Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

When your head's just not in the game

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 07-25-22, 09:52 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts

I'm sure this is the same throughout most of N. America and even into Europe but the last few weeks have been very hot and it really peaked over the weekend so that the idea of riding outside was just too unbearable so I thought no problems, I'll jump on Zwift. I've been riding at least 1/week since summer started so I'm keeping up with the updates but I had a bone head move yesterday getting set up for my ride. I got all paired up, jumped on my bike and started pedaling but was spinning like mad, and not really producing much power or speed.

Huh, maybe I have a bad connection, let me shut it all down, and start over. We all know how long that takes - so back on the route and same things? WTF? Oh, my phone had blue tooth on, maybe that was conflicting? turned that off, power down and start all over again.

Still no improvement! Crap, is another trainer dead with no resistance? Well, I need to start riding so screw it, just spin my little brains out and curse my luck. Five minutes into the ride, I look down and see that I'm in the small ring and that's why I'm spinning like mad and going no where.

DOH! Oh well, that's what happens when the brain is not working on a Sunday afternoon and it's really hot out. Was thankful the trainer was fine but annoyed at the time I wasted.

Hope you got a laugh out of that to make your Monday a little better.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 07-25-22, 03:31 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I'm sure this is the same throughout most of N. America and even into Europe but the last few weeks have been very hot and it really peaked over the weekend so that the idea of riding outside was just too unbearable so I thought no problems, I'll jump on Zwift. I've been riding at least 1/week since summer started so I'm keeping up with the updates but I had a bone head move yesterday getting set up for my ride. I got all paired up, jumped on my bike and started pedaling but was spinning like mad, and not really producing much power or speed.

Huh, maybe I have a bad connection, let me shut it all down, and start over. We all know how long that takes - so back on the route and same things? WTF? Oh, my phone had blue tooth on, maybe that was conflicting? turned that off, power down and start all over again.

Still no improvement! Crap, is another trainer dead with no resistance? Well, I need to start riding so screw it, just spin my little brains out and curse my luck. Five minutes into the ride, I look down and see that I'm in the small ring and that's why I'm spinning like mad and going no where.

DOH! Oh well, that's what happens when the brain is not working on a Sunday afternoon and it's really hot out. Was thankful the trainer was fine but annoyed at the time I wasted.

Hope you got a laugh out of that to make your Monday a little better.
Love it. Luckily, I now have a nice display that shows me what "cogs" I'm in. So I have no excuses for how damned slow I am.

Sheesh...
Old 07-26-22, 06:43 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Love it. Luckily, I now have a nice display that shows me what "cogs" I'm in. So I have no excuses for how damned slow I am.

Sheesh...
What tool is this you refer to? I am embarrassed to admit it's not the first time this has happened to me but usually I catch it much quicker so I don't have to re-start so many times.
Old 07-26-22, 06:54 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
If you want to play video games get a Playstation. Otherwise just put a movie on and get to work if zwift(which is lame af anyways) doesn't work.
Old 07-26-22, 07:14 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 725 Posts
What tool is this you refer to? I am embarrassed to admit it's not the first time this has happened to me but usually I catch it much quicker so I don't have to re-start so many times.
I thought the same; how cool is that. Especially when I'm so sweated up that I can't see if I've got another gear...but Dmanthree has a serious indoor trainer, I forget which brand, but it's not a wheel-off trainer like mine. I bet it's part of the display.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 07-26-22 at 07:20 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-26-22, 10:45 AM
dmanthree

This is the display on my Tacx Bike Smart. That's why I put "cogs" in quotes. All the gearing is virtual, and works really well.

Old 07-26-22, 10:46 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I thought the same; how cool is that. Especially when I'm so sweated up that I can't see if I've got another gear...but Dmanthree has a serious indoor trainer, I forget which brand, but it's not a wheel-off trainer like mine. I bet it's part of the display.
Correct, I have the Tacx Bike Smart. Now my only ride.
Old 07-26-22, 11:16 AM
gthomson

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Correct, I have the Tacx Bike Smart. Now my only ride.
Oh that's very cool and yes, can't pull that information up on Zwift at this point. Oh well, will just try and remember to check before each ride. Does your bike have those fans in the cock pit? that looks pretty cool.
Old 07-26-22, 11:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Been there, done that.
Old 07-26-22, 11:33 AM
dmanthree

Oh that's very cool and yes, can't pull that information up on Zwift at this point. Oh well, will just try and remember to check before each ride. Does your bike have those fans in the cock pit? that looks pretty cool.
It does, and while they do help, you still need a bigger model to move the air. One quirk, as well: when you set the fans to "fixed" at hight speed in the app, they're not really fixed. They won't go to high speed until you reach a certain wattage. So while descending, unless you're cranking, no high speed fans. Not a big deal, just weird that "fixed" doesn't mean fixed.