When riding solo when it's dark, I use the "waa-waa" flash, which ramps the brightness up and down. Less annoying to drivers, and distinctive.

~~~
The seatpost hard mount works great, easy and secure. Another rider has the supplied smaller size mount on the seat stay, and that works fine. He has round seat stays. Some bikes have oddly shaped stays, which might not work as well?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Headlight too
I have the Cygolite Dash 520 headlight. It's perfect for me.
The rubber stretch band works with the under-bar-tape brake cables, and allows the light to be pointed up or down as I ride. Hard mounts for handlebars are really annoying to fit on.
The flash mode lasts about 9 hours (per cygolite) and I run it all the time during the day.
The 520 lumens is good if I'm still out after dark, but the full power only lasts an hour. (the half and quarter power are usable, and last 2 or 4 hours, approx.)
It has a low power flash or steady mode from 4 non-directional supplelmental LEDS. I rarely use these, but they would be nice on a bike trail to warn oncoming users without blinding them.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-03-22 at 07:42 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-03-22, 08:44 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Another rider was looking for a new tail light last fall. I informally reviewed most of the bright tail lights -- run times, mounting method, etc. The only one I could recommend was the Cygolite.

Ha, those amazon reviews are extreme. The mounting bracket is sturdy and reliable, I have no idea how people are breaking theirs or losing their light. How?!

Get the 200 or the 150.
I have the Hotshot 150, and really like it. A 200 lumen light will appear to be a bit brighter, but not 25% brighter than 150. Vision is similar to hearing, where sound has to double to be just 6 db louder.

The 150 has a noticeably brighter beam than my old Hotshot 2W, and it's also spread out more than the 2W, so aiming isn't critical.

My only complaint is the Cygolite USB rubber plugs, used on most of their current headlights and taillights. These are a bit annoying to plug back in, and seem to fall out occasionally, hanging down from the light. I cut a "rubber band" from an old inner tube, and it fits around the outside of the tail light to help hold the plug in place. That works. (perhaps a piece of electrical tape would work.)

It's a great daytime light! It's visible even in noon sunlight, and really eye catching in sun+shade conditions. Other riders in my group were way ahead on the road, perhaps a quarter mile away. Their blink instantly caught my eye. I want drivers to notice me when they are far back, so they have time to react.

I run the single flash mode, which is a short, sharp full power flash. The other flash modes aren't as effective in the daytime, I think.
The other control button changes the speed of the flash. I have it set to 2 flashes per second, and this mode lasts a long time. I'm guessing 15+ hours? This single flash mode has the best battery life, too.

At night
The flash is too bright at night for a group ride! Way too bright for riders behind me. I switch it to steady mode, and then the second button dials down the intensity. When riding solo when it's dark, I use the "waa-waa" flash, which ramps the brightness up and down. Less annoying to drivers, and distinctive.

~~~
The seatpost hard mount works great, easy and secure. Another rider has the supplied smaller size mount on the seat stay, and that works fine. He has round seat stays. Some bikes have oddly shaped stays, which might not work as well?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Headlight too
I have the Cygolite Dash 520 headlight. It's perfect for me.
The rubber stretch band works with the under-bar-tape brake cables, and allows the light to be pointed up or down as I ride. Hard mounts for handlebars are really annoying to fit on.
The flash mode lasts about 9 hours (per cygolite) and I run it all the time during the day.
The 520 lumens is good if I'm still out after dark, but the full power only lasts an hour. (the half and quarter power are usable, and last 2 or 4 hours, approx.)
It has a low power flash or steady mode from 4 non-directional supplelmental LEDS. I rarely use these, but they would be nice on a bike trail to warn oncoming users without blinding them.
Thank you very much for your informative reply. After this purchase, I will concentrate on purchasing a front light.
Old 04-03-22, 02:16 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Can anyone testify to what it's like to follow the 150 lumen light? I want to be seen by drivers, but I don't want to hurt the eyes of riders who follow me, especially since most who do catch up with me, so the light gets brighter and brighter as they ride.
Old 04-03-22, 05:06 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
if secured & positioned respectfully, no. I would rather you display a very bright light than to have a near wth encounter.
Old 04-03-22, 06:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I agree that light is too bright for a fellow cyclist riding on your wheel. But if you ride solo, it’s fine.
Old 04-03-22, 10:27 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I just bought that light last week but I haven't been out with it yet. I don't do group rides very often but if I do I'll just change the setting to steady or the "waa-waa" flash rm -rf mentions. Rapid flash is annoying in group rides even with dimmer lights.
Old 04-03-22, 10:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Can A Light Be Too Bright?...
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Don't Spend any $$ Until you see the light in Person...
Can A Light Be Too Bright? Yes it can, but more is the position of the light itself. One night I was driving in downtown Austin and had a very, very bright handlebar mounted light shinning right in my eyes from a bicycle coming from the other direction. I am not sure if it was intentional but it did in fact leave me momentarily blinded as it flashed by.
Old 04-04-22, 10:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin's radar is an excellent tail light.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-04-22, 02:33 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Thanks for your responses. If I turned the light on when I was with a group, I imagine I'd turn it off pretty quickly, thanks to comments from other riders.
Old 04-04-22, 02:37 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
No.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton